Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Positive Thinking When You Feel Like You Are Dying  (Read 836 times)

Offline Rik

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Positive Thinking When You Feel Like You Are Dying
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:11:46 AM »
I am aware that I have been a negative thinker all my life. I know from therapy that it starts in childhood as a self protective but maladjusted response.

So here is my question for the CBT people: when you are scared or feeling horribly sick from anxiety do you still tell yourself..."” I am healing” or I am going to be OK.

I have such a hard time with this – it is like I want to say what I am feeling not put a positive spin on it. But I am told that if I say I am feeling like crap it only makes it worse.

Doing the positive spin sort of feels phony or putting lipstick on the pig!

What do you think???
Bookmark and Share
I have had severe anxiety - recovered 100% several times (for many years) and then stress put me back again. Anxiety drugs made me much worse so I have to do it all natural.

Offline jen2213

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Positive Thinking When You Feel Like You Are Dying
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:54:26 AM »
The one i use for when i feel like i am dying is

"I have felt this way before and I was fine then, so I will be fine now"
Bookmark and Share
I have CDO, it's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!!

Offline Perfectly_Imperfect

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:04:41 PM »
You have to keep telling yourself that, because if you start saying negative things to or about yourself it's just going to cause you to keep feeling bad.

Being positive is a HUGE change for people, it's something they aren't used to, something unfamiliar and it may actually be scary at first but if you continue to say positive things to yourself over and over and over eventually it'll come as 2nd nature.

Distract yourself with something around you, do a puzzle or something that stimulates your mind to shift your focus from your symptoms, to something that puts your body and mind at peace.

It's not going to be easy but keep working at it, I promise thigs will get better!!!
Bookmark and Share
Life's a dance you learn as you go...

Offline Sapience

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 02:35:44 PM »
Ive been there and I understand. For myself, its most difficult to imagine positive thoughts in such a condition, However, it is recommended to think positive even though it may be a challenge to do so. The moral support of a loved one may be helpful. Doing something you enjoy, such as watching a movie or a temporary change of enviroment, such as taking a walk through a nature park. I sometimes go to the nature reserve and walk thru the rescued wildlife section. Just remember to hang in there, never give up, never surrender. Each and every moment of life is precious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Zaelaura

• Rec's: 14
  • all gods are created equal
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »
i think most forms of 'positive thinking' are a load of crap, and generally only work on people who are easily influenced by make believe. like you, i'm not easily convinced by trying to lie to myself with positive thoughts that are just as unlikely as the negative thoughts i have (i.e., 'i'm healing' which is an obvious lie when you tell it to yourself in an episode of panic)

but

i do believe in logical thinking.
i don't try to replace my negative thoughts with happy thoughts.
i just repeat the most logical scenarios i can, and refrain from acting on my negative thoughts as much as possible. instead of pretending to believe things like 'i'm healing', i weigh pros and cons, and i try to make peace with the worst case scenario... i.e., worst case scenario right now: i could die. preventative measures to take? none. resolution? none. consequences? many, but nothing i can give a solution for. conclusion? if it happens, it happens. nothing can be done, nothing i can justify panicking over.
Bookmark and Share
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" - S Roberts

"Well behaved women rarely make history" - LT Ulrich

Offline UpInSmoke

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 10:18:15 PM »
Changing your mindset, more so how you respond to certain thoughts goes a long way. You can't control what comes into your mind all the time, but you can control how your going to let a certain thought affect you. Just recognize the negative thought, accept it as just that, a negative thought. And let it go. Don't feed into or dwell on it, the more focus you give it, the more caught up into it you'll get. I believe positive thinking can benefit for some people. I don't agree with the above poster in the sense that it seems your trying to say that positive thinking is for weak minded people, and can't work for them. Different strokes for different folks. Your going about it the wrong way, it's not like you ignore it and go lalala I'm in my happy place, lol which might actually work for some people. But you can use logical positive thinking. Assess the situation rationally, and don't dwell on it. Like I said, just let that thought go and let your mind drift onto something else. If it's particularly distressing at the time, focus on something that does in face make you happy. For me, that would be my family, the gym, girls, ANYTHING. Use whatever just to get your mind of the stupid stuff.
Bookmark and Share
To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him. -Buddha

Offline fullofself

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 10:20:15 PM »
Speaking as a hypochondriac, whenever I am feeling really intense symptoms (or imagining them, either way) it's hard to say "I'm feeling these symptoms, and that's okay. That's normal for anxiety. And everything is fine". (More ACT than CBT, but whatever).

But we will get better over time! Practice makes perfect.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jlgraham

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 11:12:06 PM »
I've always had the motto "If I don't laugh I'll cry, so I'm just going to laugh instead" and I actually consider myself a mostly optimistic person, but when I'm in the middle of a panic attack it doesn't matter how optimistic I try to be. My body is acting like I'm dying, I FEEL like I'm dying and nothing I tell myself changes that. My Dr. has told me to try breathing exercises, meditation etc. . . but when that moment happens I always react the same. I know everyone is different and I'm definitely happy for anyone who can positively talk themselves out of an anxiety attack, but I just haven't seen the evidence that it works.

Wow that post definitely doesn't make me sound optimistic lol  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline pauly j

• Rec's: 41
  • Constant and Never ending Improvement.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 02:42:39 AM »
It does not matter what your circumstances are at the present moment. Think positively, expect only favorable results, and circumstances will change accordingly. It may take some time for the changes to take place, but eventually they do.

Positive thinking is a mental attitude that admits into the mind thoughts, words, and images that are conducive to growth, expansion, and success. It is a mental attitude that expects good and favorable results. A positive mind anticipates happiness, joy, health and a successful outcome of every situation and action. Whatever the mind expects, it finds.

Not everyone accepts or believes in positive thinking. Some consider the subject "pollyanna", and others scoff at people who believe and accept it. Among the people who do accept it, not many know how to use it effectively to get results.

Practice makes better~Perfect practice makes perfect!

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action; reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character reap a destiny!

pauly j
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's happening to you now or what has happened in your past that determines who you become. Rather, it's your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you're going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny.

- Anthony Robbins

Tags: