Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Back from Colonoscopy...worried about polyp.  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Flyerfan

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
Back from Colonoscopy...worried about polyp.
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:45:08 PM »
The test was a breeze as I thought it would be (my EGD's were too).  The prep really wasn't all that bad....my anxiety was getting the best of me. I'm glad I had it but I have a feeling I'll be going back in 3-5 years because of the polyp. 

The doc came in when I woke but I was still half groggy or I would have drilled him with questions.  My husband was there and of course I asked him over and over what he said and how he said it.  He did say everything looked good, a couple small hemmies and a polyp about the size of 1/2 a pea.  Going in there was no follow up scheduled for me (and there wasn't after either) so I'm not sure what to make of it.  He didn't come right out and say he thought the polyp was OK but he didn't say it wasn't.  He didn't seem concerned at all.   Does it mean anything that he didn't say anything?  Should I just accept the fact that he said everything looked good and not worry until I get the results?  I hate that I have to analyze everything....every word doctors say and how they say it.  So now I have to wait 7 - 10 days for the results.  God I hope it's benign.

I'm 42 and the reason for me having this is because I've had blood on my stool on a couple occasions but no occult blood found after several tests done.  My father had polyps removed but no cc in my family anywhere.  So, now I'm also wondering if the blood streak on my stool was from the hemmies or the polyp.

I have to let this go!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline v12alp

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Back from Colonoscopy...worried about polyp.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:04:43 PM »
Let me ease your fears. 9 out of 10 polyps are benign, benign benign!!!!!!!!!!!! Doctor said that everything looked good, it's a good thing, they have no right to hide anything from you. Also, in any  case they got it out which means you have nothing to worry about. You're right, you will have to follow up on it, but please remember that prevention is the key!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Flyerfan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »
Thanks.

I'm OK with going more often. I just wonder what would have happened if I would have waited until I was 50.  How would that polyp be 8 years from now?  I'm kind of glad I pushed the issue.
Bookmark and Share

Offline v12alp

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 08:22:01 PM »
It does not really matter what it would be 8 years from now, right now and today...you're perfectly fine!
Bookmark and Share

Offline redd19

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »
hey there flyerfan, just went thru this myself with a polyp during mycolonoscopy they are 99% of the time plastique which is harmless i was scared 2 death over nothin its benign trust me ,and thank god u are fine
Bookmark and Share

Offline january1987

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 01:12:07 AM »
Hey.... I had my Colonoscopy and EGD last Monday. Dr. said that they can tell right then and there (usually) if anythingg is "bad". They really cant say anything for sure until they get the pathology report back. So, that being said.... I agree with everyone else. 99% of polyps are BENIGN! Mine were called hyperplastic polyps which my doc calls the "friendly polyp" as they NEVER turn bad. You will be fine. Enjoy the fact that it's done and over and all looked good! If you dont have a follow up scheduled.. call your doc in a week and ask for your results! It will be fine! I was TERRIFIED! AND.... Hemms DO cause bleeding so now that you know you have those, that is most likely the cause of your rectal bleeding. Hemms are HARMLESS!
best to you! :)
Bookmark and Share
January1987

Offline Flyerfan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 07:32:59 AM »
Thanks guys.

Problem is he knows that I worry and have this anxiety and I keep thinking he's not telling me something.  Like he's keeping the bad news from me.  In reality, I know it's ridiculous to think that.  What kind of doctor (who's been practicing for 40 years) is going to do that?  But that's how my HA mind works.  My husband just shakes his head at me.

Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 11:14:59 AM »
Just like January said, my doctor has told me that they can usually tell right away, just by sight, whether a polyp looks bad or not.  I am sure he would have told you if he feared the polyp was worth worrying about. 
Of course, the doctor can't tell you definitively the day of the exam that the polyp is okay; that's why they send the sample out for review by pathology, but they know with probably 90% certainty and would have given you a little warning if it looked bad. 
I have a long history of inflammatory bowel disease and hold my breath after each colonoscopy for the 7-10 days it takes to get back the biopsy results.  I just went through this about 5 weeks ago, and when the call came in from the nurse that all was okay, I did the happy dance. 
So, get on your dancing shoes.  I sure you'll be doing the happy dance in another week. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Flyerfan

• Poke This Member
Re: Back from Colonoscopy...worried about polyp.....UPDATE
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
Finally heard from the doctor.  Polyp is benign...whew! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline v12alp

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 09:05:40 PM »
See, you can trust some people here!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Flyerfan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 07:46:32 AM »
See, you can trust some people here!

I do.  Sometimes, though I can't seem to trust anyone.  It's a terrible thing.  I have to take steps to conquer this or I'll just be on to something else.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
I am glad all turned out in your favor.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Carryon

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 11:32:49 AM »
Congratulations. The purpose for the procedure is to remove polyps before they turn into something else. They are very slow growing.

Did the doctor notice any diverticuli? Not a disease or illness but a condition that develops with age, very common. Small bulges in the colon's wall.
Bookmark and Share
The pursuit of truth is worth more than possessing it.

Tags: