Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Resting heartrate 105-115?  (Read 9961 times)

Offline mcollz

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Resting heartrate 105-115?
« on: February 19, 2012, 02:12:16 AM »
My normal resting heartrate has always been between 70-80, and today I woke up feeling pretty "meh." I checked my pulse and it was around 105-115 and has been consistently around that all day? I went to the ER and the doctor seemed like it was no big deal?

Anyone have any advice or experience with this? That seems... pretty high, and unusual...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Menaj

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Resting heartrate 105-115?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 03:00:59 AM »
My resting HR has been all over the place depending on where my anxiety is at.  When I've been having a particularly bad time, even when I don't necessarily feel all that bad, I've been up into the 100's.  And the more you check and anticipate, the higher it will go.

And man, I just replied to a bunch of threads and realized just how many symptoms I've had because of my damn HA lol!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mcollz

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 04:36:09 AM »
My resting HR has been all over the place depending on where my anxiety is at.  When I've been having a particularly bad time, even when I don't necessarily feel all that bad, I've been up into the 100's.  And the more you check and anticipate, the higher it will go.

And man, I just replied to a bunch of threads and realized just how many symptoms I've had because of my damn HA lol!

Yea. I decided to buy a blood pressure monitor due to all of the concerns with my heart and health in general. I took my prescribed dose of Xanax at noon and forgot to take the dose at bedtime, and I slept for a decent amount (albeit horrible sleep, nightmares and waking up). I woke up feeling awful. Although, I wasn't that anxious to my surprise...

I decided to take my BP and my pulse was 105, and panic followed. It didn't help that I hadn't showered yet and was ready to rush to the ER (trip number... I've lost count). As a side note, it's always amazing to me that although I was fearing the worst with my heart -- I still HAD to take a shower before I went, how superficial. The wait time was forever, and when they finally took me back and hooked me up, my HR was between 85-125, and when the doctor finally came in... shocker! My HR went back down to 80-95. Although he did mention it was "all over the place," but also "it's not that high."

Sigh, another terrible day. Curious to know if the missed Xanax dosage could have contributed. A long needed family doctor appointment is scheduled for this Monday. I can't wait to update him on the 10+ ER visits since I last saw him.

Thanks for the response. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mcollz

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 06:21:50 AM »
Just an update. It's now 6am and my BP/pulse have returned to "normal." So strange...

Anyone have ideas what could have caused a 6 hour increase? I was fine, went to sleep, woke up feeling funny and when I took my BP/pulse it was sky high (and continued to be while at the ER). Since I've been home I've just drinking a Gatorade and watching some TV, no medicine or food, and it's back to normal.

I know your BP and pulse change throughout the day, but I've been dealing with HA for over a year now, hawkishly watching my body and vitals, and I've never actually spiked to anywhere close to those levels before. This may just be another episode, but new things are always concerning, and I always have it in the back of my mind "is this more than just the anxiety?"
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:37:04 AM »
My heart varies also. Once in a while my resting heart rate is higher and I attribute
it to stress, lack of sleep, working too many hours, etc. I have found that if I drink alcohol,.
my resting heart rate is higher sometimes.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline kactusflwr

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:11:50 PM »
My resting HR is usually around 100...sometimes a little lower, sometimes a little higher. I just checked it and it's 108. Sometimes if I'm anxious or have just eaten a big meal it will go up to 120. Every doctor I've seen has said it's nothing to worry about.
Bookmark and Share
“If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences.” – Thomas Theorem

Online vardnas

• Rec's: 83
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:49:44 PM »
Anyone have ideas what could have caused a 6 hour increase?

I know your BP and pulse change throughout the day, but I've been dealing with HA for over a year now, hawkishly watching my body and vitals, and I've never actually spiked to anywhere close to those levels before. This may just be another episode, but new things are always concerning, and I always have it in the back of my mind "is this more than just the anxiety?"

It could be any number of things, none of which are truly cause for concern. The fact that you so diligently monitor yourself could partially be the cause, you just never know. I don't know how old you are, but I'm about 30, and I had one doctor tell me that at this age, the human heart can beat at 200 bpm for TWO WEEKS and not sustain any damage. That's amazing, if you think about it. The body is a pretty incredible machine, capable of self-correcting and healing much of the time on its own. I know a big trap that we hypos fall into is thinking that at any moment it's going to just fall apart, but that rarely ever happens. Case in point, despite a high pulse and blood pressure, your body was, by itself, able to achieve homeostatis and is back to being its normal self. That's great! Now, it might be a good idea to maybe curtail the incessant monitoring. I doubt it's really doing you any REAL good, now is it?
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline london23

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 09:09:29 AM »
ive started paranoying about my heart rate lately too, its usualy in the 90-100's at resting im in my 20s and the doctor told me its nothing to wory about too, but my anxiety has been high and iv been worried obviously and paranoid specially lately its been focus on my heart rate for some reason, ive been taking propranolol, i feel like i am stuck in a anxiety level i cant get out of..and it gets really hard for me to relax..quite annoying and worrying, i do worry that ill die lol..wish i could have my life back, blessings to all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 28
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 09:30:45 AM »
Probably anxiety.  Mine also goes up when I have a fever, and you mentioned not feeling well - possibly you were running a low temperature without realizing it.  My resting HR is pretty fast as well.  My doctor put me on a beta blocker for it and it's still an average of 84 bpm just sitting around.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline krispy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 02:12:53 PM »
I'm glad your HR returned to normal. For future reference, and because I've had a lot of not-just-anxiety heart stuff:

My resting heart rate is around 67 when I wake up, with low blood pressure. By the end of the day it's between 85-110. It is almost always anxiety/stress-related, and with my history of ED, sometimes dehydration. food and liquid intake can really impact your HR. spicy foods, and greasy, fatty foods force your heart to work harder.  a large meal can easily take a totally healthy person from 75 to 120 for several hours. 

Xanax and other benzos are HUGE for heart rate regulation. When i get close to my Klonopin wearing off, my HR goes up. If you're uncomfortable with a moderately high resting heart rate, ask your doc about beta-blockers. They take me from 85-100 to 70-60, and perfect blood pressure.

The thing is: this can fluctuate second to second. If you insist on hyper-vigilance with constant readings, try to do them a few times consecutively. If the first one freaks you out, sit and try to control your breathing with deep relaxation techniques for 15-20 minutes. keep the cuff on the whole time so you don't have to jump out of the relaxation to get a reading again. Get a reading --  it should be lower. If it's not, really just sit there and focus on breathing for about 3-5 minutes, and take it again. Wait a minute and take it again, if you want. If it goes up during this space of about half an hour, it would seem that taking readings is NOT helpful, and you should probably desist with those in general because they are contributing to your high HR. If it fluctuates, that means that your body is responding to anxiety and your attempts to control it. If it gets lower, congrats: you are taking control of your anxiety.

Maybe this perspective will help: if you're less than 40 years old -- you won't die of a heart attack. Especially from relatively mild tachycardia.  It's just not going to happen. Unless you have a really significant underlying problem or are doing a lot of drugs. When I was severely anorexic and weighed about as much as a sack of lentils, doctors were constantly freaking out over my heart -- too fast, too slow, skipping, you name it. I learned waaay more about hearts than I would have liked. I developed mitral valve prolapse and other more serious arrhythmia things which went away after I got healthier. I had a friend in treatment who DID have a heart attack at 23, but she weighed about 68 pounds, and -- she lived.  Bottom line: the body is immensely resilient. you are not going to have a horrible cardiac event if your pulse goes up and stays up in the mild tachy range. Nothing bad is going to happen to you.
Bookmark and Share
you must go on. i can't go on. i'll go on.

Tags: