Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: What can an ekg detect?  (Read 21574 times)

Offline xJakex068

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What can an ekg detect?
« on: June 24, 2011, 12:30:21 AM »
I worry about my heart more then anything and over the past 5 months I've had two ekgs and blood tests to test the enzymes of my heart (I think?).  But anyway everything turned out completely normal and I'm just a bit confused as to what an ekg will detect along with the blood tests.  I think If I found out what all they'll detect then it will be a huge load off of my mind and relieve a lot of the worrying.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxietyAnt

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What can an ekg detect?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 12:42:17 AM »
They can detect heart attacks and other general problems with the heart. If you've had two and they haven't found anything, you can probably rest easy
Bookmark and Share

Offline Perfectly_Imperfect

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 09:34:46 AM »
an EKG will detect heart rhythm mainly, make sure there are no arrythmia's(sp) or abnormalities. Can detect whether or not you've recently had a heart attack or are in the process of having one as well. It will not detect clots or clogged arteries but if the blood tests and EKG are normal you should not be concerned at all.
Bookmark and Share
Life's a dance you learn as you go...

Offline tatertot

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:09:11 AM »
an EKG will detect heart rhythm mainly, make sure there are no arrythmia's(sp) or abnormalities. Can detect whether or not you've recently had a heart attack or are in the process of having one as well. It will not detect clots or clogged arteries but if the blood tests and EKG are normal you should not be concerned at all.

Really? So if your have a clot or blockage the EKG could look normal?   :sprachlos020: That's interesting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shubunkin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »
found this

Many heart problems change the heart's electrical activity in distinct ways. An electrocardiogram (EKG) can help detect these heart problems.

EKG recordings can help doctors diagnose heart attacks that are in progress or have happened in the past. This is especially true if doctors can compare a current EKG recording to an older one.

An EKG also can show:

Lack of blood flow to the heart muscle (coronary heart disease)
A heartbeat that's too fast, too slow, or irregular (arrhythmia)
A heart that doesn't pump forcefully enough (heart failure)
Heart muscle that's too thick or parts of the heart that are too big (cardiomyopathy)
Birth defects in the heart (congenital heart defects)
Problems with the heart valves (heart valve disease)
Inflammation of the sac that surrounds the heart (pericarditis)
An EKG can reveal whether the heartbeat starts in the correct place in the heart. The test also shows how long it takes for electrical signals to travel through the heart. Delays in signal travel time may suggest heart block or long QT syndrome.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ashcrash85

• Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
  • Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
  • Bazinga!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 02:36:04 PM »
found this

Many heart problems change the heart's electrical activity in distinct ways. An electrocardiogram (EKG) can help detect these heart problems.

EKG recordings can help doctors diagnose heart attacks that are in progress or have happened in the past. This is especially true if doctors can compare a current EKG recording to an older one.

An EKG also can show:

Lack of blood flow to the heart muscle (coronary heart disease)
A heartbeat that's too fast, too slow, or irregular (arrhythmia)
A heart that doesn't pump forcefully enough (heart failure)
Heart muscle that's too thick or parts of the heart that are too big (cardiomyopathy)
Birth defects in the heart (congenital heart defects)
Problems with the heart valves (heart valve disease)
Inflammation of the sac that surrounds the heart (pericarditis)
An EKG can reveal whether the heartbeat starts in the correct place in the heart. The test also shows how long it takes for electrical signals to travel through the heart. Delays in signal travel time may suggest heart block or long QT syndrome.

Shubunkin is correct. An EKG is more powerful than you think, that's the reason it's THE frontline test for the heart. It does miss things as you aren't physically looking at the arteries. But within the electrical impulses given off by the heart the doc can actually tell if your heart is too big, if it isn't pumping right, etc. All by seeing the time it takes for the electrical impulses to travel  and where they're created.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: