Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Dentist says its a clogged salivary duct, I can't rest easy though  (Read 1667 times)

Offline anxietymcc

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
I have a semi-hard, movable, non-irritated little bump in the soft-tissue of my lower gum that is probably half the size of an eraser at the end of a pencil, and at a dental check up today I asked the hygienist about it. She said ya, definitely feel that, let's ask teh dentist when she comes in. The dentist took one feel around and said 'probably a blocked salivary duct', I asked if there was any reason to keep an eye on it or be concerned, and she said 'nope, come back in 6 months for  a cleaning and we'll look at it." There is no nasty ulceration, no hard immobile mass, but I'm convinced its some malignancy and the dentist was being dismissive. Am I nuts? Should I get a second opinion? This made me feel like it was at least okay to deal with after the holidays, but I have a feeling anxiety is going to get the best of me here and convince me its something more than what the dentist explained.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrysalot

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dentist says its a clogged salivary duct, I can't rest easy though
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 12:53:13 AM »
I had this about a year ago. I was so freaked out by the lump I went to the professer of oral surgery at a medical school. He said that form of cancer was very rare and that many lump type things are in that area of the mouth.

You dont have it do dont worry. I have weird lumpy things in alot of places!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mantooth

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 04:54:03 AM »
If only our bodies weren't so elaborate and lumpy, hypochondriacs would have nothing to worry about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SineMetu

• Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • "I never think of the future-it comes soon enough"
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 09:40:56 PM »
I was just to the dentist for a regular checkup and I asked the same questions about an identical lump you described.  I've had it though for over 5 years and it's caused me no problems.  They suggested sucking on some really sour lemon drops for a while or some citrus fruit.  Sometimes that'll be enough to clear out the duct or even pop out a small stone if one is there.  Maybe you could try doing that?  Otherwise, unless it's causing you pain or it grows larger, I don't think it's anything to worry about.  :)
Bookmark and Share
"Perhaps you do carry within you the possibility of creating and forming...train yourself for that--but take whatever comes, with great trust, and as long as it comes out of your will, out of some need of your innermost self, then take it upon yourself, and don't hate anything."
-Rainer Maria Rilke

Offline anxietymcc

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:26:16 PM »
At what point is it worth going to get a second opinion? It seems to shift in size and is mobile, which I guess is a good sign vis-a-vis oral ca.

When I chew gum, it seems to get smaller. I haven't tried the citrus sucking candies, I'll try that, thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline believe27

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 02:24:22 PM »
I went through the same thing a few months ago...was convinced it was oral cancer/tumor so went to 2 different doctors, they said it was "mucocele"a blocked salivary gland. They can get really big and uncomfortable and often caused by accidentally biting down on your lip/cheek. It went away on its own but the doctors of course offered a quick surgical procedure to drain it. I'm glad I didn't go with it because it went down in a few weeks. Hope that helps!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: