Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: can anyone sugest how to help someone dealing with P.T.S.D for the 1st time  (Read 1531 times)

Offline lauren

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
hi my name is Dan and my fiance has P.T.S.D and is dealing with it for the first time she is really out of it and scared i went ahead and got her set up with a therapist but its not until tomorrow i was wondering if their is anything she or i could do in the meantime until tomorrow to try and keep it under controle so it doesn't get worse then it allready is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Grandma

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi dan -

Your fiancee is lucky to have an understanding and supportive ally. 

My advise is to reassure her that the trauma she is experiencing is not her fault, if she needs such reassurance; to help her avoid triggers as she identifies them; to let her know that you may not understand what she is feeling, but that you believe every word she says about what is going on in her mind and in her body; to encourage her to let you know what she needs from you, and to give it to her if you can, or explain kindly if you can't; to urge her to continue therapy and to try medication if her therapist and doctor think it would help;  and to be a buffer between her and family friends who may expect her to "snap out of it" or "stop feeling sorry for herself", to name two of the unwittingly cruel things that people may say.

You have posted two identical posts.  We ask that people not do this, so I am going to remove the one from the introduce yourself forum, and leave this one where it belongs, in the PTSD section.

Love, Grandma
Bookmark and Share

Offline Deb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
hi my name is Dan and my fiance has P.T.S.D and is dealing with it for the first time she is really out of it and scared i went ahead and got her set up with a therapist but its not until tomorrow i was wondering if their is anything she or i could do in the meantime until tomorrow to try and keep it under controle so it doesn't get worse then it allready is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shoegal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
how is she doing now?
Bookmark and Share

Offline look4it

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thnx for sharing guys this iis very helpful