Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: white sore on my tonsil??  (Read 15306 times)

Offline learning to cope

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
white sore on my tonsil??
« on: October 25, 2010, 10:48:56 PM »
I am freaking out and am trying not to google anymore because I already have. I was brushing my teeth this about thirty minutes ago and noticed a white spot on my right tonsil. Never in my life have I ever seen anything like that in my mouth. It caught my attention as I gargled in the mirror. I am in no pain (well I wasn't but now I swear I can feel it in the back of my throat), I do not have a fever or a sore throat. I do have terrible sinus and allergies but again I have never seen any white spots like this on my tonsil. Its like two white sores on my right tonsil only. Please I am freaking out because I am afraid of having some untreated STD or something. I was perfectly fine now I feel like I can't swallow and that I can feel a large lump in my throat. Hypo is taking over. At first I googled and said "it's no big deal. i will give it a few days and then call the doctor" But now i need reassurance. I have returned to the computer three times in 10 minutes trying to fight the thought that something is really wrong. I need some advice. Help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mikepol2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: white sore on my tonsil??
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:53:52 PM »
WELL let me say that even though I am a raging hypochondriac and about the throat in particular, that one sounds like no problem.  In my 20's I had a white spot that would appear on my tonsils.  Turns out they were infected and the white spots were little pus balls (I know, sounds gross), about as big as a BB.  You might just find out that some antibiotics clear it right up.  But since we're talking about your throat - where does it feel like you're having a hard time swallowing?  Does it feel like a certain part of your throat is tight, or that the lump is in a certain location?  Good luck!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mommyof2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 01:04:26 AM »
It's most likely tonsil stones. I know because I, too, was freaking out about a month ago over the same issue and my doctor told me if my antibiotics didn't clear me up he was gonna refer me to an ENT because he thinks it's tonsil stones. Nothing serious it's just when debris or food get caught into those little crypts in your tonsil. Most people get them some can get them out on their own or have to have the doc scrape them out. Mine are so deep and big I think they'll have to dig them out. Advice my doctor gave me was try with a flash light and a q tip to dig it out, gargle with mouth wash or peroxide and they will eventually come out, or by an ice pick like the dentists use and flush them out. Try not to worry as these things are normal and not dangerous. If it doesn't go away just ask your doc and they will get it out someway. Hope I was helpful.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline reimers2244

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:08:27 AM »
I agree with mommyof2. Your tonsils are pitted like golf balls (except the grooves are deeper) When you eat, food particles get stuck in those grooves and build-up over time. I used to be able to expell them myself just by pushing with my throat...okay, I really cant explain how to do that  :laugh3:  but I know that what used to come out of mine were little hard white balls that are extremely smelly  :sick0002: I started rinsing my mouth and gargling and that has seemed to help.
They are completely harmless
Bookmark and Share
Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation.

Offline learning to cope

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 12:55:26 PM »
Thanks for the advice. This morning I went to brush and I began to cough up exactly what ya'll described. These white, smelly, not so small tonsil stones. I then looked at my tonsil again and saw nothing there so obviously that's what this was. Wow you learn something new everyday I guess. Thanks everyone again for the help!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: