Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of taking medication...  (Read 3776 times)

Offline marlee

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of taking medication...
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »
I absolutely hate taking pills of any sort, even if it's just a vitamin.. I try to avoid it at all costs because I'm terrified of what it will do to me, but sometimes I'm forced to take things if I'm sick, like Ibuprofen, but I've taken it before so I don't let it bother me too much.

Yesterday I went to the doctor's and was told I either have mono, strep throat, or tonsillitis and that I HAVE to take the antibiotics he's given me. The last time I had a throat infection I was given Penicillin and had an allergic reaction to it, which was awful.. It was really hard to breath, and I thought I was having a panic attack so I never ended up going to the hospital like I should have.

I'm absolutely terrified to take the Azithromycin he's prescribed me this time around because I'll more than likely have a panic attack, or mistake every little thing my body does as a sign that the medication is effecting my body in a bad way. I'll be really anxious, which will make it harder to breath, and then I'll freak out even more thinking that I'm having an allergic reaction.

I'm really torn between taking the pill or just riding this sickness through. I've been told that if I don't take the meds I could get an infection and get seriously sick.. But I have had this before and have been able to ride it out without meds. I've been sick four times since February though, so I'm not sure my immune system is as strong as it used to be..

I really don't know what to do.. Everyone I've talked to (including nurses and pharmacists) have all told me to just take them, but I really don't think I could handle the anxiety, and the fact that I'd have to take them for the next four days makes it even worse! But I'm also worried that my throat will get even worse and I'll end up having to take more meds and be even sicker.. All of this anxious thinking is really stressing me out..

Has anyone else had an experience like this before? What happened to you?

-- Marlee
Bookmark and Share

Offline Carryon

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of taking medication...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »
Take the pill. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you don't try it, you will never know. It won't kill or hurt you. Give it a try. Don't Google for what it might or might do; you'll just get rumors built on rumors, nothing reliable.

Hope you feel better and I bet you will.
Bookmark and Share
The pursuit of truth is worth more than possessing it.

Offline abaggett2

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 10:54:42 AM »
I too fear medication of any kind.  I will take ibuprofen, cuz like you ...I have taken it and it does not do anything to me.  On the pills from the Dr.  Can you cut it in half?  I don't know if it is a pill or capsule.  If it is a pill, just take 1/2 when you have someone with you and see if you have any adverse effects.  If not, try a whole pill next time.  That is how I do it.  Also, I always take my antibiotics with food.  Otherwise I get a belly ache.  You can do it.  It is scary, but we have to try to get better.  God bless...
Bookmark and Share
Have a blessed day!  God Loves you!

Offline erikakahed99

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 06:30:52 PM »
I dont even know how this started! Its so hard to fight with myself! i have had different anxiety problems all of my life. it was serious as a kid. as a teen and in my early 20's i was perfect! no health problems what so ever. but now i am almost 26, tons of stress in my life I have a lump in my throat 24-7 which the doctors say is anxiety. "globus hystericus" It feels like im choking all of the time! i cant eat, drink, (i love eating ;) ) this has caused me to have panic attacks and all of a sudden out of nowhere i cant take meds? i cant take baby Tylenol, i cant take tums. well i couldnt at first. after a few panic attacks i have to tell myself it will be fine. I have to remeber i have taking all of this before and i will be fine. 

Today i had a doctor visit. My first after the ER diognosed with Globus Hystericus. My doc put me on an antacid and a muscle relaxer. I honestly i dont feel right now that i will panic with the antacid. but im so scared with the muscle relaxer.  I know i shouldnt be. i want to be strong. im just so scared. i try and think to myself that people abuse drugs all the time! people take meds all the time! why cant i take what the doc has perscribed to me?! I feel like i will have a reaction, i feel like the pharmacy gave me the wrong drug. all theese things scare me. How do i be strong? i know that this is ridiculous. im so ashamed. but i want to face my fears. i know that it is the only way. I know there are others out there. I know we can do this. best of luck to you all!
Bookmark and Share

Offline peachersx

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:34:16 AM »
I'm the same, I don't really like putting anything artificial into my body... but you've just got to think. The doctor is prescribing this because it'll make me better. and anyway - what's worse? taking a course of antibiotics or having tonsilitis?!
Get well soon! x
Bookmark and Share
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
           - Jimi Hendrix

Offline pauly j

• Rec's: 42
  • Constant and Never ending Improvement.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:12:14 AM »
I would imagine a high percent of those with anxiety would fear medication, especially if you are one to research all of the possible side effects of it!  I was afraid, as many are, and when first introduced, I was very hesitant!  My doctor prescribed me Lexapro first, and I took only 1 pill, then changed my mind about taking them, and discontinued the Lexapro from that point on!  The next prescription was Paxil!  I filled the prescription but did not take a single pill!  Later, I was prescribed Buspar, picked up the prescription, only to not ever take it! 

After suffering from severe depression, anxiety, panic attacks, AND insomnia, I then decided to move forward with taking them!  My defining moment was because of the insomnia!  I could not sleep for more than 1-3 hours a day for 3 weeks straight!  I was so out of it, I decided to take my doctors instruction, and had success from there on out!  The medication helped me to get a full nights sleep (7-8 hours) from the very first night taking it.  Also my depression lifted, panic attacks stopped, and anxiety level was back to a normal level, as those without anxiety disorder! 

Today I am feeling as I once did before this whole anxiety ordeal!

pauly j
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's happening to you now or what has happened in your past that determines who you become. Rather, it's your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you're going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny.

- Anthony Robbins

Offline abaggett2

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 10:08:59 AM »
Pauly j that is awesome.  I am glad that you are back to being yourself.  I need to get my butt up and go see a Dr and get something worked out.  I just do not like Dr's of any kind and can not make myself an appt and go.  I am working on that.  Have a great day.

anna
Bookmark and Share
Have a blessed day!  God Loves you!

Offline suzuki600

• BookOfPsalms
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 08:36:28 PM »
I have a fear of taking medication also, and I can totally relate when it comes to even taking a vitamin! LOL! I just wonder what it will do to me, or how it will make me feel etc. I think I have that fear because I have taken some meds that have made me feel more anxious, or caused me to feel sluggish etc, so I fear taking meds! I have gotten a lot better though. I have had to take an antibiotic for a wisdom tooth that had gotten bad, and I just took it. I did eventually stop taking it because I noticed it was causing this terrible taste in my mouth, but I was proud of myself for taking it and not reading any side effects. I used to google all meds that I was given and then I would be so afraid to take it, but then once I would try it lots of times I had no side effects and felt better, so I will say this, if you have an infection and have been prescribed an antibiotic, it's best to take it, please! You will be fine. You have to try it to ever know if you can take it or not. You do need to clear that infection though. It's not good to let that linger. Hope that you will give it a try.
Wishing you the best!
Bookmark and Share
"God does move mountains, even if he moves them one shovel at a time!"

Tags: