Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: blood pressure higher from being sick?  (Read 14760 times)

Offline sweetblubrry

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
blood pressure higher from being sick?
« on: October 15, 2010, 10:12:09 PM »
I finally got over the horrific sickness that was last week. The doctor told me I probably had a kidney infection because I came in with a high fever and everything else looked pretty clear as far as chest and nasal passages. My blood pressure was also 135/85 which scared me. The urine test in the office showed I had microscopic amounts of blood plus white blood cells indicating infection. So they sent the test off to the lab and gave me ciprofloxacin (antibiotic) and sent me on my way! I immediately felt better within 2 days. It took awhile but my fever eventually went back down to normal.

A few days later I got a call from the office about my results... and they came back NEGATIVE! What the heck?! How was I that sick and it was obvious the antibiotics worked if the rest came back negative for any blood/bacteria? Don't get that one at all..

I am also worried about my blood pressure because it was so high for me... i mean usually it is 110! Is it possible that it was just raised because I was sick? I'm 25, 125lbs, and I try my best to exercise... its been awhile obviously because of this sickness. Gah.
Bookmark and Share
Struggled on and off since I was 13 (29 now) with health anxiety and OCD. No therapy. I accept my thoughts and deal with it as it comes.

Offline dancer67

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
Re: blood pressure higher from being sick?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 10:42:15 PM »
Your BP will rise if you are sick, in pain, at the Dr's etc....and your numbers were not even high. I would not worry at all.

I hope you are feeling better real soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sickntired

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 07:54:54 AM »
Your blood pressure will go up when ur sick (worried) and have a fever. Your  blood pressure elevates, heart beats faster when your body temp is up at least that's how it is for me:-(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Wornoutworrier

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 09:16:20 AM »
Yes it will rise and it really wasn't too bad.  It's the bottom number that really matters and that wasn't that elevated.  It can really spike after surgery.  I have high blood pressure and my doctor is happy if I'm at 80 or below with meds.  It used to be that you weren't considered to have high blood pressure until the bottom number was 90 but they revised it to the lower number.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 10:16:18 AM »
My physician has told me that your blood pressure can rise when you are sick.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Jeannddp

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:14:21 AM »
White coat syndrome and any sort of pain causes elevated BP. I normally have low/normal BP with a rapid pulse. Last week when I was at doc (fearing illness) office my BP was skyrocketed and forget about my pulse. It's all very normal.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: