Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Klonopin-Zoloft????  (Read 11510 times)

Offline kayla

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Klonopin-Zoloft????
« on: March 21, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
I went to the DR today and she prescribed Klonopin and Zoloft instead of what I usually take (Xanax)...I would appreciate any information anyone can give me on these two things...like, what has your experience with these been like? Thanks!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline revolution724

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonopin-Zoloft????
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
Hi Kayla,

This thread might get moved to the Medications and Treatment section.  Anyway, I am currently taking Klonopin and Zoloft.  The Zoloft is new, so I'm not sure how it will work out yet.  I have been on it about two weeks and have had some very mild headachiness and seem a little sleepier than usual, and my period came about a week early, but none of this is anything to write home about.  Zoloft is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) and those take about 4-6 weeks to kick in, so I would not expect to see real results right away.  In the long term, if it works, it should help take the edge off of anxiety and depression symptoms by raising serotonin levels in the body.   Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that affects well-being and mood; too little of it is thought to be related to anxiety and/or depression in some people.

Klonopin is the same type of medication as Xanax, a benzodiazepine.  The difference is that Klonopin lasts for a much longer time, so it is more often prescribed for people who have ongoing anxiety, and Xanax works quickly and for a short period of time, so it is prescribed for panic attacks.  I have found that Klonopin helps calm me down a lot for about 24 hours, but it can cause dependence and I had some unpleasant withdrawal symptoms when I stopped taking it previously.  So, I try not to take it every day.  I have not noticed any immediate side effects with Klonopin, apart from feeling very mellow and chill, but when I took it for a longer period of time (every day for a few months), it made me very tired and I had a hard time thinking clearly.

Hope this helps!
Bookmark and Share

Offline nicksan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:30:17 PM »
A few weeks ago, I began a bout with anxiety and began taking .25mg Xanax pills to calm my nerves. The great thing about Xanax is that it kicks in very quickly and the effects are very obvious. But it wears off pretty quickly too, like 3-4 hours for me. After taking about 4 pills over a course of week, I switched to Klonopin. It's in the same class as Xanax and essentially accomplishes the same thing except it doesn't kick in as quick, the effects aren't that obvious, and it lasts longer than Xanax.

I like Klonopin better because the effects aren't obvious so in theory, it's less addictive. I use it only as needed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline UpInSmoke

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:11:10 PM »
Just started this combo two weeks ago, the zoloft seems to make me nauseated and kills my appetite somewhat, but it's too early to see if it's working or not. But I have hope. :D The klonopin I actually really like, I am on small doses of both at the moment. I like it way better than xanax, seems to have a lot more "cleaner" and long lasting effect than xanax for me. Xans were nasty.. :S Short term with lots of rebound anxiety.

The klons actually have gotten me through an interview today no sweat, and has really calmed my nerves a lot even in just two weeks.

This is coming from having lots of DP and panic attacks a month or so ago, so I'm making progress. :D Good luck, I hope it helps you.
Bookmark and Share
To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him. -Buddha

Offline kayla

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:04:16 AM »
thanks for all the info guys! today is my second day of zoloft...and i know it takes a while to actually see the effects, but i'm curious if i would already be feeling nauseous and not have an appetite because that's how i'm feeling and i don't think it's the anxiety making me feel this way, i pretty much always have an appetite. also...are there any weird side effects i should be afraid of?
Bookmark and Share

Offline revolution724

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »
thanks for all the info guys! today is my second day of zoloft...and i know it takes a while to actually see the effects, but i'm curious if i would already be feeling nauseous and not have an appetite because that's how i'm feeling and i don't think it's the anxiety making me feel this way, i pretty much always have an appetite. also...are there any weird side effects i should be afraid of?

The side effects can start pretty early on.  I was nauseous the first day, but not after that.  That's a really common side effect of almost any medication.

I don't think you should be afraid of any of the side effects.  For most people, they are mildly uncomfortable at worst, and they go away over time (like within the first couple of months).  The most common side effects that people complain about with SSRIs like Zoloft are weight gain and sexual side effects (the meds can make your sex drive drop and/or can make it harder to climax).  For a lot of people, those are worth the tradeoff for feeling better; for some, not.  Just keep in mind that it'll take 4-6 weeks before you can feel the beneficial effects of the medication. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline klonopinuser

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:01:56 PM »
Hi Kayla,

I also was on Xanax after having a panic attack for the first time. Then they put me on Klonopin and Zoloft just like you. I took 25mg for the first 4 days, then upped it to 50mg for another 4 days, then to 100mg there after, as per the instructions of my doc. In my case, I hardly had any side-effects, no nausea, just some jaw shivering which is harmless and went away, and a drop in libido, but nothing too concerning. I hope your doc is starting you off on a low dose initially.

Please let me know how you are doing. I have been taking this combo of meds for over 9 months. Were you able to cut back on the Klonopin? or what were the doc's instructions, as I have had trouble cutting back, I am still reliant on the Klonopin which concerns me slightly because I thought the Zoloft would take over.

Let me know if you have any questions too.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 08:31:31 PM »
Were you able to cut back on the Klonopin? or what were the doc's instructions, as I have had trouble cutting back, I am still reliant on the Klonopin which concerns me slightly because I thought the Zoloft would take over.

The Zoloft probably did, but you have become dependent on Klonopin and may be getting withdrawal symptoms when you cut back. One of the most common withdrawal symptoms is anxiety.

Your doctor should be able to advise you the best way of quitting Klonopin. If not, the following may help. Because of the relatively small doses Klonopin comes it it can be difficult tapering off in small steps, especially towards the end. Switching to an equivalent dose of Valium (diazepam) would make it easier. 1mg of Klonopin is about the equivalent of 20mg Valium which comes in 5mg and 2mg tablets that are quite big making it easy to taper by small increments. For example a quarter of the 2mg tablets is equivalent to only 0.025mg Klonopin which you couldn't cut the smallest Klonopin tablet into. Most people find cutting back by 2mg initially and then by 1mg when the dose drops below 5mg/day isn't that difficult, but you can go down by a quarter tablet (0.5mg) if you need to. Because of the long Valium half-life don't reduce the dose faster than every 2-3 weeks. Also be aware that withdrawal effects are as much about psychology as chemistry. Expect to have severe symptoms and your mind is likely to deliver them.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline klonopinuser

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 05:23:33 PM »
The Zoloft probably did, but you have become dependent on Klonopin and may be getting withdrawal symptoms when you cut back. One of the most common withdrawal symptoms is anxiety.

Your doctor should be able to advise you the best way of quitting Klonopin. If not, the following may help. Because of the relatively small doses Klonopin comes it it can be difficult tapering off in small steps, especially towards the end. Switching to an equivalent dose of Valium (diazepam) would make it easier.  ...

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your input and your suggestion on how to handle it. Your advice is exactly the type of thing I was seeking in joining this forum. While I love that Klonopin takes my anxiety away, it truly is a wonder drug, it does makes me quite drowsy, and I find I forget things I've just done; plus who knows what the long-term side-effects are. If I can be on just an antidepressant, that would great! I have an appointment with my Psychiatrist next week and I will be sure to discuss what you suggested.

Thanks again!
KlonopinUser
(the down side is I will have to change my username!)
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »
plus who knows what the long-term side-effects are

Benzodiazepines are a natural component of all food, albeit in small quantities, so your brain is well versed in dealing with them. Clonazepam isn't one of the naturally occurring ones, or at least it hasn't been identified yet, but diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), N-desmethyldiazepam (Nordazepam), lormetazepam (Loramet) and delorazepam (Dadumir) are (Wildmann J, 1988).

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.