Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Upper right abdomen pain...  (Read 9181 times)

Offline Mew Face

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Upper right abdomen pain...
« on: June 02, 2011, 03:47:15 PM »
So for the past month I've had this non stop right uppper abdomen pain. I had my liver enzymes checked at the begining of the month of May and I had elevated ALT and AST results. I had the test before the pain. A few days after the test the pains started.  The pain travels all over my abdomen on the right side.  It can reach as far right as the side of my stomach, to on top of my ribs, to below the ribs, even to the middle of the stomach.  It is a dull pain that is constantly bothering me.  It doesn't get worse but has defintely not gotten any better. 

I went to a clinic when the pain started.  This was when the pain was localized to only my ribcage area.  The doctor ran no tests and just said my ribcage was inflammed.  I didn't even get a script for anti inflammatory pills just use a heating pad and rest. I did as the doctor ordered but the pain just started spreading.  It hits one spot then moves on throughout the day randomly.

So I went to the ER to get a real test done. They ran blood work and gave me an ultrasound on my gallbladder.  Everything was normal except my ALT was slightly elevated still and my AST was normal again. They said my blood work showed nothing fatal and sent me home with a script for protonix which my insurance wouldn't pay for so I couldn't even try it out.

Here I am a month later still laying in bed from the pain.  No over the counter meds have helped calm it down and I have to wait a week to see my new family doctor.  Has anyone else out there had this kind of problem?  Other symptoms I've had are naseua and lack of appetite but that has to do more with anxiety over the pain than the actual pain itself.  The lack of apetite has also dropped my weight 10 lbs.  I dunno how concerned I should be.  The tests say I'm not dying but the pain doesn't go away and not eating is defintely impacting my life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Perfectly_Imperfect

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Upper right abdomen pain...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 03:58:21 PM »
Sounds like GERD, your stomach is located in your upper right side - excess acid can lead to inflammation causing all the symptoms. Anxiety itself can cause extra acid buildup. Try some OTC Prilosec or Zantac ... that should help it.
Protonix is just a medicine that coats the stomach ...
Bookmark and Share
Life's a dance you learn as you go...

Offline Mew Face

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 04:05:24 PM »
I always thought the stomach was more on the left side but I will definitely go buy some zantac in a few to see if it helps.  I've been relying on pain meds this whole time and never thought about zantac or prilosec.  If anyone else has suggestions I'm willing to hear em out and I will update on how the zantac works.  Thanks PI.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Perfectly_Imperfect

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 04:58:35 PM »
you know what, you may be right, depending on how you're looking at the person. I was picturing a person and their right would be my left!

Sorry, your pain sounds more like gall bladder, but the zantac still might help
Bookmark and Share
Life's a dance you learn as you go...

Offline averagejoeblow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 06:01:44 PM »
I have GERD, and have been on all the PPI's.  Try either OTC Prilosec or OTC Prevacid, one doase about 20 before eating a meal for maximum uptake, also get some Gaviscon and chew about 4 of those before you go to bed, followed by a small glass of water.  That will give you a coating of antacid that will keep reflux from damaging your esophagus in the middle of the night.  Elevate the head of your bed about 6-10 inches.  If it is GERD, you should start to notice some relief.

If it gets worse and is GERD, go back to the doctor and get a prescription for Sulfacrate.  That will coat any ulcer you might have in the esophagus.  If it's actual stomach ulcers, then have the doctor test for H. Pylori and get antibiotics, which will kill the H. Pylori and take care of your ulcer.

Wow, who knew my HA would help someone else out?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mew Face

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »
K got me some OTC Prilosec.  I've never had heartburn before in my life and I know thats part of GERD but stilll gonna try it out.  Is GERD supposed to cause dull pains throughout the right side of your abdomen randomly like I've been having?
Bookmark and Share

Offline averagejoeblow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:27:19 PM »
It can.  So can gallstones or gallbladder problems.  But, they ultrasounded your gallbladder, and they would have showed up, as they light up on an ultrasound.  It could be a slow emptying gallbladder and that won't show up on an ultrasound, but a HIDA scan will tell you.  They look for something called the Ejection Fraction rate, and if it's below 35, it means your gallbladder isn't emptying fast enough and they recommend removal, at least in the US, which seems to have a very high gallbladder removal rate.  If it's slow empyting, it's libel to start building up stones or sludge that will eventually turn to stones.

But, the Gaviscon and Prilosec are fairly safe bets, not too hard on the body, and cheap, so I'd give them a try first.  They say that all PPI's are the same, but I found that certain ones work better for me, and most people tend to find that as well.  But, the literature says/conventional wisdom is that any PPI is the same as any other PPI, unless you're a Native American, in that case, Nexium will work better, since  they cut off the half of the Prilosec molecule that wasn't effective and also doubled the dose.  Hah, Nexium will work better than Prilosec just because it's a double dose, let alone the splitting of the molecule part!

Anyway, now that Prilosec and Prevacid are over the counter, they're pretty cheap, so to speak.  Aciphex always worked best for me, but was really expensive, even with my insurance plan.

Also, you can take a double dose of Prilosec OTC a day.  If you go to a doc, that's their common perscription is to double up until it starts to resolve, then go to 1 pill a day.

Beware that long term dosage can cause a problem with uptake of B vitamins, so take a suplement if you're on it for more than say 6 months.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mew Face

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:50:59 PM »
On day 4 of OTC prilosec and still in pain.  New questions though.  Would a sore throat waking up that goes away once I'm out of bed, excessive pleghm and a runny nose be associated with GERD?  These are all new symptoms I've been getting and I would assume it was a cold but the sore throat literally goes away when I get up and doesn't come back til the next morning.
Bookmark and Share

Offline v12alp

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »
Look up LPR vs. GERD...also, I would check pancreatic enzymes level
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mew Face

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »
If you mean an Amylase test? Had it done.  I think my number was 71.  Meaning normal.  But looks like it is google time for lpr vs gerd.
Bookmark and Share

Offline v12alp

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »
amylase/lipase...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mew Face

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 04:09:58 PM »
amylase: 71 range of 28-100
lipase: 22 range of 22-51
Bookmark and Share

Offline v12alp

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 04:20:07 PM »
Looks like your pancreas are OK, it would be helpful if you could list any other symptoms that you have with your pain

Bookmark and Share

Offline Mew Face

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 05:24:05 PM »
Well there's the roaming right upper quadrant pain.  It has gone as low as apendix lvl but rarely.
Eating doesn't increase or decrease the pain.
When I can pinpoint the pain it is tender to touch and obv hurts alot more when touched.
Laying and sitting down are the worse.  Standing helps relieve it by about 40%.
Naseua and vomiting the first week. Vomiting has stopped. Naseua comes and goes.
Now there's the daily phlegm, sore throat and runny nose which may be due to a cold room.
I was bed ridden all of May because of the pain but it wasn't bad enough to run back to the ER. 
Pain ranges from a dull pain to a stitch pain (the kind you get from running).
Nothing else to add other than usual anxiety symptoms...
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 07:40:49 PM »
I have had right upper quadrant pain off and on since June 2005. I have had many tests including,
6 EGD's, three abdominal ultrasounds, on abdominal/pelvic MRI with contrast, one abdominal MRI
with contrast, many blood tests, including one looking for tumor/inflammation markers, etc. I have a
hiatal hernia and had an esophageal ulcer. Your pain may be skeletal or muscular also. I also get waves
of nausea that come and go. I eat through them. I also have had 5 or so colonoscopies, a thallium
stress test and the list goes on. My GI physician told me that in many cases the cause of some pains
and nausea are never found.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: