Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Xanax and Buspar? Safe to take together?  (Read 6183 times)

Offline darkskywaves

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Xanax and Buspar? Safe to take together?
« on: November 14, 2011, 03:56:12 PM »
I was prescribed Xanax for a little bit as I was really bad off with the withdrawal symptoms of taking Lexapro for about a year and a half. The doctor wants to try Buspar with me to see if there will be a benefit since the major problem I have is GAD. But I worry about the fact that Buspar and Xanax though not EXACTLY the same, do work in that similar fashion of Antianxiety(not really for depression). I'm worried that these drugs might interact badly. Has anyone taken this combination? Also if I was taking Xanax only temporarily(Talking about 3 days now, took 2.5 mg the first day, 1 mg the second and only took a .5 mg the third) If I want to discontinue it, should I take it for a bit and taper to .25? or since it's been not long, can I discontinue it? I only ask because I know of the seizure risk with Xanax and that it's the most powerful of the benzos.

Would appreciate any comment. Thank you so much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Xanax and Buspar? Safe to take together?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 06:36:28 AM »
Firstly it is a case of trusting in your doctor. I see no reason why any doctor would give out two forms of medication that couldn't be taken together. If this was the case he should be struck off. Little bit of faith in the doctor to begin with. Give it a go. See how you feel. 3 days is no time at all. You won't have any withdrawls after 3 days of usage. If you do it is all in your mind. You would need to be taken xanax for a month or longer to have to slowly come off them. Even a month is a short time. I was on them for over a decade. 3 days is nothing at all. It would amaze me if you felt any withdrawls at all. If in doubt you can contact your local chemist. They are great with information. You don't always have to contact the doctor. The chemist is free of charge. Will be able to put your mind at ease.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline darkskywaves

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 05:05:38 AM »
I should add that previous to this the week before, I took about 10 mg of Ativan in the span of 7 days. I tried to cut Xanax off, and lasted about 30 hours, but when I hit that mark, I had the shakes, a major headache and my blood pressure(diastolic) was up to 90. I think this is something I'm definitely going to have to taper off of, I don't wish to have any seizures or any major events happen as seems to be the case with this strong Benzo. I'm going to my GP tomorrow and we'll see how it goes from there. Hopefully he'll understand this isnt a drug I can just cut.
Bookmark and Share

Offline wez4816

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:07:35 AM »
There is a way to come off Benzo drugs in a safe manner slowly, in set incements set and followed by a DR. I agree with trusting your Dr. and being open with them on  with how you feel along the way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryanwiz

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »
I took both together with no issues. (AT LOW DOSES, however:  Buspar ***** 10mg/x2 per day and Xanax ***** .125mg as needed.)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: