Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Stomach Problems....So tired of this.  (Read 515 times)

Offline Todohert

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Stomach Problems....So tired of this.
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
Since December I've been suffering with constipation, nausea and some indigestion.  This happens if I eat to much.  I wake up at night and my stomach feels nausea and kind of hurts.  If I push on my stomach I can feel it go up into my esophagus.  I can hear my intestines making noise like it's digesting and I have pains on my left rib cage.  I think the worst part if waking up (and knowing that I will wake up) every night thinking that I have cancer or that I'm going to have to go to the Dr and have tons of test and how anxious I'm going to be waiting for the results.  I was put into surgical menopause almost two years ago and over the last few months my hormones have been very unbalanced.  I'm wondering if this could be part of the my stomach problems. 

Has anyone else gone through this?  Suggestions of things to try?

I did start taking Miralax and that has helped with my constipation, but it seems like my bowels are a lot thinner.  I take Miralax twice a day but maybe I need to only take it once?  I'm heard to much fiber can make your stools thin because they past to quickly.

I know this is a miss-mash of questions, but I'm not sure where else to ask.

Also, can anyone suggest a video about dealing with anxiety?  I think I actually have carcinophobia because I always worry about cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Stomach Problems....So tired of this.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:47:38 PM »
I've had alot of issues during peri and menopause ..... alot of it can be attributed to ibs (irritable bowel syndrome) which is pretty common with women.

I went through a bout of it this past week because of a stressful event that was taking place yesterday and after the event it "magically" went away.  Totaly predictible.  Of course, today I woke up with a  migraine! LOL  You can't win with this stuff.

Anyway, what really helped me was eating a high fiber cereal in the morning (Fiber One).  It has 11 grams of fiber per bowl. Also, fruits and vegies and drink alot of water.  Exercise helps, too.  I've had the pains akin to what you're talking about - all over, lower left and right quadrant, up towards my diaphragm and yes, even into my esophagus.  After I deal with the stress it goes away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Todohert

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:50:44 PM »
Linda,  Thank you for responding. 

I'm noticing that I can't eat large meals anymore (which is a good thing I guess) since that is when I seem to get indigestion.  Last week I had a lot of fiber and it really messed up my stomach so I need to find the correct balance.  I'm sure walking would help also.  Fingers crossed I can get this all fixed.

Bookmark and Share

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:53:32 PM »
Walking will do you some good - any movement will!

I've had to change my fiber intake over time as well.  Our bodies change as we age.  I used to be able to eat in the evening and can't anymore - more things cause me indigestion.  Smaller meals work alot better for me, too, which is probably good, as that's a more healthy way to eat.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tlynn

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:55:06 AM »
Honestly, I could of written your exact post word for word, because I am experiencing everything you mentioned.  My GI problems started last summer with mostly nausea and pain just below my sternum.  I had an endoscopy done in August and my dr. found an ulcer ( I asked on a scale of 1-10 how bad, and he said a 4, but boy I thought it would of been a 10 with all the pain and symptoms!!)  Anyway, he put me on Dexilant (a really expensive Prilosec) because everything else bothered my stomach. 

I started feeling better within about a month and started going back to my old way of eating (with all the holidays) and  about the first week in Dec. I start having  ALL the same symptoms you are talking about now. (Not the exact same as before except the mild nausea) I go back to the GI dr. 3 weeks ago and he doesn't seem that concerned, and tells me to go another 3 weeks with the Dexilant.  I do and its not working like before and really, I think it makes it worse.  I stuck out the 3 weeks, (I even went on a seven day cruise first week of Jan. and hardly ate anything..just baked potatoes and yogurt...Really!!) 

But now I'm back still feeling about the same as when it started in Dec. and wondering what I should do.  I really don't want to go back on meds. so I'm trying some natural remedies that worked somewhat with the ulcer.  (DGL, ginger, aloe vera juice etc.)  I think it might be gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining) and also eat small meals. 

I really struggle with anxiety at times, and dealing with some stress in my life right now and think that's what caused the ulcer in the first place.  They tested me for H. pylori and gluten and all came back negative.  I am 54, and have the indigestion (especially after a big meal) shade of green nausea, and constipation. I get bloated, and feel like my food is in my stomach too long. I also have the pain just below my left ribcage at times...I've heard that can be IBS. (See, I told you we are the same!!)  I try treating the constipation with fiber (prunes, fruit, salads, juicing, etc) and it aggravates my stomach more! I hate taking any laxatives !! I'm trying to eat a really bland diet now.   What a catch 22. 

I got on this sight tonight because I have been feeling so discouraged about it.  Thank you for your post...at least I feel I'm not alone.  My HA starts up at night when I'm feeling crummy and I come here to try to calm myself down.  Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.  I would like to share in anyway I can. Maybe between the two of us we can figure out what it is.....:))
Have you been to a GI dr.?  I really don't care for my dr....he's in the room for no more than 5 minutes and just getting a few answers to my questions is like nailing honey to a tree.  I've thought about changing drs, to get a second opinion, but wonder if it would be worth the trouble.   Sorry for the long story!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: women menopause?