Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Breast Discoloration! Trying not to worry, but...  (Read 9903 times)

Offline Itzomi

• Rec's: 12
  • PANIC DEVELOPMENT ENTHUSIAST
    • Poke This Member
Breast Discoloration! Trying not to worry, but...
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
The other day while trying on clothes at a store, I noticed in the mirror that my left breast had discoloration on the bottom part, an area about 3" across.  I could see lots of tiny little veins under the skin as well in that area.  (Those dang mirrors show way more than I wanna see!!)  It's slightly reddish and it seems to come from under the skin, not so much the skin itself.  I'm fair-skinned, age 46, and if it matters, that same side is larger and dense, and my breasts overall are large. 

Doesn't inflammatory breast cancer cause discoloration?  Does anyone else have this problem?  I want to tell myself it could be hormonal, but I have never heard of women complaining about this before!

I did schedule an appointment with my GP for next Tuesday, but...that's next Tuesday!! 

Any responses would be appreciated!  Thanks!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxchrom

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Breast Discoloration! Trying not to worry, but...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:03:59 AM »
I understand how panicked you must be feeling right now but remember it may well be something completely benign... including just irritation from your bra, sweat, detergent, etc. Do not freak yourself out further by Googling, either! Seems like almost any symptom one searches for will include some type of cancer as a possible (even if very remote) cause. It's great that you're going to the doctor on Tuesday and that's not too far away... even if it feels like forever in your state of mind. Also remember that all women have some asymmetry in breast size, especially those of us who have larger cup sizes. Sending you lots of good, calming thoughts. You'll be OK!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Itzomi

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:11:08 PM »
Thank you SO much for your reply!!!  I really appreciate the calming words!!

I'm proud of myself for not googling - I know that's a recipe for disaster!!  But I can't help but hear that discoloration is not a good thing...but again, inflammatory breast cancer is indeed very rare...

Anyway, thanks again for the reply!!  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline countrygirl

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 03:06:27 PM »
I have always had redish veiny patches on my breasts that move to different areas but are predominently like yours lower down- infact I have just had a peep :spineyes:and I have it on both breasts. As I have had loads of exams plus routine mammo and ultrasound and its normal for me I assumed it was normal for most people.
I think its just thin skin and the temp of that bit of breast showing the blood vessels beneath.  I also get little red spots on my breasts as well but again always had them so I know they are nothing.
Inflammatory breast cancer is more like a painful rash or what appears to infection or abcess in breast.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Itzomi

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
I have always had redish veiny patches on my breasts that move to different areas but are predominently like yours lower down-

I also get little red spots on my breasts as well but again always had them so I know they are nothing.

I get the tiny red spots, too!!!  Oh my gosh, you just made my day!!!!  I was feeling like a freak here!!!

I hope more people say they experience this, too, and I will feel even better, but you made me feel dang good as it is!  I really, really appreciate you letting me know I'm not alone.  This is not exactly something people discuss at the water cooler so I had no idea others had this same issue.  WHEW...  I can breathe a sigh of relief!!

Thanks again!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedchris

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:17:31 PM »
Hi
I recently had a massive panic about IBC for two months (I am ok!). I totally feel for you, I know how horrendous my experience was...but here are some things I learned that might help:

As the others said, it is very rare.
I saw two surgeons, an OBGYN, two GPs, two radiologists and and ER doc and all said that the discolouration I had (also on the underside, but more on one side than the other) was hormonal and benign and probably triggered by birth/nursing in my case. (also had multiple ultrasounds, biopsies, mammos, you get the picture!).
In addition to discolouration, I had peau d'orange, and swollen nodes in my armpit. Everything on the net said it could only be disastrous but all the above docs were certain it wasn't. (I did have mastitis as well which coincided with my discovery of the discolouration). It took me a long time to accept they were right, only because of my prior googling, so good on you for not going there :angel-smiley-006:
IBC progresses quickly so typically the changes wouldn't be subtle and would be worsening quickly.
Skin on breasts is just like skin anywhere else and can be irritated by heat, detergent, sweat, allergies, infection etc - one thing to think about might be how worried you would be if this was on your arm instead. All the things that can irritate skin are far more common and treatable than anything scary.
I spent a lot of time on an IBC forum and learned that the vast majority of posters who came there worried they had IBC in fact did not.

I hope this helps. As I said, I know how scary it is to worry about these things, but I really hope I've helped. Hang in there. Tuesday will come and you'll be able to get a medical review and we're here for you in the meantime. :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Itzomi

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 03:43:12 PM »
Chris, this is weird...I replied to your post the other day, but it didn't show up!!  Hmmm... Maybe I did something stupid...operator error?  ;*)

Anyhoo , THANK YOU so much for your reply!!!!   You are a doll for offering your insight!!  I'm sorry to see that you've also had this worry, but what you learned through your experience greatly helps me!!  I guess it could indeed be hormonal - I had an inkling it might - but, you know, there's that little devil on your shoulder that goes "tap tap tap" and says, "Remember that email that was passed around? You never know!!"  I'm just thankful I didn't google and came here first.  Whew!!

Thanks again so much!!!!!   :action-smiley-065: 
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedchris

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 04:16:46 AM »
So glad I could help...hope you can enjoy the weekend. There are lots of possible benign explanations and hormones can do wacky things! Take care and let us know how you go.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxchrom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 08:30:36 AM »
Hey, do keep us posted on your doctor's visit. I'm so glad you posted here too and got a little peace of mind! Women supporting women -- it's a good thing  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: