Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hot red rash on neck that keeps spreading-what is it???  (Read 3406 times)

Offline kellysmum

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Hot red rash on neck that keeps spreading-what is it???
« on: October 30, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
I have good old regular anxiety and extreme health anxiety.  Last Monday, I noticed a little red, round spot on my neck.  I figured it was irritated from my acne medication and ignored it.  I already had an appointment with the dermatologist the next day for another reason, and he looked at it and said it looked like I had been in contact with something that irritated my skin and gave me steroid cream to put on it.  So I do.  And I wake up in the middle of the night with the whole left side of my neck red and inflamed and itchy.  I used more of the cream on the area and when I got up in the morning it had subsided somewhat.  But whenever I sleep or use the shower, my neck gets red.  On Friday night it had spread to the middle of my neck and the base of my throat after I showered, and it is still there.  I talked to the nurse at the derm. office on Friday, and she said it takes two weeks for a month for a rash like mine to clear up.  I told her it was spreading, and she said keep using the steroid cream and relax.  Relax?!  Who knows where this hideous, itchy rash will spread to next?   

So I have another appointment with the dermatologist on Nov. 8th and I can't settle down.  I am so scared of being covered with an itchy rash from head to foot.  I have changed everything, from soaps to lotions to laundry detergent, trying to eliminate what is irritating me.  My family doc says it's related to stress and won't go away until I settle down.  I see my TDoc Tuesday.  Is my family doc right?  Am I just totally stressed or do I have something really wrong with me?  Help!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hot red rash on neck that keeps spreading-what is it???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
Hard to say without actually seeing the rash. Do you wear a necklace by any chance?  My sister and MIL developed terrible allergies to cheap metals - if my sister wears any, her skin erupts in a big, red, warm rash, which takes a while to clear up. There's also the possibility of dermatitis from something like your acne med or even sweat.

I would take heart in the fact that your dermatologist isn't worried about it and try to relax - it probably is stress or contact dermatitis.  But obviously if it does continue to spread outward, or you see it following the trail of a blood vessel, go to your GP and get it looked at again.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: