Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Xanax rebound anxiety  (Read 7149 times)

Offline hope2011

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Xanax rebound anxiety
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:22:01 PM »
Does anyone ever have rebound anxiety from Xanax?  After I take a Xanax it seems about three hours later I will have a panic attack again and usually worse than before.  It feels that it calms you for a few hours then it hits you again when it wears off.
Bookmark and Share

Offline constantmover

• Rec's: 57
    • Poke This Member
Re: Xanax rebound anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:20:43 PM »
I haven't had this reaction with xanax but with lorazepam which is another short acting benzo.  Short acting benzos are often prescribed for short term use or as needed.  If you take it as needed and that turns into several times a day and you miss taking a dose at a time that you would normally take it, this rebound anxiety can rear it's ugly head.  This is not a hard and fast rule, but it certainly can be a problem for many people.  If you find that you are needing to take xanax more frequently possibly because of the rebound effect, you might consider talking to you doctor and setting up a schedule for taking this medication at equal intervals or you might consider going to a long acting benzo that you only need to take two to three times a day.  The longer acting benzos stay in the system longer therefore you don't have the peaks and valleys of anxiety.  You just have more of a steady state of calm.  The long acting benzos (klonopin and valium to name the two most common) can be prescribe as needed but for those who have ongoing GAD or frequent panic attacks, there are some who benefit from taking them on a daily basis because there is no rebound effect. 

Rebound anxiety is no fun and in my opinion, if you continue to have this problem, it might be worth a trip to the doctor to discuss what he would recommend to alleviate this problem.  I hope this has been of some help to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hope2011

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 09:22:57 PM »
Thanks.  I also have Valium at my house so I will try that next time instead of the Xanax.  I only take Xanax as needed maybe once a month but the rebound anxiety is pretty bad.  I will ask my doctor next time I see him.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Carryon

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 12:32:05 AM »
I has that happen when I tried Xanax XR for tinnitus, for which it is reported helpful for some in journals. I would  take 1 mg. twice a day for a month and over time developed "interdose" withdrawl symptoms that were were new and unsettling; it was also strong, slowing acting but making me sluggish. I also has trouble when to take the two doses, but it gave me a great night's sleep. One pill did not last long enough. I could have tried a small dosage which might have eliminated the interdose withdrawl problem but might not have been strong enough for the desired benefit. But I trudged through the month during which the noise reducing is supposed to happen and when it didn't I tapered off back to Ativan. Some people swear by the XR version for panic attacks, which are not my problem.
Bookmark and Share
The pursuit of truth is worth more than possessing it.

Offline GraspingHope

• Survivor
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:06:50 PM »
I have not experienced that. Act fast in informing your doctor.
Bookmark and Share
This will not defeat me. There is hope. There is relief.

Offline Carryon

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »
Lorazapam or Ativan, the brand name, has a considerably longer half life than Xanax and is much slower acting by comparison, but not as slow as other Benzos, like Valium, which doctors do not like to prescribe as much now, reserving it for situations where a patient needs to taper off using a longer acting benzo.
Bookmark and Share
The pursuit of truth is worth more than possessing it.

Offline hope2011

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 11:38:42 PM »
I think the Valium might work better.  I did talk to my doctor and Xanax is in and out of your system quickly. Valium lasts a lot longer in your system so you don't get the rebound anxiety.  The rebound anxiety is actually worse than the original panic attack.
Bookmark and Share

Offline constantmover

• Rec's: 57
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 12:19:44 AM »
I think the Valium might work better.  I did talk to my doctor and Xanax is in and out of your system quickly. Valium lasts a lot longer in your system so you don't get the rebound anxiety.  The rebound anxiety is actually worse than the original panic attack.

What can I say other than it is nice to know that your doctor is well informed about the differences in benzos which isn't always the case.  Excellent for following up with your doctor.  I hope the Valium helps. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: