Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can a Panic Attack kill you?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline WarwithAnxiety

• Rec's: 0
  • Live Life to the Fullest without Hesitation
    • Poke This Member
Can a Panic Attack kill you?
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:53:27 PM »
I rather be worried about a Heart defect right now but this is my main concern. Even just putting in the Google search browser "Can Anxiety/Panic Attacks-" and you'll see it as one of the options.
Bookmark and Share
"Time is a valuable Resource. It can't be restored/renewed. We all have to make use of it while it lasts. Remember, every second wasted is a second of your Life wasted."

Offline jojo1976

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can a Panic Attack kill you?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 02:16:37 AM »
I can't believe no one has answered this yet.

No.  A panic attack is actually a normal response in the body. It's our flight/fight mode and is automatic. It's supposed to keep us ALIVE, not kill us.   In the history of all anxiety and HA sufferers and everything in between, I don't know of one case of death due to a panic attack. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline pauly j

• Rec's: 42
  • Constant and Never ending Improvement.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 02:41:46 AM »
Another member proposed the same question on a thread here just a couple weeks ago.  Majority of the replies said "no."  The physiological symptoms of a panic attack cannot kill you.  A panic attack can cause erratic behavior that can cause you to do something dangerous, perhaps even causing death. 

Once I had a panic attack in the car, and I thought I was literally dying.  I was swerving in and out of traffic, racing myself to the ER.  Now that could have caused death.  Another time I was having a panic attack, I drove into a parking lot and I scratched the side of my van on a pole (pole was in an odd location to begin with).

Majority of people and books will say that a panic attack cannot cause death.  I tend to agree.

pauly j
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's happening to you now or what has happened in your past that determines who you become. Rather, it's your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you're going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny.

- Anthony Robbins

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:39:33 AM »
You can hold your breath for as long as you can. You will finally end up breathing. It is how the body reacts. Even those people who don't eat much. They still eat once they are hungry. People who can't sleep. Once tired enough they will sleep. A panic attack, as explained in the second post, is more about protecting us than harming us. The body goes into a defencive mode. It may cause a few weird feelings. But the blood may go to various parts of the body were the mind is sensing it is needed most of all. So you may feel your hands colds. As the blood is not needed in your hands. We sweat to cool us down. So all in all it is only protecting us. Bad as it may feel.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline lunarweblink

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:27:25 AM »
I rather be worried about a Heart defect right now but this is my main concern. Even just putting in the Google search browser "Can Anxiety/Panic Attacks-" and you'll see it as one of the options.

Panic attacks wont kill you! But you may need a check up just to make sure that it is panic attacks that you are having they hooked me up to an ekg to check the heart and iv been in the hospital 5 times this year and they told me i get panic attacks these attacks happen out of the blue and seem to happen on a daily basis
Bookmark and Share

Tags: