Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Baggy Eyes; Causes and Remedies, Anyone?  (Read 780 times)

Offline Aja

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Baggy Eyes; Causes and Remedies, Anyone?
« on: December 08, 2011, 12:52:53 PM »
Ok, so I'm  20 year old from Hawaii with anxiety.
Noticed that my eyes (specifically under my left one) have gotten really baggy today, baggier than usual, which I found odd since I got about 5 hours of sleep that night (better than my 4-3 hours of sleep).
I'm wondering if it's a sinus problem? I would always wake with one nostril being stuffy in the mornings, which would clear up later in the day.
Could this also be allergies? The weather has been super cold here, so I think it might be affecting that. I've never had allergy issues before in my life (my mother has them though), but if I have this whole time, it wasn't affecting me in any way. 

Is anyone else having a similar issue? I know it's such a minor little thing, but I'm just wondering what the exact root problem is so I can give my eyes some relief. I look worse than my mother, haha. If I have to go to a doctor about it, I will, but not for another week or so after my period is done with since I'm irregular. Some tips to help me out would be very appreciated =)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
Re: Baggy Eyes; Causes and Remedies, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 04:46:50 PM »
It could definitely be allergies. My family had a cat in high school, and I woke up every day with a slightly stuffy nose and red, baggy eyes. When I went to college, it all cleared up (no cat). 

I suspect the reason one eye is baggier than the other is that you're sleeping on your side. Sorry to be a bit gross, but mucus is a liquid, so it flows with gravity. If you're having allergies and sleeping on your side, you're going to generate mucus that's going to settle in your lower ear, eye and nose.

Fix the allergies or allergen, and you should wake up with fresh eyes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Aja

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 05:59:52 PM »
This has only been happening since my anxiety started, so it's odd to think I have allergies. I haven't noticed anything different in my daily schedule. But I should probably see a doctor about it anyway.
I also do sleep on my side, so that probably adds to the swelling. I'll probably take more vitamin c too.

Thank you for the input =)
Bookmark and Share

MattyM

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 12:03:13 AM »
5 hours of sleep is NOT enough.  And if you normally get 3-4 hours of sleep, there's gonna be consequences.  The body cannot function 100% on that amount of sleep.  Bags under your eyes are a definite symptom of sleep deprivation, if you can try to get at least 7 hours for a couple nights in a row you'll notice that they'll improve a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Aja

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:01:13 PM »
Problem solved! I figured that since I was getting the bags and stuffy nose in bed, I might be allergic to dust mites. So I washed my pillows and beddings yesterday and took a quick shower before sleeping. This morning, I woke up at 2 in bed, but without a stuffy nose. Got up at 6 and noticed the bags under my eyes werenít as prominent.
Thanks for the advice, Slangevar! Now I know I need to make sure my bed is clear of the monsters more often. Iíve had this problem for a good 3 weeks which would add to my anxiety; Iím so glad I found a solution to the problem. =) 

And yes Matty, I do know that's not enough sleep, but it's something I literally cannot control and is linked to my anxiety. I go to bed at 10:00 or 11:00 and wake up randomly around 2:00-4:00. Once I do, I start to get conscious of my breathing and can't fall asleep again (lucky if I do, but only for an hour or 2). Getting 7 hours sounds like a challenge for a lot of people, especially in this community..I've been running on low sleep ever since middle school, even before my anxiety, so of course I have bags. Not to mention I'm on the computer for the majority of the time which only adds to it. But I don't mind it, they don't look that bad. I only had a problem that one morning a few days ago where it looked really bad which turned out to be allergy related. I could see a doctor about my sleep pattern if it gets worse. But for now, I seem fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NightMare77

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »
Have you tried cold cucumber slices under your eyes?   They are great at getting puffiness down.  :)
Bookmark and Share
When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul. Psalm 94:19

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 12:50:50 PM »
Excellent - well done, Aja!  Isn't it nice when something small "cures" something we're worried about?

(The other nice thing: you've totally reminded me I need to wash our pillows & bedding. My husband and I have been waking up with stuffy noses for over a week... I thought it was a cold, but it's not getting better or worse. Stupid dust mites!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Aja

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 02:35:59 PM »
Yeah, I guess I have some minor allergies to the mites. It makes me realize that I should really clean out my room sometime soon.

And I did a little more research for my eyes. It seems that I don't have much of a puff, it's more of dark circles under my eyes. Most likely from my lack of sleep, stress and allergies.

I used to use cucumbers when I was younger (for fun, haha), but maybe I should give them a shot again. Also read that cold tea bags can work (which is great since I have a cup of chamomile a day). I've read somewhere online that doing it too much can be bad for the blood vessels though, since they're forcing them to shrink. If anything, I'll try my best to get more sleep and some home remedies.

Thanks everyone~
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ravens Lady

• Rec's: 42
  • As a Lady thinks, so she is.....
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »
Dark circles you are dealing with?  Most likely its some combination or a few of the following:

-Lack of sleep
-Thin skin (Which is genetic, and also occurs as we age)
-Allergies
-In some people it is a discoloration that they are born with, this occasionally occurs with people with dark complexions. 

Dark eye circles in and of themselves are nothing to be overly concerned with.  Some people just have the genes for them, unfortunately... I'm one.  Add to that a lack of sleep, and there ya go.  And don't ever believe the claims they can be fixed with some jar of creme.  That's just a money-making lie.  The only thing to counteract them is sleep, to be healthy, and to use concealer. 

Puffiness is usually more associated with allergies but occasionally dark circles can be associated with allergies as well. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Aja

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 04:36:27 PM »
It's a relief to know that my eyes aren't as bad as I thought (glad to know I have allergies now too). My left side is a tad bit puffy, but I think it is mostly sleep and stress that's affecting it. The dark circles I can live with. I doubt it's genetic for me, so I'll just see what I can do to make them look a little less prominent. And you're right Ravens, I shouldn't be spending money on any creams for something so minor. I'll try some natural home remedies instead. If my allergies are the problem, I should probably take some allergy medication.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: