Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: anxiety and missing work  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Nick

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
anxiety and missing work
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:16:43 AM »
you'd think by now having a panic attack would be a good enough excuse to miss work but it seems GAD, OCD etc. are overlooked in the work place or just merely laughed at. i've nearly lost 2 jobs due to my ocd issues because my bosses thought it was not an excuse to miss work. even if i brought in doctors notes they were tossed aside. can jobs even do this? is this not technically discriminating against somebody with a mental issue?
Bookmark and Share

Offline DanTheMan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: anxiety and missing work
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 08:18:28 PM »
Hey,

Just speculation, but yes, I agree, its just the same as missing work for a physical illness. I think most people are ignorant when it comes to GAD.

3 years ago, a colleague at work took a stress leave, and I thought, "Come on man, suck it up, deal with it..how bad can it be".

Low and behold, I have GAD now, and think its 100x worse then the flu....
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxEvilDeedsxx

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
I agree that it should be taken as a physical illness or whatever and I think that if it's really bad, you should be able to take a day off to wire down. BUT as the person above mentioned, people that do not have it do not think twice about it. They are just like "Oh, your anxious. Get over it." But it's not that easy.

There were times when I couldn't even stand the thought of going into work. I would have stomach problems because I was afraid to have stomach problems. I was working at a computer and all my symptoms just got worse, the head aches and dizziness. It sucked. But no one cared because no one understood.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DanTheMan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »
EVIL: So, when you had these symptoms, did you go to work? How did you cope at work?
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 210
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 10:10:41 AM »
I don't know about all states, but I do know that anxiety/panic is covered by FMLA, Family and Medical Leave Act.  This act protects your job for extended illnesses, although unpaid.  There is a small bit of paperwork involved which is mainly having your doc sign that you suffer from panic/anxiety and it may cause intermittent absences from work.  It may be worth checking into. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxEvilDeedsxx

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 12:40:16 PM »
EVIL: So, when you had these symptoms, did you go to work? How did you cope at work?

I was lucky enough that my husband works and I stay at home with the kids. Sometimes I feel like I'd be better off going to work though because I'm at home all day thinking about every thing that can possible be wrong with me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: