Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Klonopin? Scared to take it.  (Read 4656 times)

Offline WiSp

• Rec's: 25
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Anxiety warrior since my birth.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonopin? Scared to take it.
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 08:49:36 PM »
MylesMom08, according to my own experience:

Xanax: worked for 4h and during only 2 days. After this, no more effect at all
Ativan: worked 12h, for 3 days. But with an extra. An abnormal anxiety one day after. This is the worst I tried but at least it was working longer than xanax.
Klonopin: the best of the 3, for me. It works 12h, and never stop to work even weeks after. I felt a little drunk randomly during the first 3 weeks and now I've no side effects at all.

Something to know: xanax is the worst if you want to avoid being addicted. Because of its very very short term action, the addiction risk is high. The more time a benzo works, the less chance you have to get addicted. My opinion is that doctors should forget about xanax and all equivalent very short term benzo.

Side effects: all 3 benzos that I tried, I got very soft side effects, like a bit drowsy, a bit dizzy, feeling like a bit drunk. They can go away with time, or not. But I think most people don't even have any side effects with benzos.

Kryztle21 is right. A benzo can't cure anxiety, is just bluff your anxiety receptors. Like a pain killer when you have a headache. It doesn't remove the headache, it just block the pain to get to you. It is also true that you have high chance that a benzo stop to work with time. And like my personal experience, it can stop to work very fast! SSRIs do something completely different. They do change what is happening in your brain to be responsible for anxiety and depression. So this is more to be called like a real fix, than a simple anxiety patch. Usually, SSRIs that are working, must be took for a long time to lower the risks to be sick again one day. I.e.: between 6 months and a year. Ask your doctor, he will tell you. And then, some people have their problem fixed forever and can stop the SSRI. Some will get their illness back and those should try to take the SSRI longer, or try another.

I don't like SSRIs me too. I had bad experiences. But I think it worth it. You don't know, maybe one is perfect for you. If you don't try, you can't know. I know people that only take benzos. Since it works all the time, and the person is satisfied with this result, some doctors will say that there is no problem to continue. Some will argue that they are dependent. Some will say, ok you're dependent but what's the problem? If you live freely and can pay it, go for it.

Personally I don't feel at ease to live on benzos. I prefer a real fix. But it's me. Now that you know how things work, you can decide by yourself. Good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sevenofnine

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
Have you considered Inderal for your racing heart? I have it to take only as needed and it does work.  Apparently they give it to performers who have stage fright before a show.  It's a beta blocker, I believe, and definitely not a psychiatric medication.

Klonopin has helped my quality of life, but I don't take it daily.  Half a milligram is a pretty low dose and probably the worst that would happen is that you'd feel very tired.  My anxiety is so nasty that nothing below 1.5 mg helps it, but it's not every day that I need it.

I'd worry about daily use, but occasional usage wouldn't bother me too much, unless it was making me so tired that it was interfering with my ability to do things.

And yes, it is unfortunately only a Band-Aid, so any good result you have will be temporary.  Out of the four major benzos I've tried, it's been the easiest to tolerate, with Ativan a close second.
Bookmark and Share

Offline WiSp

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 10:59:34 PM »
I think beta blockers should be chosen at last resort only. They have anti anxiety properties, but they influence heartbeat and blood pressure.

Of course if you have irregular heart beats, it could help you. But I would choose beta blockers more for heart issues than for anxiety.

Benzos can do an adverse effect, i.e. create anxiety instead of blocking it. But it's very rare. The first use of benzos is to calm down. It's their main purpose. Maybe you have heart issues and that is not linked at all with meds.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gcalex

• Rec's: 46
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 11:05:55 PM »
I am convinced that in my own case, there was a relationship between klonopin and atrial fibrillation.  The doctors always denied it, but to me the evidence was unmistakable.  Remember drugs don't just act at the site where they have therapeutic value, they act throughout the body.

While tachycardia is certainly a panic symptom, if you think it's caused by a drug, you might consider trying a different one to see if you react differently. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline indymsw

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 02:45:21 AM »
A benzo can't cure anxiety, is just bluff your anxiety receptors. Like a pain killer when you have a headache. It doesn't remove the headache, it just block the pain to get to you. It is also true that you have high chance that a benzo stop to work with time. And like my personal experience, it can stop to work very fast! SSRIs do something completely different. They do change what is happening in your brain to be responsible for anxiety and depression. So this is more to be called like a real fix, than a simple anxiety patch

I would disagree with your point.  SSRI's increase the amount of seratonin available by decreasing its reuptake.  Benzos act similar in nature, only on the GABA receptor.  So neither truly "fixes" anything but they reduce symptoms by increasing the availability of chemicals in the brain that counteract depression and/or anxiety symptoms. It is important to note that we still really do not understand the etiology of mental illness, therefore cannot conclude what "fixes" such problems.  All we can do is observe the reduction in symptoms and hypothesize from there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline WiSp

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 04:17:28 AM »
I talk about a fix because actually SSRIs also train the brain to act differently. This is why some people can stop to take it one day, and never need to take one again, until a major event break the balance. Upon stopping a SSRI for example, the brain will rush for some time, and try to reproduce how it was with the med, taking it for being something good because of all the time on it with no bad consequences. It doesn't work like this everytime, but it's wonderful when it happens.

I know that we don't fully understand how they work. My word, "fix" is maybe too big, I know. But I see it like this:

Benzos work by enhancing the effect of GABA neurotransmitters , and therefore increase the strength of the message sent by GABA, i.e.: telling the neurons to calm down. So, whatever the anxiety source is, benzos don't work on what is causing it. We just use GABA to calm everything down. This is why I call benzo "a patch" and not a fix.

If I see SSRIs like a fix, it's because they actively modify the quantity of neurotransmitters responsible with their unbalance to increase anxiety and depression. Neurotransmitters being:
serotonin linked to SSRIs, epinephrine and norepinephrine linked to SNRIs, and dopamine linked to some SNRIs like effexor and antipsychotics linked to every of them and even some others
Of course we cannot say that the main neurotransmitters that we think to be responsible of anxiety and depression, are the only source. This is your point and you are right. We know, for example, that amygdala in the brain is also a crucial source, responsible of the management of "anxiety signals". But you surely understand my point. SSRIs, SNRIs and antipsychotics work on the more potent source that we discovered for now, to physically change the quantity of neurotransmitters by blocking their re-uptake and have a direct impact on the output anxiety and depression. While GABA is only covering the stress signal by a large quantity of GABA, boosted with benzos.

You could take benzos for years, the thing that doesn't work good with your concerned neurotransmitters will not change, and during all this time, the consequences will be inhibited by a powerful quantity of GABA, calming down neurons. Some live like this. But for me, the problem is still there, in your brain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gcalex

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 07:12:10 AM »
I don't think we know how SSRIs work, based on my reading.  Many now theorize they work not by changing neurotransmitter levels but by growing new neurons (neurogenesis).  This would explain why they don't work right away. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline WiSp

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 08:40:41 PM »
We don't really know how depression and anxiety issues work, as we don't really know how SSRIs work. You are right. I've read about neurogenesis. Not only SSRIs would do it, but also exercising. We could ask, do neurogenesis is directly responsible to help, or is it a simple reaction to exercise or taking a SSRIs? This is extremely complex. Changes in the neurotransmission (by an SSRI) could also have several negative impacts on the brain and rise the problem. The result when trying a SSRI, good, bad, or neither, could be the sum of negative impacts + positives impacts induced by the SSRI or consequences resulting of it. There are probably a great number of impacts on each side, of course most of them are unknown. The neurotransmitter re-uptake is only one of them. And this is why it's the most popular explication.
Bookmark and Share

Concopa

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 09:18:54 PM »
I have been on Klonopin for almost two years. .5 is a fairly low dose. Klonopin for me at least seems to slow the thoughts down and that makes anxiety easier to handle. It's not a fix but it can calm you down. I wouldn't worry too much about taking .5mg You will probably just get tired.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gcalex

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 11:14:15 PM »
Nor do we understand why there is a 40 percent or greater positive reaction to a sugar pill....
Bookmark and Share

Tags: