Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: worried. gum pulling away from tooth  (Read 13912 times)

Offline Blah7886

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
worried. gum pulling away from tooth
« on: March 10, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »
My lower gum next to one of my lower teeth has been sore all day...I just looked and it's like...loose around my tooth...like it's pulling away from it. Im terrified of what this might be. I don't have dental insurance right now either...freaking out :(
Bookmark and Share
"I feel numb, I can't come to life...I feel like I'm frozen in time"

Offline DreamsDeciphered

• "If you expect nothing from anyone, you're never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: worried. gum pulling away from tooth
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:22:06 PM »
Is it possible that the gum is just swelling, and not actually pulling away and loose? If that's the case, you could rinse your mouth with salt water and brush. If you don't clean really, really thoroughly, it isn't uncommon at all for your gum to swell a bit and become painful. Happens to me sometimes when I forget to brush before I go to sleep, and I'll wake up that way. Just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, get it checked out. Hope you feel better soon. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Tell all the Truth but tell it slant --
Success in Circuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth's superb surprise

As Lightning to the Children eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind --"
- Emily Dickinson

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
That can happen from overzealous brushing.  I'd be gentle with the area and see if it looks better in a few days.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blah7886

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:27:24 PM »
Well my teeth are very straight except for the tooth that the gum is "pulling" away from has a slight slant and I know that I do floss pretty hard between that tooth and the one next to it because food seems to get lodged between them more than others. And I do brush pretty hard....what scares me is that my gum is kind of white-ish in this spot as well...
Bookmark and Share

Offline *GiRL_21*

• Always scared, feeling so alone.
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Everyday I worry more and more.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »
That happen to me too

Gargle salt water. It's from brushing too hard
Bookmark and Share
</3 so scared </3

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »
It's definitely from brushing too hard.  Be gentle with that toothbrush.  I've got an area like that.  When the gum pulls away, it leaves it open for bacteria, so make sure you continue to floss and rinse your mouth.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blah7886

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 03:55:34 PM »
I called my dentist today because this is still going on and bothering me more than ever...it's really sore and it's like my gum receded because I can see further down the bottom of my tooth than all the others...I'm scared. So I called the dentist and they wont make me an appt because I still owe them some money from my last visit..I am unemployed and have been making payments twice a month so I'm pretty upset about this....idk what to do. I'm scared my tooth is going to fall out!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »
Generally, local colleges or universities offer free dental care to people who can't afford it.  You might want to check that out.  Go easy on the brushing - I've got something like that as well and that's what it's from.  I've had it for years and I just have to be careful with the brush (keep the brush away from the gum) and also use one of those rubber-tipped things to clean out the area. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jeannddp

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 12:29:29 PM »
I've had this too.  I was told by my dentist that when you're under stress or even during your menstrual cycle your gums can get very puffy, red, bleed easily and be more sensitive.  I was told to use a soft toothbrush and before using it put it under hot water to soften the bristles.  Then gently brush the teeth and the surrounding gum area.  You might also rinse with warm salt water.  That's very healing.  Don't worry...you're fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blah7886

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:18:41 PM »
Okay now im really scared.....in this same spot for the past week, i've been feeling like something was stuck between this tooth and the next one (where the gum is completely loose from my tooth). I couldn't get it out with flossing so I thought it was just in my head...well tonight it just drove me nuts so I tried to fish it out with my fingernail and...it wasn't something stuck between my tooth, a tiny piece of my tooth was broke off in between these two and must've been jammed in there....omg i'm freaking out...I don't want to lose my tooth....my dentist wont see me right now because i owe them a couple hundred from my last visit...even though I've been sending them payments every couple of weeks...I would pay the whole thing off but j just graduated school and am unemployed still looking for a job. Idk what to do...I want to cry, I am getting no sleep tonight
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blah7886

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
Anyone? I'm scared I'm going to lose my teeth. I've had quite a few cavities filled and two of my wisdom teeth on top cracked bland broke a few months back...im scared of hiv and I feel like this is why my teeth are having so many problems....the only other thing I can peg it to is that I snack A LOT throughout the day...I've never been one to eat big meals so I just eat really small meals every day....can this cause tooth decay?
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 12:06:13 PM »
im scared of hiv and I feel like this is why my teeth are having so many problems

Our teeth (dental health) are just like any other "issue" we have when we are struggling with anxiety. What we see in our anxious minds is, often, not as bad as we think. Or, at least, it will not cause the worst case scenarios we are envisioning in our minds.

To me, a major precipitating fear in all of this is your HIV fear. This has been a persistent fear for you for some time, if I recall.

Have you had any further thoughts as to an HIV test? Our dominate fear keeps us from seeing a possible helping force in taking an action, sometimes. So through avoidance we can feel we are "protecting" ourselves from what we really fear. Trouble is our fears are, most often, not based in much reason, when we struggle with anxiety. It can be quite a cycle of fear - I understand. But, there are ways to help ourselves. And, pushing through fears to get some things done and to, hopefully, make some fear alleviate is a must. The fears tend to not subside much (or stay subsided long) until we can find the strength to move forward and get something done DESPITE our fear. RARELY does solace come in reverse order. If we keep waiting for us to act (just continuing thinking about doing something), we are gonna keep on waiting for our fears to subside, too. The cycles repeat. And repeat. And repeat.

There is always help and hope:)

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: