Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: alcohol related anxiety  (Read 3899 times)

Offline thehaug12

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
alcohol related anxiety
« on: September 03, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »
I am posting here today to discuss my alcohol related anxiety. I started drinking when i was 15 (19 now).  Over the next 3 years the drinking got heavier and more frequent, lots of this can be attributed to an emotional trauma in my early teens. My binge drinking started to cause problems with my family, school, and overall mental health my junior year in highschool. I didnt know I had anxiety at the time, but i had all of the emotional symptoms, unusual fears, worring about the person i was turning into or losing control completly. I didnt get any physical anxiety symptoms until this previous summer. Im not sure how common this is but there was an instant onset of the physical symptoms after 24 hours of straight drinking. I took my last shot that night and then started to feel weird fluttery feelings in my chest and tightness in my ribcage. Right after i started feeling this i couldnt get the fear of impending doom out of my head. I went to the ER that night got an ekg done and they said everything was fine. The physical symptoms persisted and i started to become somewhat of a hypocondriac, i would spend hours a day looking at symptoms of diseases and thinking that i had them. After about a month i began to realize that i was fine and that anxiety was what was causing these problems. I still drink occasionally and whenever i start drinking all of my symptoms completly go away after a few drinks, however the morning after drinking the physical symptoms get extremely bothersome. I am trying to think positively and tell myself that my physical symptoms are anxiety related, but its not always easy.

I would appreciate any feedback, expecially from people who have alcohol related anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline camel

• Rec's: 83
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
Re: alcohol related anxiety
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 01:16:11 PM »
Hi Haug, welcome to the site

Glad you found us. I know you will find plenty of info and support here.
Regarding the alcohol. Yeah that is a common formula, you feel great while drinking but the next day you are even more anxious, so you drink again and again etc.
The best bet is to cut down slowly with the intention of stopping.
And remember alcohol is a depressant so it is only going to make you feel worse in the long run.

Look forward to seeing you around the site :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline San Andreas

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:44:27 PM »
 Yes, all the anxiety symptoms go away after a few drinks, but then after awhile your body becomes used to functioning with alcohol in your system.  So when you stop drinking, that itself can bring on anxiety and the associated symptoms.  This will continue to get worse - believe me, I've been there.  So, as Camel has said, best to decrease your intake aiming towards stopping all together.  If you find this doesn't work for you (It didn't for me as one drink just brought on the need for more) you may need to do the cold turkey thing (which you should NOT do alone -  at a minimum make sure there is someone with you the 1st several days in case, as I don't know how dependant you have become on alcohol, there are bad withdrawal symptoms)  As you really haven't been drinking that long, probably your symptoms will be mild (and I say mild being relative to alcohol withdrawal symptoms - they still suck) For me at least, it feels like some of my very worst days of anxiety the 1st couple days - with similar symptoms, nervousness, heart palpatations, inner trembling, headache.... But the worst generally passes in 3 to 4 days.  You will still feel it some for weeks to months afterwards (again, depending on the severity of your dependence)  And again I will stress - this SHOULD NOT be attempted alone.  Good luck to you.  And remember, as difficult as this is, it will only get worse the longer you wait before deciding to quit.
Bookmark and Share
"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do. "

Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline tigerpaw

• Rec's: 32
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 08:02:42 PM »
I know you will find lots of support here. Let me remind you you can access the Chat Room, after a minimum amount of posts and talk live to some of us here!  A great resource for you.

Also you can post your favorite picture in the Members Gallery.

Check out an introductory post on, "When you think no one understands ....read this."........Link: http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,9100.0.html

Lots to do here

:sign0016:
Bookmark and Share
Psalm 34:4 'He saved me from all that I feared."......

Tags: