Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety Only at night?? Right before sleeping  (Read 35978 times)

Offline stateofemergency

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety Only at night?? Right before sleeping
« on: October 28, 2010, 02:36:16 AM »
Does anyone else have this? MY anxiety reaches its peak right before i go to sleep, or as im laying down on the bed.
Sometimes the htoughts come and pass by, some just stick and last longer, and eventually develop into a panic/anxiety attack.
I'm terrified of panic itself, so i try to avoid it, and by that im only making it worse..
sigh help pls :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline oneworld2010

• Rec's: 6
  • hiya....)
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety Only at night?? Right before sleeping
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 03:44:51 AM »
Hi. be as active as you can during the day. Try a sleeping pill just before you retire, but alternate the days. reason with yourself. the fear /panic comes at same time each day because thats what your afraid of and thats when it happened last. So in effect your creating that cycle yourself.... :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share
FEAR: FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL---Unknown

Offline WineKitty

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:24:18 PM »
I have anxiety before sleeping (but that isnt the only time for me).  My doc gave me Klonopin but I am hoping not to have to take it very often.  It is nice to be able to take it and just sleep though, I have to admit. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline stateofemergency

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »
wine, what kind of med is Knolopin? Is it anxiety relief med or sleep inducing med? I want to try it too if it works for you
Bookmark and Share

Offline WineKitty

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »
Klonopin is generically called clonazepam and is a member of the benzo family.  From what I have heard/read its somewhat addictive for a lot of people which is a downside of it.  Personally, I don't find it addictive and it sure makes me sleep.  To the point where I don't dream (I am a VERY active dreamer) and don't even seem to move in my sleep much (also something I do a lot of).  It has a "half life" where its active in your system at half strength up to 35 hours after you take it.  I think its also a seizure medicine but is commonly prescribed to anxiety sufferers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kryztle21

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:16:10 PM »
I have the same issue and have for years. What happens is you developed a fear of anxiety and panic disturbing you when you try to sleep. So you kinda set yourself up. It's the time we can actually lay there undisturbed and focus on everything bothering us. i have small children at home and I'm pregnant so I cannot take sleeping pills. What i do for myself now is set up the same nightly routine to let myself know it's time for sleep. I take a warm bath while reading a book then I get all PJ'd and play either relaxation music or guided sleep meditation videos from youtube on my laptop which are reserved for really bad nights. Don't try to just lay there in the dark and hope you fall asleep. Try methods to relax you and your mind. Hope this helps and goodluck.
Bookmark and Share
"Sometimes the greatest pains in our life are caused by us trying to avoid pain" - RD Laing

Offline colliedog

• The Life of the Dead is in the Mind of the Living
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »
I had panic attacks just before sleeping for months. Interestingly I didnot know what they were. It wasn't until I was visiting my brother in hospital that I was able to give it a name. After that I was hospitalized with a full blown attack. I am now on meds. and have the anxiety somewhat under control.

Bookmark and Share
No farewell words were spoken, no time to say goodbye, you were gone before I knew it and only G-d knows why

Offline stateofemergency

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »
The weird thing is, relaxing music kinda makes me anxious now cause those are the type of songs I'd listen to when I'm anxious..so it reminds me of the old times
Bookmark and Share

joycicle

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »
I have had this so often it's not even funny. It seems the very worst right before I drift off to sleep . I always think it is because my mind is starting to turn off for the night and then the anxious part of my mind says OH  NO I gotta be in control or X,Y or Z will happen. 
I have found daydreaming/fantasing helps me ignore it. Like my favorite is 'what if i won the lotto' and then I imagine all I would do with the money and that distracts me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline waterbill

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »
This to stateofemergency....."The weird thing is, relaxing music kinda makes me anxious now cause those are the type of songs I'd listen to when I'm anxious..so it reminds me of the old times"

That is so interesting that you say that about relaxing music! I used to listen to it when i was very anxious when I woke up. That was my worst time for feeling awful. Now I have been on medication and am feeling less anxiety....and I don't like to listen to that music any more...it reminds me of when I was soooo anxious.
Bookmark and Share

joycicle

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 09:37:20 AM »
RE: the relaxing music reminding you of more anxious times.....
Isn't it odd the power of suggestion with regards to anxiety. You can be having a perfectly  normal day
and then hear on the radio or a friend or read something about something TOTALLY unrelated to
anything about you and then BOOM, you can get yourself worked up.  That one thing demonstrates
how easily suggestion can SWAY anxiety levels. It's not too fair is it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline constantmover

• Rec's: 57
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 12:06:49 PM »
First, I think it is important to know what medications you are on before suggesting taking any medication for sleep.  I had this problem a few years ago and now I sleep like a baby. 

The first time I started having sleep problems was when I was going through peri-menopause.  I don't know how old you are or what your gender is, but if you are between the ages of 36 and 50, and female, this could be a result of that.  If you are male then obviously, this isn't a problem that you need worry about.

Even though I would prefer to make recommendations knowing what medication you are on, if any, I will go ahead and tell you what has help for me.  Some were great help and others, moderately helpful. 

If you are on an SSRI, sometimes they can give you vivid dreams that make it hard for a person to fall asleep.   Fear of that or staying awake because the dreams are so vivid and strange, can really play on you and make you want to avoid sleep.  If this is the case, the adding of a benzo may remedy it.   Depending on what other medications you are taking or if you are taking anything, I would suggest clonazepam as it is a longer acting benzo than ativan, Xanax, to mention just two.  I can't stress enough that it is important to know what medications you are on and how they could react with additional medication whether it be the addition of a sleeping pill or a benzo.  This is something you would have to talk with your doctor about and also your pharmacist.  These medications are great on the short term but are harder to get off of when taking them for the long haul.  The addictive thing that so many doctors and patients are afraid of is more for the shorter acting benzos as once you find the appropriate dose level of clonazepam, you are unlikely to have to keep upping the dose like you would with a short acting benzo. 

Before you get into taking a benzo though, you might want to try putting a TV in your bedroom with a timer on it and watch mindless TV until you fall asleep.  Having a timer on the TV helps so you don't even have to touch the remote which could disturb you while you are just falling off to sleep.  This worked for me for a while.

Warm bath before bed is a great idea as well as warm milk.  Warm milk has some sort of properties in it that makes one sleepy.

Another trick is to not go to bed until you are completely tired.  Even if you have to stay up to 2am, it is better to do that than wake up at two in the morning and not be able to get back to sleep for the rest of the night.  Personally, I would rather get 5 hours of unbroken sleep than 8 hours of tossing and turning.

If you do fall asleep but wake up in the night, then get up and go watch TV or read  book until you feel tired again.  Don't just lay in bed staring at the ceiling.  If you live alone just read a book in bed or watch a mindless movie on TV again with the timer.  Chances are you will fall asleep right in the middle of the best part. 

Don't whatever you do take an afternoon nap.  If you nap, even if you are really tired, you will screw up your night sleep and that is the one that counts the most.  Napping in the afternoon is something you may do only after you have a handle on the nightly sleep or if you are sick. 

If all this fails, then time to get out the sleeping pills or the benzo.  My preference is the benzos because you have GAD so you can kill two birds with one stone by taking the benzo especially clonazepam.  I like the other short acting benzos too, but only for short term use.  If you feel you will get past this nightly fear of going to sleep, then a short acting benzo like ativan or Xanax could very well be appropriate.  I started with ativan (lorazepam) and definitely got a good night's sleep when using it, but after a while,  found that I needed to up my dose and that is when I switched to klonopin (clonazepam) instead.  It stays in your system longer and it gives you a more steady state of calm.  Valium is another long acting benzo and one that my mother used with success on an as needed basis.  I hope you understand that these are just suggestions and ones that I tried with varying degrees of success. 

Please don't be too worried about taking a benzo.  I know that many people are completely opposed to them because of their addictive quality, but some of that is propaganda.  The pharmaceutical companies make more money on the new drugs and the benzos have been around for a long time.  Therefore, they are extremely cheap to purchase.  If you go off a benzo gradually, just like you would do with an SSRI, you should not have too much of a problem.  It is important to do it this way so that you don't experience the nasty side effects of withdrawal, but that is something you have to do with all drugs one has taken for an extended period of time. 

I hope this has given you some food for thought.  Oh, talking about food, you are best not having any coffee or food after dinner.  You can have herbal tea or the already mentioned warm milk, but not food that will just sit in your stomach and upset your sleeping pattern. 

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline daredevil

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »
Nights are bad for me too - i think it is because there are less distractions and you are alone with your thoughts.  Can make it worse when you are actually by yourself.  However, making a routine does help - and good movies or TV shows...curling up with a pet.  Reading a good book.  They really do help.  I am actually a night person, so I hate it when my anxiety creeps into my nights, but it does happen.   Distraction is key.  Like my therapist said - you can't think about two things at once.  It's physically impossible.  If you are engaged in something else, you can't be having anxiety about a different issue.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stateofemergency

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 03:13:10 AM »
Nights, exactly when I'm laying on the bed/before falling asleep = anxious thoughts everywhere
In the morning when I wake up = anxious thoughts, thinking about how I'm going to be today with my anxiety etc
In the evening = realizing that it's nap time soon, gives me anxiety.

What a harsh cycle huh.
The only time im anxious free is actually at nights but hours before going to sleep, and in the afternoon when the sun shines brightly
Bookmark and Share

Offline oneworld2010

• Rec's: 6
  • hiya....)
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 03:22:02 AM »
Best cure is to think that youve been like that. day after day and in the end what... Nothing happens, nothing goes wrong. You still sleep. You still wake. You still get through the day.....and you will morrow and the day after that, and the next year too. So whats the point of worrying..... :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
FEAR: FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL---Unknown

Tags: