Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: CANCELLED ENDOSCOPY and COLONOSCOPY again  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Weng

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
CANCELLED ENDOSCOPY and COLONOSCOPY again
« on: December 07, 2011, 02:10:24 PM »
HI I am Weng. I cancelled my my endoscopy and colonoscopy appointment again for the nth time. Last minute I was so anxious I almost broke down. I am so afraid of sedation, thinking I won't be able to wake up or make it... I have read posts about this many times and even printed it. Now it's 3am and I can't sleep because it's hard for me to swallow... I have had GERD for 15 years as far as I can remember and this year it has gotten worse. I hyperventilate everyday.... I lost weight because of worrying about these procedures. I was diagnosed with GAD back in 2001 when I had a nervous breakdown.. Now... I am still so worried and cancelling didn't help me feel better at all. Now I am thinking about probably having cancer, esophageal cancer or throat or gastric cancer or whatever serious..Please please help me... Anyone who's going through the same thing please please please.... T.T . I am a 32-year old mom. GOD help us...
Bookmark and Share

Offline tchat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: CANCELLED ENDOSCOPY and COLONOSCOPY again
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 02:51:57 PM »
Hi,i had a colonoscopy back in july and as far as i know,you dont need to be put to sleep,i also had an endoscopy in which you need to be put to sleep.

Maybe you can start with the colonoscopy?They injected me stuff to relax only,Fentanyl and Versed,i was awake all the time and feel nothing,15 min later it was done.

good luck

Bookmark and Share

Offline xxchrom

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »
I'm sorry you're going through all this stress. Have you ever had either of these procedures done before? I had an endoscopy (was under anesthesia) several years ago due to a long history of GERD and it came back fine (well, "fine" meaning I have GERD but no Barrett's esophagus or cancer or h. pylori bacteria). My insurance required it to justify the prescription medication I take. I'm due to have my first  routine colonoscopy screening sometime next year. I was extremely nervous about the endoscopy -- not the procedure itself, but the results (which I was convinced would be bad). The procedure was actually no big deal but then I am not phobic about anesthesia. Not getting the test but having the need looming over you is a very difficult position to be in. I would urge you to either go through with it once and for all or to discuss alternatives with your doctor. You can't stay in limbo forever or you'll just perpetuate this unhealthy level of stress in your body (which isn't helping your GERD, by the way).
Bookmark and Share

Offline stlrfan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »
Well my biggest fear has always been getting a IV, Being put out, or surgery. It was a year ago that I was having stomach issues and my doc wanted a colonoscopy done and I was very scared because I was going to be put out. Well drinking the stuff the night before is definitely by far the worst thing about it. I had my wife take me and I was so nervous and I went in and they started the IV in my arm and by now I am having bad anxiety and my heart rate was going up pretty high and the nurse was so great and she told me that I needed to calm down and she started to show me how to breath and get my heart rate down. Doing that not only helped me out then it still helps me out today when i get anxiety really bad. Well i finally got myself calmed down on my own and they wheeled me in to the room and told me to lay on my side and she told me to just close my eyes and relax ( they new I was very nervous before wheeling me in so i think they gave me a pretty good dose) because i closed my eyes and I had one or two thoughts that entered my mind and i was out. I started to wake up after the procedure in the recovery room and i remember hearing my wife say he is waking up and the nurse turned around and started to further wake me up and I said I am not done yet put me back out. I have been so scared all my life to be put out and I could not believe i did it and I actually liked it. The best sleep I have ever had, I really wanted to sleep longer. I did not feel that they had even done anything to me. And after doing that and everything was good It helped me out so much with anxiety because now I know how to calm myself down with the breathing and I am not scared to be put out. If I can do it anyone can do it. Drinking a gallon of that stuff is the worst. Just stay close to the bathroom and get you something to read. It was also so much weight and worry off my back knowing that everything was OK and being put out is kind of cool. You should see if they will give you a Valium or Xanax before you go in and that will probably get you thru it. I learned allot about my self that day. Get it done and you will look back and be like why was I scared of taking a good nap. Good luck you can do it and then you will not have to worry about the stomach issue again which will save you some anxiety from day to day. By the way I am 35 years old and have had anxiety for about 8 years. Get it done
Bookmark and Share