Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: anxiety and the mirena iud??  (Read 8570 times)

Offline jacquiee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anxiety and the mirena iud??
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:05:20 AM »
does any one here have the mirena?? Ive been reading and alot of people are linking their anxiety to the mirena. I have had one for two years now and have bad anxiety.... just wondering if anyone else has linked the two??
Bookmark and Share

Offline novangel

• Poke This Member
Re: anxiety and the mirena iud??
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 11:56:07 AM »
Have you ever taken BC pills before? If so how did they make you feel? If nothing then I would have to say that the Mirena is not a cause.
Bookmark and Share
:action-smiley-065:

Offline jacquiee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 05:34:18 PM »
No this is the first form of bc use used besides condoms
Bookmark and Share

Offline novangel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 07:33:53 PM »
Did you have ANY form of anxiety before you got the Mirena? Were you worried about getting it? I guess what i'm wondering is if you were already predisposed to anxiety and the Mirena is giving you health anxiety. At the same time it is possible for hormones to give people anxiety but it's not very common especially with the IUD considering the hormones are very low dose and mostly stay within your uterus. If you truly believe it's a problem you can always get it removed. I really don't know on this one...
Bookmark and Share

Offline lisad27

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 08:46:38 PM »
I've heard of BC pills being more of a cause of anxiety than the IUD.  As the PP said, did you have anxiety before getting the Mirena?  Have you had problems with HA in the past? I really don't think an IUD could be the cause, mainly because it delivers such a low dose of progesterone into your uterus.  I have actually been on BC for the past two years and had a bout of anxiety last year but am thinking of getting off of it and getting the IUD.  My main concern with BC is the higher doses of hormones and with the IUD, its either very low, like with Mirena, or nonexistent, like with Paragard.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SunnieDay

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 03:06:31 AM »
I took combination birth control pills for years and never had any problems with anxiety.  After the birth of my second child, I didn't want to go back on combination birth control because I was 31 and a smoker.  I had the Mirena inserted when I was 34, thinking it would be perfect for me.  Within two months of insertion, I was a basket case; one minute I was fine, the next minute I was suicidal -- no joke.  It was the single most terrifying experience of my life.  The doctors kept saying I was depressed, but I WASN'T depressed!  I was fine before this horrible thing.  I went from a size 12 to a size 6 in six weeks; my entire existence was one long panic attack.  I cried constantly, shook constantly, lost my appetite, had suicidal (and other scary) thoughts -- I wasn't depressed before the Mirena, but I sure as hell was afterward, so I reluctantly agreed to take Zoloft, and gained all of that weight back.  After about a year, I thought it would be okay for me to taper off of the Zoloft (because of weight and lethargy issues) since I had long before had the Mirena removed.  Within a month, the panic attacks started again.  So, here I am, six years later, still popping Xanax and going on and off the Zoloft for anxiety and panic attacks.  Mirena ruined my life, no bones about it.

I've done a lot of research, and of the women who posted online about anxiety and panic with the Mirena, a lot of them mentioned that they have a tilted uterus (as do I); this could possibly be a contributing factor in our intolerance of the IUD (maybe the weird angle causes the hormone to be released more rapidly).  The other possibility is that, maybe I'm just a "yin/yang" person...maybe I need the balance of BOTH hormones...maybe ONE hormone knocked me so out of whack with the other hormone that I'll never be myself again. :(

Bookmark and Share

Offline novangel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »
It was the single most terrifying experience of my life. I went from a size 12 to a size 6 in six weeks; my entire existence was one long panic attack.  I cried constantly, shook constantly, lost my appetite

This was my reaction after taking Cipro in Sept 2008. It's now Jan 2011 and I'm still on Xanax but am 99.9% better. That med definitely gave me anxiety (I don't care what anyone says) but I kept the anxiety going long after I stopped taking it. Took me a long time to get ahold of myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mistylou143

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »
I second what Sunnie said. I believe the Mirena was the root of this horrible anxiety that I now have. Of course I have no proof, but I believe it 100%.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jacquiee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »
I second what Sunnie said. I believe the Mirena was the root of this horrible anxiety that I now have. Of course I have no proof, but I believe it 100%.
How long did you have the mirena for??
Bookmark and Share

Offline sillyava

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 03:23:42 PM »
I know this thread is old, but I had to add that it caused me horrible anxiety and depression as well.  I lasted 6 days, and was so panicked on the 5th day that when I called to schedule an appt to have it removed, and they couldn't schedule me for 3 days, I took it out myself.  I do not recommend taking it out yourself, but I was at my wits end.  I was starting to feel better, and had my panic attacks almost under control before I had the mirena put in.  The panic attacks were terrible, and I couldn't even get any relief with the xanax that I normally took.  And after the worst of the attack I would burst out crying, because I could not handle them.  I guess the hormones were too much for me to take.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihatethisanxiety

• Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 06:05:42 PM »
I think that I can agree on this too about BC.  Although I don't have an IUD, I was starting to take BC pills again for cramping, and I too believe that any or all of them cause anxiety!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline arl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:12:30 PM »
I to have wondered about my mirena but i have had it a little over two years and just about a month ago started getting the anxiety attacks that i couldn't control i do have a little bit of anxiety anyways for all of my life but i controlled it well never needed any medication to help and them my cousin died and kids got sick and husbands back got worse and i just went off the deep end lost 13 lbs in 4 days and could not sleep normally talking things through with my mom or husband would get me out of a funk i just couldn't i was put on meds long story short ad's are not for me i just called doc and hoping he will put me on something short term not ad's but anyway i was reading about the mirena and i did remember saying that when it first was put in my anxiety level and baby blues got worse but i just dealt with it then everything went wacky in my life and can not take it! so hopefully I wont have to take it out cause i have no insurance and want no more children but i will keep this in mind thanks everyone who replied to this i will take this to my Doctor also. And another food for thought anyone get nervous feelings from dayquil or cold medicines like mucinex because i think they contributed to me feeling nervous i don't have facts just know that i took two mucinex and i dayquil spaced out of course through out the day that all my mess started even had to call ambulance thought i was having stroke haven't been the same really i am just now starting to think medicine isn't the way for me ever! it messes with me differently. I also have a friend that 2 weeks after me took mucinex and had the same thing happen she is now on kolonopin for anxiety so yes i believe that certain things or drugs help contribute to anxiety but it hits harder if u already had problems with it or was the worry wort of the family think of it like a barrel half full of rain water the water being your anxiety level add more rain being whatever mucinex death mirena what have you it starts filling up till over flows and in return u have your anxiety episodes we just need to find a way to drill a hole in our barrel to help with our excess anxiety! anyone have good advice i am always open.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: