Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety Only at night?? Right before sleeping  (Read 40746 times)

Offline stateofemergency

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety Only at night?? Right before sleeping
« on: October 28, 2010, 02:36:16 AM »
Does anyone else have this? MY anxiety reaches its peak right before i go to sleep, or as im laying down on the bed.
Sometimes the htoughts come and pass by, some just stick and last longer, and eventually develop into a panic/anxiety attack.
I'm terrified of panic itself, so i try to avoid it, and by that im only making it worse..
sigh help pls :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline oneworld2010

• Rec's: 6
  • hiya....)
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety Only at night?? Right before sleeping
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 03:44:51 AM »
Hi. be as active as you can during the day. Try a sleeping pill just before you retire, but alternate the days. reason with yourself. the fear /panic comes at same time each day because thats what your afraid of and thats when it happened last. So in effect your creating that cycle yourself.... :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share
FEAR: FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL---Unknown

Offline WineKitty

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:24:18 PM »
I have anxiety before sleeping (but that isnt the only time for me).  My doc gave me Klonopin but I am hoping not to have to take it very often.  It is nice to be able to take it and just sleep though, I have to admit. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline stateofemergency

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »
wine, what kind of med is Knolopin? Is it anxiety relief med or sleep inducing med? I want to try it too if it works for you
Bookmark and Share

Offline WineKitty

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »
Klonopin is generically called clonazepam and is a member of the benzo family.  From what I have heard/read its somewhat addictive for a lot of people which is a downside of it.  Personally, I don't find it addictive and it sure makes me sleep.  To the point where I don't dream (I am a VERY active dreamer) and don't even seem to move in my sleep much (also something I do a lot of).  It has a "half life" where its active in your system at half strength up to 35 hours after you take it.  I think its also a seizure medicine but is commonly prescribed to anxiety sufferers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kryztle21

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:16:10 PM »
I have the same issue and have for years. What happens is you developed a fear of anxiety and panic disturbing you when you try to sleep. So you kinda set yourself up. It's the time we can actually lay there undisturbed and focus on everything bothering us. i have small children at home and I'm pregnant so I cannot take sleeping pills. What i do for myself now is set up the same nightly routine to let myself know it's time for sleep. I take a warm bath while reading a book then I get all PJ'd and play either relaxation music or guided sleep meditation videos from youtube on my laptop which are reserved for really bad nights. Don't try to just lay there in the dark and hope you fall asleep. Try methods to relax you and your mind. Hope this helps and goodluck.
Bookmark and Share
"Sometimes the greatest pains in our life are caused by us trying to avoid pain" - RD Laing

Offline colliedog

• The Life of the Dead is in the Mind of the Living
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »
I had panic attacks just before sleeping for months. Interestingly I didnot know what they were. It wasn't until I was visiting my brother in hospital that I was able to give it a name. After that I was hospitalized with a full blown attack. I am now on meds. and have the anxiety somewhat under control.

Bookmark and Share
No farewell words were spoken, no time to say goodbye, you were gone before I knew it and only G-d knows why

Offline stateofemergency

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »
The weird thing is, relaxing music kinda makes me anxious now cause those are the type of songs I'd listen to when I'm anxious..so it reminds me of the old times
Bookmark and Share

joycicle

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »
I have had this so often it's not even funny. It seems the very worst right before I drift off to sleep . I always think it is because my mind is starting to turn off for the night and then the anxious part of my mind says OH  NO I gotta be in control or X,Y or Z will happen. 
I have found daydreaming/fantasing helps me ignore it. Like my favorite is 'what if i won the lotto' and then I imagine all I would do with the money and that distracts me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline waterbill

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »
This to stateofemergency....."The weird thing is, relaxing music kinda makes me anxious now cause those are the type of songs I'd listen to when I'm anxious..so it reminds me of the old times"

That is so interesting that you say that about relaxing music! I used to listen to it when i was very anxious when I woke up. That was my worst time for feeling awful. Now I have been on medication and am feeling less anxiety....and I don't like to listen to that music any more...it reminds me of when I was soooo anxious.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything