Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Numbness/tingling in toes/feet/lower leg, help!  (Read 10713 times)

Offline professionalworrier

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Numbness/tingling in toes/feet/lower leg, help!
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:55:05 PM »
Freaking out that i have something wrong with my circulation or diabetes or MS or Parkinsons or something. have been having pn and off tingling/numbness in my right toes/foot and sometimes also lower leg. It will last up to an hour. It is really scaring me. I emailed my doctor but probably wont hear back until next week.  I do run, usually 5-8 miles, on a treadmill a few times a week but I have been for about 9 months. I am pretty sure it isnt a shoe issue because i had them fitted for me at a running store. Please talk me down!!!!! Omg! :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline hizzy

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
Re: Numbness/tingling in toes/feet/lower leg, help!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 01:09:16 PM »
i've had numbness and tingling in my hands, feet, and sometimes mouth and tongue off and on since my anxiety started 6 months ago.  sometimes it will go on all day.  it's been acting up again today and yesterday after taking a hiatus for a few weeks.  i've been to three doctors who assure me that i am very healthy and do not have MS or parkinson's (two of my fears as well).  if you haven't seen a doctor to rule anything out, then you probably want to do that, but once they tell you that you're healthy and your symptoms are from anxiety, BELIEVE THEM. :happy0151: your anxiety about your symptoms is undoubtedly feeding into the physical symptoms and making them more pronounced, which makes you more anxious, which makes the symptoms pronouced, and so on and so on...it's the HA cycle.  :winking0008:

practice some deep breathing exercises...there are some great guided imagery and guided meditation videos on youtube that i've been using this week with my breathing.  tingling and numbness in your extremities can happen if you get anxious and your breathing becomes fast and shallow.  your body won't exchange oxygen and CO2 like it needs to, so the numbness and tingling results.  normal, not dangerous, and easily corrected with good breathing!
Bookmark and Share
i'm not just a mental health counselor, i'm a mental health consumer, too!

kactusflwr

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »
I had tingling/buzzing feet and shins for almost 3 weeks at one point. Never underestimate the effects anxiety can have on your body; it can and will do very strange things. Try to relax your feet (and your mind) and let it pass. You could also try massaging the tingling areas to bring more blood to them. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline plomeli

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »
Hello. I had a very similar thing happen to me about 2 weeks ago. I went for a walk and after that I started feeling this tingly sensation under the arch of my foot. It came and went but seriously it was terrifying and annoying!!!! Needless to say I was sure I had MS. It lasted for about 2 whole long days and went away. I'm still really nervous about it, it triggered my HA ! I never went to the doc bc I was too scared. Remember to take deep breaths and distract yoursef as much as possible because if you don't you will feel all those sensations even more because of the anxiety. To be honest I think you could hv pulled something or hurt a nerve in your foot. Keep us posted. Take care.
Bookmark and Share
Even when difficulties come into our lives, as they do for all humans "know" our great option is to chose love rather than fear.  -Oprah

Offline Zombie Cupcake

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 03:41:14 AM »
I also get the tingling my toes, feet and lower legs. I even get it in my hands, chest, face mouth and tongue at times too, but my legs and toes are the most common places. It used to freak me out, but i tried to ignore it. a few months ago it was so bad that I was waking in the middle of the night with one whole side of my body being numb or even just going about my business during the day and I would go numb on one half of my body.

At one point my whole left leg was in pain and would go numb. Id wake up and it was completly numb and tingling. The doctors seem to think its possibly sciatica that was causing that.

However, I do notice the more anxious I am, the more I tingling and numbness I get. Sometimes its been so bad Ill try to walk it off and my legs literally begin cramping up and I feel like my legs are going to give out.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: