Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Doctors who are willing to prescribe benzos  (Read 6415 times)

Offline bluerose

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Doctors who are willing to prescribe benzos
« on: June 03, 2011, 01:17:22 AM »
I have a friend with severe anxiety.  She has taken klonapin for years and not abused it.  She is on a low dose of it, but needs to find a new doctor that will allow her to continue taking it.  Does anyone know of any psychiatrists or psychiatric nurse practitioners that take medicare (she has an additional medicare supplement plan) in the Portland, Oregon area that would be willing to prescribe her klonapin?  Thanks for any information.

Bluerose
Bookmark and Share
You wanted justice, but there was none, only love.

Offline Rik

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Doctors who are willing to prescribe benzos
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:19:50 AM »
I am in that city and dont know many doctors who dont prescribe benzos - those who take medicare are getting harder to find
Bookmark and Share
I have had severe anxiety - recovered 100% several times (for many years) and then stress put me back again. Anxiety drugs made me much worse so I have to do it all natural.

Offline Irishmanwrites

• Rec's: 26
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 03:21:26 PM »
Bluerose,

Not what you will want to hear, but if her current dr/psych is not willing to continue to prescribe it, does that not raise a valid question.

Bookmark and Share
The principal Irish poster on AZ

Offline Perfectly_Imperfect

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 03:26:11 PM »
Yes there has to be a reason why her dr will not continue to prescribe this medicine.

If she finds a new dr they will want her medical records from the prev. dr and if his notes state not to continue the Klonopin that puts the new dr in a position to make a decision ...
Bookmark and Share
Life's a dance you learn as you go...

Offline Irishmanwrites

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 05:25:35 PM »
Perfectly Imperfect. We agree on something at last!

Med records will be sought and questions will be asked.

Bluerose, why is your friend in this position?
Bookmark and Share

Offline morningdread24

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:56:03 PM »
I know the feeling of not getting the right help for my social anxiety/panic disorder. I was on klonopin in the past and then ativan which i was on for about 4 or 5 years. worked great for me when i got to a dose that kept working for me. currently i cannot get any dr to re prescribe me my meds..I am on a suboxone clinic for the treatment of opiate addiction due to a bad car accident a few years back..the doc i have now wants to try me on busbar, and i read alot about it and saw nothing but statements saying that its basically worthless if u have anything above mild to moderate anxiety...i actually went to the e.r. the other nite because of reocurring chest pains and left arm pain, and got tests done, and it was concluded that it is all just my anxiety and stress levels, so the doc there gave me a few tabs of klonopin .5mg..it just really gets under my skin and i'm being a pain in the ass to everyone around me cuz i'm complaining always about my situation cuz i need to go back to work to make money and cannot because my anxiety level is so high...I've lost so much because of this and my life is on hold rite now due to the fact that i'm no longer on the meds that i really do need..i plan to get off of the suboxone by next month and i'm hoping i'll get my meds back from a new psych before i start the detoxing process for the suboxone...anyone else have any experiences/problems like i'm having with these docs? (that are only in it for the money, most of them i believe). one more thing:it makes no sense to me that doctors are practically handing out any and all types of painkillers, but when it comes to the benzos, its a constant fight. anyone else feel that way?  thanks for listening  :sprachlos020:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Perfectly_Imperfect

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:24:37 PM »
Irish I wasn't aware that we have disagreed in the past ...
Bookmark and Share
Life's a dance you learn as you go...

Offline Irishmanwrites

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 08:31:16 AM »
Perfectly Impatient, we certainly agree here.

To Morning Dread. I am sure you are on the road to recovery. You do have to trust your doc though. Benzos are not for the long term for the majority. There are plenty of excellent safe meds that are available. Buspar is designed specifically for anxiety. It has to be worth a try. I suggest you give it a trial and be positive about it. Lots of effective anxiety medication out there. Keep that in mind.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Desperate for Help

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »
If anyone knows of Good anxiety Doctor, in Baltimore. I would really appreciate ANY of Your help. I am at the end of my rope !! Thank You for taking the time to read this !
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 88
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 08:38:32 PM »
Does anyone know of any psychiatrists or psychiatric nurse practitioners that take medicare (she has an additional medicare supplement plan) in the Portland, Oregon area that would be willing to prescribe her klonapin?  Thanks for any information.

The best people to ask might be the pharmacist in her area. They know who prescribes what.

If you friend does find a doctor willing to prescribe it for her, I urge her to try an alternate way of managing her anxiety, antidepressants or therapy, and once stabilized, to begin slowly weaning off Klonopin over a year or so. With the increasing reluctance of doctors to prescribe benzodiazepines they can no longer be considered primary anti anxiety drugs.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: Xanax ativan Valium librium