Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Adult Separation Anxiety Disorder?  (Read 8664 times)

Offline LM

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Adult Separation Anxiety Disorder?
« on: December 21, 2010, 12:40:33 PM »
In a nutshell--I think I might be suffering from this. I attend a University, and the guy I'm dating lives and works in the same town as my school. Whenever I come home for breaks, especially the longer the break is, I have a lot of anxiety, fears and thoughts that I know aren't realistic about him. When I'm there, this rarely occurs. I lost my dad 8 months ago, and I think this could be part of what makes me anxious when I'm away (I was 10 hours away in school when he died). I feel as if when I'm away from my boyfriend, something is going to go wrong. He's going to leave me, or he's keeping secrets from me, or if I don't hear from him when i think I should, that he's been in a car accident or something. I hate this feeling. I can't even enjoy my breaks because of it. Could this be ASAD? Any pointers, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rginsa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Adult Separation Anxiety Disorder?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 06:43:41 AM »
i don't know but i learned from a friend to think the best of people and the more people you meet the better. and when you know so many people, if one of them disappoints you , it does not hurt as much and then there's no reason to be so anxious or fearful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Grandma

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:40:49 AM »
Hi LM, and welcome to Anxiety Zone!

Your post fascinates me.  I was not familiar with Adult Separation Anxiety Disorder, so I did a little research. It is not included in the current DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association), but has subsequently been recognized as a psychiatric disorder.  The DSM in usage today was published in 1994, with a text revision  - not an inclusion of new material - published in 2000.
The next edition is due for publication in May 2013, and I am guessing that it will include ASAD.

However, you did not write in order to fascinate and educate me, but to ask for advice.  According to what I have read and you have written, I think you may very well have ASAD.  A firm diagnosis would require an in-depth clinical evaluation.  Obviously, I can't do that on line!

If you are indeed diagnosed with ASAD, then it is not going to go away on its own.  The literature indicates that since the disorder is so newly identified, there is not yet a standard treatment.   ASAD is currently treated with a combination of therapy and medication. 

My suggestion is that you schedule an appointment at a mental health agency, perhaps with the Student Mental Health or Health Services at your school.   With your degree of insight, I think you would make good progress in therapy.

Please let us know what happens.

Love, Grandma
Bookmark and Share

Offline momtoaprincess

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 12:22:17 PM »
did you have separation anxiety as a child?  anxiety period?  if not this may be your reaction to your father's death.  we all grieve in different ways.  As far as adult separation anxiety goes, I think I have this to some degree.  Had it as a child and now I have it with regards to my own daughter (who is 5).  I have horrible health anxiety and believe it stems primarily from my intense fear of my child and I being separated (forever) by death
Bookmark and Share

Offline TonyL1

• Rec's: 4
  • Summer is here!!!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 06:41:49 PM »
I have it also  Adult separation anxiety disorder & dependent personality, my case is, In having severe anxiety etc since 1986
I have relied and have lived with my father since , and fear something happening to him etc as he ages, (I'm 43 now) and I totally rely on him as a support person.. it's all so complex, I could write volumes lol 

Bookmark and Share

Offline d0ughnu7

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Just looking to be able to breathe again...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:29:34 PM »
Your situation is very similar to something I'm going through. I had separation anxiety as a child, and after my grandfather's death in January of 08, it came back severely, making me very dependent on my mom and my longterm boyfriend. The thoughts you are experiencing when you're away from your boyfriend are almost identical to what I have with my boyfriend. My separation anxiety was made even worse this January, when my dad inexplicably left and has decided to only really talk to my siblings, not so much my mom and I. I'm now in the process of moving in with my boyfriend, which makes me feel closer to my bf, but is seriously flaring up my ASAD with my mom...so I totally get what you're going through, and think it's very possible that what you're going through is ASAD, but I couldn't tell you for sure (mine is only self diagnosed, but I'm in the process of trying to find a doctor to be officially diagnosed, if that is in fact what I have).

Here for you if you need/want to talk to someone in a similar situation!
Bookmark and Share
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
~Buddha

Tags: