Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Zoloft Dosage Increase  (Read 27021 times)

Offline Migcar01

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Zoloft Dosage Increase
« on: July 24, 2011, 07:15:58 PM »
Hello All... I'm new to the site and hoping to be able to find insight and support from anyone who can help... I have been on Zoloft 50 mg. for about 6 years now-- for panic and anxiety.. This med was a miracle for me.. Worked great and I went about my everyday life.. About 2 weeks ago I had a panic attack while driving and basically had a meltdown after that.. Went to doc--who upped my dosage from 50mg to 75mg and gave me Traxene to take during the increase period.. Wow!!! The first week, I wasnt even able to go to work because the increased level of anxiety was so bad.. I have since gone back to work but I struggle with anxiety from the moment I wake up in the morning.. Although I do feel as though the increase in meds are working-I have had a few good days in between where I feel like my old self again-But then--the anxiety creeps back in again..I have been taking the Traxene in small incriments to help with the process but it almost feels as if I'm on a roller coaster--Talked to my doc and was told give it more time....Im trying very hard to be positive and patient..but Im feeling so desperate right now.. Wondering-- is this normal to feel this way after 2 weeks of  increasing the meds? How long will this last???? Any input would be appreciated.

Sorry for the "book" I'm just feeling very alone
Bookmark and Share

Offline sohelpless

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Zoloft Dosage Increase
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:27:41 PM »
If the increased anxiety does not settle down after two weeks, it may be that the medication is no longer effective or your body has become tolerant to it.  It is very common for antidepressants to stop working (poop out).  If you can hang in there, you may want to give it a little longer but my doctor said two weeks is usually enough time for the increased anxiety to subside.  And based on experience, I would have to agree.
Bookmark and Share

Offline WiSp

• Rec's: 24
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Anxiety warrior since my birth.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:28:33 PM »
I had a similar story, with zoloft. Life was mine, and I was taking 150mg for a year already. But my environment changed drastically and with time anxiety came again, like ignoring zoloft all of a sudden. I thought it was just not working anymore. My doctor thought the same. But I think we were both wrong. It's just that my life changed and 150mg was not enough. Here, my doctor upped the dose and given me an addon and I'm normal again. Well, not exactly but it's because I'm in a klonopin withdrawal right now.

So maybe your life changed like me and your doctor thinks that a higher dosage will solve the problem. It can also happen that zoloft stopped to work. It's not impossible. But before to get rid of it, I would up the dosage. It's probably what your doctor think. It is likely creating more anxiety. It's normal. Antidepressants are harsh to the body sometimes at a new dosage. But it should disappear with time. Just avoid to up more before it returns to an acceptable level.

How long? It's always what we want to know. I would suggest to try something else than traxene. Maybe it's not working good for you. You should feel a good difference with a working benzodiazepine. At least a little! If there is nothing at all, I wonder if it can help you. And if you find one that works, it will permit you to wait for zoloft to calm down and start to work for you. So you may be able to work during this time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Irishmanwrites

• Rec's: 26
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 04:22:53 PM »
I would agree to give more time, but I would also suggest that you talk to your doc about pushing the dose up further. I say this because Zoloft gave you six good years. You were taking 50. Maybe a trial of 100/125 is required. 75 is a relatively mild dosage. Time will help with the slight rise in effects if you go down (or up as the case is!) with your doctors permission!

Bookmark and Share
The principal Irish poster on AZ

Offline Migcar01

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 05:40:35 PM »
Thank- u all for the replies--- I really feel as though the increase is working- slowly but surely as I do have good days-- and the level of anxiety has decreased a bit.. In the beginning- I was crying all the time because I was so anxious and scared--but now.. 18 days later.... I havent been crying and the intensity of anxiety has eased up-- not completly gone-- but its easing up.. I find that my mornings are the worst.. Usually from the time I wake up and for a few hours after.. The traxene does seem to help but Im not able to take the full pill during the day--as it makes me kinda sleepy and I'm ***** work..

As I said-- it feels like Im on a roller coaster because I'll have a good day-- feel great-- and then the next day will be bad--not as bad as in the beginning--but I dont feel like myself... Could this be that it has only been 18 days since the increase and the meds are leveling out in my system? Ive read that it takes up to four weeks.....

Again-- Thank-u all for taking the time to help
Bookmark and Share

Offline Irishmanwrites

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 05:59:13 PM »
4 weeks is the suggested timeframe. I would see it out, but be mindful of the potential in my suggestion: a rise to 100. A 100MG is a good strong dose. If 75 doesn't work, 100 may well.

Also be mindful stress and general anxiety and health anxiety / anxiety about the increase in meds are very likely to be playing with how you feel.

Best of luck though. I've a feeling you will be doing great shortly.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Migcar01

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 06:12:10 PM »
Thank-u Irishman-- Yes, I believe that in addition to the med increase--my own anxiety has come into play here-- I worry about how long  is it going to take til the meds kick in--am I going to wake up like this tmrw morning--etc...I try to divert my attention and thoughts--but I keep going round and round in my head..Maybe a lil OCD--huh?  But then I stop and think-- Isnt Zoloft supposed to work for anxiety-- so why dosent it stop it from reoccuring?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Migcar01

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 06:15:27 PM »
Also- If doc does decide after 4 weeks to up the dose again--will I go through all of these side effects again?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Irishmanwrites

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 06:32:32 PM »
No this is all just plain ol anxiety and a spike in it. You'll be back to how you were (or maybe better again!) shortly.

Having been in your shoes, I'd be quite confident now that you've risen the dosage once, you'll experience less (if you are actually really experiencing anything!) next time. Put another way, the reaction to a rise happens initially generally. A second rise will not bring a corresponding reaction, again generally.

Like I say though I've a good feeling for you and as Constant Mover will tell you I'm rarely wrong!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Migcar01

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Oh Thank-u so much Irishman!! I think I just really need reassurance that all will be well.. And you just made me feel better about this whole situation-- :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Irishmanwrites

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »
No worries. happy to help.

Now that you've posted a little, you'll have to keep posting and very importantly, tell us how much better you feel shortly.

Bookmark and Share

Offline sohelpless

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 10:27:44 PM »
No this is all just plain ol anxiety and a spike in it. You'll be back to how you were (or maybe better again!) shortly.

Having been in your shoes, I'd be quite confident now that you've risen the dosage once, you'll experience less (if you are actually really experiencing anything!) next time. Put another way, the reaction to a rise happens initially generally. A second rise will not bring a corresponding reaction, again generally.

Like I say though I've a good feeling for you and as Constant Mover will tell you I'm rarely wrong!

What!!  Are you seriously telling people you are rarely wrong!  I don't think you should insinuate that to others here.  You will give them a false sense that you are some kind of expert and you are so far from one.

And increases in antidepressants can definitely cause side effects.  Just because you didn't have any on the one and only medication you are on does not mean they don't happen.  Migcar may not experience them but you don't know that for a fact.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gcalex

• Rec's: 46
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 10:48:14 PM »
Irishman's warning not to listen to any advice on the internet presumably includes his own?   :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline WiSp

• Rec's: 24
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Anxiety warrior since my birth.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 11:07:28 PM »
I always said...that saying to someone that side effects are rare, when it's not the case in reality, will provoke a panic state if the person got one or several, just because he reads that they are rare. "So what is happening to me?!?"
If he knows the truth, that they are common, the person will not panic, because he/she will know that what is happening is normal. "Ah, I got this, I got that, but it's not a surprise. I read that it happens often. I just need to hang on".

Now compare the difference between the 2 ways. Panic, or peace. Reality, or statement based on self happened event only.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sohelpless

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 01:02:34 AM »
Exactly Wisp. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: