Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Wondering how to get over your anxiety? Heres how..  (Read 16297 times)

Offline dknyc

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Wondering how to get over your anxiety? Heres how..
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »
I've had GAD for 4 years now, and it has came and went. I've had times where I wouldn't think about it for months on end, and I had times where I would lie in my bed sweating profusely dying on the inside. Now I'm getting over my wave of anxiety caused by some sort of depression. Simply put your brain is an extraordinary tool. However there are two parts your subconscious and your conscious that really matter. Right now you can sit up and say oh I don't have anxiety I don't fear this crap.. and you will still get anxiety.. why? Because it is still locked inside your subconscious. The only way to get it out of your subconscious is time. You may have went on for a day to get rid of this monster and gave up and relapsed, but you need to realize that it's usually 2 steps forward, one step back. It always is. And when you take a step back don't be discouraged because you WILL succeed. As put in that Rocky movie, "..The world is a cold and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you permanently there if you let it..".

So here are the steps you need:

1)Don't talk about your anxiety. - This is difficult because it does help you recover, but subconsciously you're letting your anxiety win. You're creating a crutch for yourself. Guess what? No one can help you by yourself. So its in your best interest to stop discussing it.
2)If you have a new symptom, embrace it. For instance when anxiety gets bad I start to get very dizzy. Instead of panicking about it, I enjoy it. I lower my eyelids and smile and kinda glide around because i KNOW it will pass. It's like drinking, you know you wont feel this way forever so you just let go and enjoy it.
3)Get the hell out of your house. While it may be a 'Safe Zone' It's not helping you at all get over your anxiety. Afraid of going to work? Good get your ass over there. You're the most dominant species on this planet, nothing can stop you.
4)LAUGH. ALOT. They say laughter is the best medicine. It truly is. Go rent a comedy, or go out with friends and just laugh at stupid things. You'll be surprised how far it takes you.
5)Look forward to doing something. It really works...

Anyway I'm going back into the warzone to fight my anxiety issues, I wish you luck with yours!
Bookmark and Share
Losing anxiety is like losing weight: It comes off very slowly and at a steady pace with a LOT of hard work, however if you start overeating again (Worrying in our case) it comes back full blown in a week or two.

Offline jen2213

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Wondering how to get over your anxiety? Heres how..
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:40:34 PM »
Might help for mild cases, but I am pretty much dizzy all day every day and it gets worse when I leave the house. I have GAD, panic disorder, agoraphobia, depression and many specific phobias. Yes I have good days, but most of them are horrible and I can't hardly get out of bed.

If not talking about your anxiety is what helps then why the heck do people go to therapy?
Bookmark and Share
I have CDO, it's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!!

Offline pauly j

• Rec's: 42
  • Constant and Never ending Improvement.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:45:28 PM »
There is more than one way to deal with anxiety.  One is to focus less on it, and the other is talking about it.  Both ways seem to have beneficial rewards for some.  I, personally lean towards not focusing on anxiety and symptoms.  Of course, being here on the forum daily, I am reminded of anxiety, symptoms, and the pitfalls of dealing with it.  If one is hypersensitive to anxiety-talk and issues, perhaps less attention given to it may benefit them more.  I, on the other hand, am not where I use to be several months back, in the height of my worse ever anxiety and depression life, afraid, alone, hypersensitive to anxiety discussion, and seeing and expecting only the worse in everything and every situation. 

Today I am feeling near recovered, with the occasional stress and strains, which, of course, is part of everyones life, anxiety disorder, or not.  I can talk about anxiety and everything it entails without feeling panicked or freaking myself out.  If I was to indulge on anxiety topics, especially the sensitive issues, a few months back, I would find myself feeling afraid, highly anxious, panicked, or freaking out!

What works for one may not work for another.  As the saying goes, "there's more than one way to skin a cat."

Kudos on finding solutions.

pauly j
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's happening to you now or what has happened in your past that determines who you become. Rather, it's your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you're going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny.

- Anthony Robbins

Offline dknyc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:01:57 PM »
Might help for mild cases, but I am pretty much dizzy all day every day and it gets worse when I leave the house. I have GAD, panic disorder, agoraphobia, depression and many specific phobias. Yes I have good days, but most of them are horrible and I can't hardly get out of bed.

If not talking about your anxiety is what helps then why the heck do people go to therapy?
Cases of anxiety is based on how bad you let it get. Simple as that. Depression I get too, especially when I wake up. See my way of looking at it is if your body gives you sh*t you give it right back. Even if you can't get out of bed you force yourself, it's super difficult but you need to do it.

As for dizziness, I was convinced I had MS at one point because I would literally stand in one place and I would feel like I'm rocking back and forth. Guess what? It goes away with time.. time heals all wounds.

I wish you luck, I believe in you.
Bookmark and Share
Losing anxiety is like losing weight: It comes off very slowly and at a steady pace with a LOT of hard work, however if you start overeating again (Worrying in our case) it comes back full blown in a week or two.

Offline bryan3000

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 08:47:16 PM »
Thanks for the thread!

I agree that in some ways the approach is simplistic and not perfect for everyone, but I do think many principles you're speaking
of are crucial to overcoming this illness.  In fact, I work hard to implement most of these, already.

However you can... you have to push forward. As Dr. Weekes says, the cure lies ahead... onward.

Bookmark and Share

Offline dknyc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 03:24:21 PM »
Update, I'm feeling a lot better than before, however still not 100 percent. Getting this demon out of my mind one step at a time...
Bookmark and Share

Offline bryan3000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 04:22:50 PM »
Thanks DK!

PLEASE keep us updated and informed as to what helped as time went along. I know it's hard to spend much time here when you're feeling better, but if you
have a few minutes to update us... we'd all appreciate it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline dknyc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »
Thanks DK!

PLEASE keep us updated and informed as to what helped as time went along. I know it's hard to spend much time here when you're feeling better, but if you
have a few minutes to update us... we'd all appreciate it!
I'm doing better. I have random bouts of anxiety, but overall much better than last week... I'm no long depressed, just anxious a bit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bryan3000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 01:16:42 AM »
Keep it up, man! And keep updating us!

Having a better week, myself.

Slowly but surely.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dknyc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 12:15:21 PM »
Keep it up, man! And keep updating us!

Having a better week, myself.

Slowly but surely.
Thats how things are done man. Easy come easy go, if you get over it in a day, it will come back the next day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dknyc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:59:39 AM »
Update again: My anxiety is almost completely gone, despite some personal problems that I had. I wake up feeling fine, and I go to sleep feeling fine, and usually don't really have any anxiety in between the day. This is a huge change from a month ago where I was depressed ect ect.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihatethisanxiety

• Rec's: 0
  • Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »
Hello, I agree that everyone deals differently.  For me, if I keep myself very busy it does help.  It has been very hot here the last three days and I don't really want to go outside and do anything.  I think the heat really effects me with anxiety and depression.  The last few days I also see myself getting more anxious because of my stomach problems too, so the heat and time of the month crap coming its not fun!!  I also tried to do some hair again, (as I am a hairdresser that works at home) It just made me feel awful and there goes my stomach and don't wanna deal with doing that again yet.  I feel like I'm avoiding it again, but sometimes you just don't want to put yourself through it.  My husband puts alot of stress on me to make money, and many times I feel like I'm failing!  I also have 2 kids, so being anxious is not good for them to see as well.  I don't want them to have to go through seeing their mom freak out, or potentially getting anxiety...but they are always around.  So this journey for me is tough, as so with many others.  I seem to be getting alot better but still go through ups and downs, like everyone else, guess its just normal!! Take care everyone :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Annra

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 02:16:19 AM »
Thanks for the uplifting ideas!
Sometimes I find it difficult to reach out for help, so I'm glad when I come across threads like these where people share little things that have helped them since everyone is so different.
I hope these tools are still helping you, and will maybe do the same for me!
Bookmark and Share

Offline GabbyMomof3

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 02:40:24 AM »
At first glance reading the "ways to", and if it was a couple months ago, I would be fuming thinking "how could you". But you are right. I still talk about my anxiety though, but I don't see it as it beating me, I see it as "I see you there, but I'm not inviting you in. Knock on my window, annoy me, whatever, you are not welcome here". I have been doing extraordinary things I hadn't done in MONTHS! I couldn't even pick up a phone to call my sister, that's how bad it got. Now, when I feel the anxiety coming on, I go to the park to walk, or go inside a busy market, things I would avoid for about two years. It put a tremendous strain on my husband, having a full time job and basically caring for me as if I was a child. He was tired, developed more wrinkles (and he's only 45), and more grey hair. I saw the burden I was causing not only on him, but also my three children. They were stressed, scared, just down because mommy wasn't okay. Something flipped a switch in me and told myself, "Gabby, you must break out of this. You can't allow it to change you". I use to be an outgoing person, so it was a complete 180 from who I was about five years ago. In short, I've been putting myself out there to see for myself that I can overcome this, or at least manage it so I can live, period.

I took into mind something I heard Geert of ilovepanicattacks.com say. He said that there is a box holding the remedy to my problem, but that in that box, there was fire I had to reach through to find that remedy. Yes it'll hurt, but knowing the remedy is there, you'll reach your hand in there, no matter how bad it burns, to get to that remedy you need. Being that I would be in both physical and mental pain going out and doing things I hadn't done before, I took it very literal. And while I may not be cured yet, I feel much better now, mostly because I've taken it upon myself to change. I know it's easier said than done, but it kind of is. I was afraid I would die, yes die, if I left my house, now I go out and do it on my own! I get shaky and sweaty, but I'm doing it. I can go out and talk to people. While it drains me of my energy, it feels good to see myself trying to get better. It's a journey, but only YOU know how long it'll take until your destination. I still have ways to go, but I'm definitely not going to back-track. The scenery ahead looks very nice.

Good luck to all on the path to a better you.

Don't feel like you can't do it, YOU CAN! It just takes some work from you. :)
Bookmark and Share
I am strong. I am beautiful. I am worth it.

Offline PainisLove

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 10:29:24 AM »
wow that was a great take on push through your fears,

at the end of our fears is what we really want in life. its true, and youll get better and comfortable til you become very good at it :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: