Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Heart beating in my throat and feeling heart palps in throat?  (Read 51053 times)

Offline raynebogurl

• Rec's: 0
  • Severe Panic Disorder
    • Poke This Member
Today I was at the beach with my girlfriend and it was 87 degrees out and I starting getting this strange feeling.  It felt like my heart was beating in my throat.  And then it kind of feels like heart palps, but not in my chest where I normally experience them.  It feels  like they are happening in my throat.  Has anyone ever experienced this?  And if so, is it normal or ok?  I keep thinking my heart is beating out of rhythm which makes me panic even worse.  I am only 30.  And I am terrified to go to the ER cuz I don't want them to tell me something bad.  I have worn a holtor monitor twice and nothing showed except for what the Dr. said was "normal irregular rapid heart beat" at times.  I had an EKG at the ER one time and it was fine and at my doctor's office last year and that was fine also.  Other than that, the only other things I have had checked were my thyroid, which is normal and they did a CT scan in the ER to check for pulmonary embolism, which was negative.  Help me!!
Bookmark and Share
- tami

Offline ncmommyof2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart beating in my throat and feeling heart palps in throat?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 08:41:09 PM »
I get the same thing, and it's definately scary. It's been happening to me for about 10 yrs. I've never had any tests done, but my doctor assures me it's normal and happens to alot of people, only others don't seem to notice it like us hypochondriacs do. Mine usually happens once or twice a month. It feels like my heart beat is actually coming up my throat....hard to explain, but I think it's like what you're experiencing. I'm 31 and my heart is my biggest fear. I think I'm having a heart attack DAILY! And when I get palps -- especially bad ones like you're talking about -- I'm convinced I'm dying. But here I am, 10 years later and it hasn't happened yet. I wish I had a good answer for  you; all I can really say is that you aren't alone!
Bookmark and Share

Offline 1thingeveryday

• Rec's: 2
  • Holy crap... the Bene Gesserit were right
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »
I experience these too. I wore a Holter and was told pretty much what you were.

It's apparently very common for people with panic attacks to have healthy but irregularly-beating hearts. The irregular heartbeat triggers panic attacks when we're younger, and when we get older we start to notice the heartbeats themselves, rather than just the adrenaline flooding our systems as a result.

It sounds like you've been checked out pretty well and have a clean bill of health, which is good! The next step in my life was to improve my diet and start getting regular exercise, which has helped me tremendously. And remember, they checked your heart and it's fine. When you get these fluttering heartbeats, remind yourself that it's just panic, and you can work your way through it.
Bookmark and Share
Do one thing every day that scares you.
                                          -Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline raynebogurl

• Severe Panic Disorder
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 02:20:31 AM »
Thank you both so much for your advice.  I ended up going to the ER cuz like I said, I get them once in a while and they last for only a few seconds then they are gone...but yesterday they lasted for hours and it kind of freaked me out, so ppl in the chat told me that I should go get checked out.  They did an EKG and everything was fine, just my heartbeat was a little fast.  They gave me a 1mg Ativan and told me lay back and let it kick in.  Then they came back in about 30 mins later and checked my pulse and oxygen level and said I was fine and good to go.  :)  A huge relief.  Now I need to get the stupid stress test done for absolute peace of mind. 
Bookmark and Share
- tami

Offline tigerpaw

• Rec's: 32
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:49:52 PM »
Thats a good thing Ray!  It will just help you check off another symptom not to fear about!
Bookmark and Share
Psalm 34:4 'He saved me from all that I feared."......

Tags: