Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Dark Dot/ Spot Inside Right Cheek (oral cancer)  (Read 54891 times)

Offline anxietymcc

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Dark Dot/ Spot Inside Right Cheek (oral cancer)
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
Hi all, I've been posting a lot recently about my worries over oral cancer, which has been bothering me for some months now. I've had various sores, bumps and what not that have healed and gone away, but just as I seemed to be on the other side I noticed a dark red/almost black spot/dot on the inside of my right cheek. It is probably a bit bigger than the size of a pin, not raised, presents no pain and seems fairly regularly shaped. I sometimes bite the inside of my cheeks, which could be a factor, but I'm not sure (those kind of things usually are white-ish scars).

I'm going to keep an eye on it but I just can't shake the feeling that my phase of social smoking (I've maybe smoked the equivalent of two packs of cigarettes over the course of the last 10 months) and college that many people engage in at this time of life (I'm 19 years old) will cause some kind of oral pharyngeal cancer soon.

Any thoughts on this kind of dark discoloration/dot within an otherwise clear mouth? I had an oral cancer screening at my dentist in mid-June and JUST visited an oral surgeon about my wisdom teeth/a bony outgrowth in my jaw, but he didn't do much looking outside of my mouth besides an x-ray, and I of course stupidly smoked a bit in the interim. I've made a resolution to stop, we'll see if I can hold it.

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sanque

• Hypo Extraordinaire
  • Rec's: 2
  • The Sanque Abides...
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dark Dot/ Spot Inside Right Cheek (oral cancer)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:48:16 PM »
i am currently suffering from the exact same fear as you based on almost the same amount of smoking. ive smoked more than 2 packs over the course of 6-9 months, im 25, social drinker, etc.

been to 2 drs, a dentist, and an ent who all said im fine. broke down, had a smoke 2 nights ago, instantly went back into panic mode that i had given myself cancer again. looked in my mouth with a flashlight and found at least 2 new spots that worry me.

your chances are very low. even lower than mine, that you would have oral cancer from that tiny tiny tiny amount of smoking. try not to look in your mouth for a while. it gets easier as time goes on and you may find yourself worrying about it less and less.

if you come up with otehr advice, please pass it on, as i could use it too =\
Bookmark and Share

Offline lincolnsmama7709

• God give me strength
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:12:35 PM »
Even though I'm a hypo, I've been smoking since I was 18 (10 yrs now) and never even considered having oral cancer.  The amount of time that you guys have been smoking is ridiculously small- even I haven't been smoking that long in the big scheme of things.

I just quit because I'm pregnant, and hope I don't start up again after I have this baby, like I did with my son.  But, it's so hard to kick, even if in the back of my mind I have thoughts about what I'm doing to my body.

You honestly have NOTHING to be worried about!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sanque

• Hypo Extraordinaire
  • The Sanque Abides...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:28:21 PM »
the mouth is just a screwed up place to look at if you really go digging.

there is literally bumps, scrapes, scratches, etc. EVERYWHERE. ughhhh
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sanque

• Hypo Extraordinaire
  • The Sanque Abides...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
not to mention i have giant tonsils full of crypts, tonsil stones, scar tissue, and god knows what else. and i hate being able to see my veins in the back of my mouth.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allochka

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 02:22:39 PM »
I was worrying about oral cancer some time ago, after finding red spot at the back of the throat. The doctor said I probably injured my throat with a toothbrush and this is a spot from punctured blood vessel. And yes, it dissappeared after several days  :winking0008:
So maybe you also slightly injured your cheek?
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietymcc

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »
Yea, I've noticed a few other red spots since I started but none of them are as big as this one, and this one is tiny. The others are just like little red streaks.

eeehhhh
Bookmark and Share

Offline ms anxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 12:07:28 PM »
im in the oral cancer scare too. i thought only white spots were bad from what i read....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sanque

• Hypo Extraordinaire
  • The Sanque Abides...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 01:00:29 PM »
actually white could just be luekoplakia and only 4% of those go on to be cancer. usually its caused by some irritation, like smoke, or dentures, and if you get rid of the irritation they normally go away.

if you have bright red spots and such, thats what is more worrisome...according to google =\
Bookmark and Share

Tags: