Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: heart attack or pulled chest muscle?  (Read 16799 times)

Offline hope-girl

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
heart attack or pulled chest muscle?
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:38:50 PM »
Hello again!

So, I've been good for the past few weeks. It's been nice.

And although I'm not freaking out about it, I just noticed that my left pectoral muscle is sore and tender. As in, just under the front of my armpit, and extending to the front part of my upper chest, above the breast. Of course, with it being my LEFT one, I'm concerned. Okay. Maybe freaking out. Oh well. Comes with the territory I guess.

Also my neck and back hurt, but they pretty much hurt all the time. I read online (I know - BAD!) that if the pain radiates down the left arm and up around the left side of the neck/back, then it could be symptomatic of a heart attack. And as a mitro-valve-prolapse sufferer, that's always been a big fear of mine. Well, when I read that, I remember thinking "nope, dont have that radiating pain" and guess what happened??? a few minutes later, I had it. Pain in my left arm and neck.

I CANNOT go to any more ER visits. A. I hate going to a Dr. or dentist or any health person. B. I can't afford any more co-pay visits. B. I have a halloween party tonight.  I know people can't diagnose a heart attack here and that's not what I'm looking for.

Has anyone ever strained their pectoral muscle before? I have in the past, when I'm working out, but it's been both of them, not just one. I DO remember yesterday, at some point (though it's not a clear memory), having my pec muscle freeze up (sort of like a cramp) and it hurt pretty badly for a few seconds. And now, today I feel the soreness. I wasn't working out, but I was helping with a friend's kid's birthday party, carrying awkward loads, and of course sometimes my own 35 lb. child (always carry him on my left hip if he needs me to).

As I know what a strained pec muscle feels like, this feels the same way. Tender to the touch. This wouldn't feel that way for heart attack pains, right? It's not stabbing, or crushing pain. Just sore, tender pain. But now it's in my arm and neck and back too. Help!

Can anxiety cause random muscles like this to just cramp and be sore later???
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 181
    • Poke This Member
Re: heart attack or pulled chest muscle?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 12:45:30 PM »
what stuck out to me was this

I remember thinking "nope, dont have that radiating pain" and guess what happened??? a few minutes later, I had it. Pain in my left arm and neck.

that's a self-fulfilling prophecy right there!  I've done that to myself.  I did it with my fear of getting nystagmus (if you don't know what it is, don't look it up). I said one day after looking at my "for sure have MS symptoms"  well at least I don't have nystagmus.  Well a day later it started happening--at least that is what I thought it was--shaky vision.  I actually know what it looks like as my oldest has nystagmus, she doesn't have MS either.

Honestly if you were having a heart attack, you wouldn't be able to post on the ZONE.

Have a friend--in good shape and all that--standing at the desk at the YMCA--who had some extreme pain down the arm and in the chest.  He told them, "I think I'm having a heart attack."  AND he did.  THe ambulance was called and off to the hospital.   He has fully recovered by the way.

Just because you fear a heart attack (even with a mitral valve prolapse which many folks have) doesn't mean you will ever have a heart attack.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Tags: