Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Feel Like I'm Going to Stop Breathing  (Read 20675 times)

Offline olethros

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Feel Like I'm Going to Stop Breathing
« on: December 11, 2010, 06:06:39 AM »
Does anyone ever start feeling like they're just going to stop breathing?  Like, it almost feels like I've been holding my breath, even though I haven't.  It gets really scary and can start throwing me into a panic because I feel like I am going to stop and then die from not breathing.  I know it's never happened, despite numerous times that I've felt like it was going to, but it's still worrisome when I feel it. 

Also, if you have felt that way, what have you found helps with it? 

For me, sometimes it helps to just chew on a piece of ice, or play a game on my ipod or something like that. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feel Like I'm Going to Stop Breathing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 06:48:26 AM »
You have all but answered your own question. Distraction. The route out of the problem. Take your mind off of things. You are inwardly thinking and are more aware of the breathing. Fact is you can't just stop breathing. No matter how hard you try. It is impossible. We will always breathe when we have to. At worst it can become irregular. But that is just because we have allowed it to get that way. But it will never ever stop. Trust me on that one. And keep using the distraction methods you are using. They do work.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline JJP

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 10:48:11 AM »
Finding a way to relax is even better then distraction I find. I've had that feeling that I'm going to stop breathing symptom for a while now. I used to deal with it by playing games, or twitching a different part of my body just to try to distract myself. But just very recently I've been practicing meditation, sleeping more, and taking long baths and I find I it's no longer necessary to distract myself. I just feel better! So I would say, definitely distraction in a pinch, but in the long run try to work on relaxation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Grandma

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 02:24:56 PM »
Actually, you can stop breathing if you try hard enough, but you have to try really really hard, and you stop for a fraction of a second only.  Have you ever seen a toddler having a tantrum hold her breath until she turns blue and passes out?  And then what happens?  She immediately and automatically starts breathing again!

As Cuchculan says, we will always breathe when we have to.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuz

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »
Finding a way to relax is even better then distraction I find.

Well said!!

Does anyone ever start feeling like they're just going to stop breathing?

You are doing exactly what anxiety wants you to do, falling for those bluffing thoughts. The whole trick behind turning it all around is relaxing towards any symptoms that show up, instead of getting anxious about them (the opposite), which just feeds it.. Its not easy but its the key. If it were easy, we would all be cured..
Bookmark and Share

Offline Marpi

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 12:20:50 AM »
I get that feeling sometimes for sure.  So unpleasant but just like every other symptom, the more we focus on it, the more we think of the worst possible outcome.  Thinking positive thoughts will help, as cheesy as that sounds and of course, distracting yourself like you're doing.  Self-Hypnosis really works miracles, just put in the suggestion that you're alright and you're going to stop thinking about that will greatly reduce the amount of time you spend thinking about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nyiaca

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:33:31 PM »
You are not alone! Right now I am having that feeling. It is so scary, it runs thru my whole body and I seriously, 100% believe I am going to stop bbreathing and die. It is so surreal. I take meds and that takes it away. Or else I do soemthing, some task like laundry or something to get my mind off of it. Takiong a walk is the best antidote--but it's too cold outside right now!

But in the long run, there's got to be a better way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lilgina

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:54:26 PM »
When we are anxious our breathing becomes shallow, and muscular tension can keep our chests tight (or diaphram) which can make you feel like you aren't breathing right or getting enough breath, but I don't think it is physiologically possible to just stop breathing---even though it feels like it could happen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline learning to cope

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 11:33:08 PM »
I get that feeling all the time. I am actually feeling that way right now which made me come here. I try to talk myself down of the ledge and remember that this is all in my mind, it's not real, I can not and will die from this. I am not going to just stop breathing. I tell myself this over and over. Also it helps to come here and read some of the posts. They sometimes remind me of how untrue my thoughts are.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Seaflee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »
I must say that I am glad that I am reading this.  I have been having this so much lately.  I just feel like I am loosing my breath or I am just going to drop.  We must take comfort in the fact others are feeling this same way.  It just makes me want to sit and look on the internet and try to get answers.  I don't feel like I should do much because if it is heart related I could drop.  However that is not what I should be doing.  We need to get our minds off from it somehow someway.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: