Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Tired of feeling trapped by anxiety!  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Tanners

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Tired of feeling trapped by anxiety!
« on: February 23, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Tanya and i just came across this site while looking up info (again!) on anxiety and panic attacks.

I'm 29 years old and have been suffering with anxiety and panic disorder for about 3 years now 
I have tried everything from, seeing doctors, taking med's, having counselling and doing CBT.
I'm just at a loss at this stage and don't know what to do. It's effecting my life so badly that i won't go out in public on my own and i'm terrified of returning to work.

Any help or advise will be much appreciate. I will try anything!!

Tanya
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 175
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Tired of feeling trapped by anxiety!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 02:37:31 PM »
Hi T:) I feel ya':) Welcome!

Look around this website and read as many posts as you can to see that you're, certainly, not alone - far from it. When we get in a bad place, it can seem like there is no coming back from it. But, I've 'been to the edge', so to speak, and I've been moving quite well down my healing path for many years now. Do I still have interactions with my anxiety / panic issues? Sure. But, our issues do not have to create gigantic lifeflow interruptions, as they have been shown to do, for sure. Of course it is NOT easy getting some lasting peace. There is can be a lot of exasperating trial and error in finding out what is the best course of action for you, as you know by now. Never give up! This will fail. You, of course, will not get any lasting relief if you give up.

Might you consider another therapist?

Maybe a med again? Meds are very personal, we have to do what we feel is right, of course.

What do you do as far as self-help work? Meditation, visualizations, affirmations, journaling, deep diaphragmatic breathing, self help books, learning about anxiety and panic, exercise, diet, etc.

It takes a pretty diligent gameplan to start moving in the right direction, often. Don't get overwhelmed at everything that might help. Start again slow, learn about a few of ways you can help yourself.

Acceptance, to me, is vital. We have to accept a good deal of our 'lot in life', but we do not have to resign ourselves to letting the 'bad stuff' define us as a whole. We CAN learn how to live quite well along with our anxiety / panic issues. Easy? Nope. But, it is worth every bit of calm, determined, effort you can muster up. The alternative isn't very promising. There is always help and hope:)

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tanners

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:23:43 PM »
Thank you for your reply floridaguy65.

I feel like i'm stuck in that 'bad place' as you said.

I have tried med's (2 kinds), i was on them for about a year. I finished taking them shortly after i ended my therapy. I found therapy very useful and have managed to some things on my own that i would not have done a year ago i.e. driving on my own, going shopping, visiting a friend. I think i need to have a little more faith in myself and what i have learned in therapy! I just find it difficult to have a good consistency as i am not working... I'm terrified to return to work!!

I have a good diet, i eat healthy and for exercise i walk alot with my dog. I have read self help books, done journals and breathing exercises.
It's the fear off having a pain attack that i'm finding very difficult to live with. I always ask myself 'what if?'. I was never like this until i lost my job 3 years ago and i just feel like i'm wasting my life!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline aramisaramis

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 03:38:26 AM »
i know how you are feeling, and like the other poster said, pretty much acceptance is your greatest friend
Bookmark and Share

Offline Katiemush

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:13:18 AM »
Dear Tanners,

I have decided today to start an active sharing of my experience with anxiety, in order to, maybe, help other people who are trapped in the google whirl. As I am at the office, I will be writing fast, so please excuse any typos and grammar inconsistencies.

I am 27 and I started having anxiety symptoms three years ago. It was all mixed with depression. About two years ago I started having panic attacks. One year ago, after failling an exam, my panic attacks became bad enough to call a doctor at home and put an end to the internship I was doing. I would spend my days in bed, feeling really really fearful and physically sick.

After seeing a myriad of doctors I eventually gave in and went to a psy. I refused to take medication because I had had a bad experience with an SSRi. I did start taking St John's Wort for my depression and

Started to see a therapist.

it was the best decision I ever made. 
My panic attacks started recessing and after a few session I started to "feel alive again".
I then found a job and moved to a new country. It was really hard in the beginning and my panic attacks and depression came back. I started looking for a therapist again. I found one who could not help me AT ALL.
I then found another two therapists that I keep seeing.
One does CBT and the other some humanits therapy.
The CBT has helped me a lot. The other not so much, but it's reassuring just to know I can see someone on a regular basis.

What I have realized is that the first therapy that I made, and which changed my life, was a mix of analysis and CBT. 
There are two conclusions I can draw: NOT ALL THERAPIES can help and NOT ALL THERAPISTS ARE THE SAME.

While CBT can definitely help a lot, if your fear comes from a basic low self esteem or other problem of a kind, you need to look into that deeper, to ensure a long-lasting effect.

Finally, maybe you know about this, there is a software called respiroguide. You can also find it on coherencecardiaque.org.  Making these breathing exercises every day can change a lot for me, I would dare to assume that for you too, since panic attacks and anxiety are basically hyperventilation...

Also, I thought google was my best friend three years ago. It proved to be my very worst ennemy...so try to spend less if any time on google/internet/forums from now on. You have more important things to do.

I wish you all the best, know that you are not alone and that you can get better!

CC
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowqueen1958

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:33:31 PM »
As I was reading about feeling trapped by your anxiety it reminded me of a part of chapter in a book wrote a few years ago.  I think I may have needed a reminder of this also.  I hope something in this is a bit helpful.  I am in no way making light of the fears that cause our anxiety...I think I need to remind myself that some of them are gum wrappers....you will see what I mean when you read on

Not all fear is bad
Fear is usually associated with trepidation, alarm, apprehension or concern that an unfavorable event is going to occur in the future. When referring to the future I am talking about the immediate or distant future.

Not all fear is bad. Our bodies and minds have built-in alarm systems. These alarm systems go off when we need protection to keep us from being harmed. 

“Gum wrapper fears”
The problem with some of our alarm systems is that they have been set to super sensitive and go off at the mere suggestion of danger. They are like the motion sensor lights that many of us have on the outside of our homes. Some of them go off even when the wind blows a gum wrapper into the detection range. The gum wrapper is not a threat or intruder but the detection light is not discriminating, all movement causes it to go off. 

How many of us have super sensitive detection alarms that go off at the faintest possibility of failure. There are no guarantees of total success in anything we do.   
If we never risk moving beyond where we are, we will never know how far we could really go. When we choose to move out into unknown territory, we can expect our alarm systems to go off, especially if we are used to living in a state of perceived total control. Our motion detectors will go off if we attempt or even think about certain things, seeing them as a threat. We need to ask ourselves if the threat is real. Are the gum wrapper warnings really non-threatening, or are they valid warnings about something that could cause us harm? 

When the idea first came to me of trying to publish some of my writings, I was terrified. The idea of even attempting to send articles or stories for publication made me feel sick. Gum wrapper warnings were going off in my system like a huge black bear hovering over me with his paws and sharp claws ready to pull pieces of flesh off my body. 

Sending stories and articles to a magazine was foreign to me. I tried to dismiss the idea but it stuck in my mind and would not leave. 

It took me years to begin to view the fear as a gum wrapper and not a ferocious hungry bear. 

A huge part of my fear not only originated from fear of failure but also from the lack of knowledge on how to go about getting a story published.

My habitual mental patterns of seeing ‘gum wrapper fears’ as ‘vicious bears’ ruled my internal alarm system. I needed to reset these thoughts—view them from a different perspective. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline hopeful78

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • www.everylastbreath.com
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 09:29:28 AM »
tanya,

i know what you mean about feeling trapped. i'm going through a hard time with mine (med switching) and it feels like i'll never get back to my baseline okay  (which was always me feeling limited, anywhere--but i'd give anything to get back there!)

i'm 33, and having anxiety at this age feels particularly hard--your "life is just beginning" right? i know, girl. i know. i guess take action of some sort. maybe that's finding another therapist or trying another med. finding a good doctor. connecting here and feeling stronger. taking BABY STEPS. baby steps are the only way out, i think. once you are taking action, you know YOU are doing something and that usually helps.

keep me  posted, and if you ever want to talk, just PM me:)
k

Bookmark and Share
www.everylastbreath.com::A blog about life, panic and purpose.