Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hands numb when waking up from sleep  (Read 13050 times)

Offline magnumforce2006

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hands numb when waking up from sleep
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:14:17 AM »
Hi there everybody.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced a (seeming) increase in their hands "falling asleep" while sleeping. It's happened to me quite a bit over the past few weeks (coinciding with many other anxiety-like symptoms).

Oftentimes it'll just be my pinky and ring finger on my right hand, but last night pretty much my whole left hand was asleep when I woke up earlier than I wanted to.
Bookmark and Share

Online sixpack

• Rec's: 197
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hands numb when waking up from sleep
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:21:22 AM »
yes it happens to me.  I also have a bit of nerve compression from disks in my neck.  For me it is my left pinky/outside of my ring finger down to my palm,  on my right it is my thumb down to my palm.  This sort of thing is caused by nerve compression--could be disk issues or just the way you are sleeping.  I know my numbing happens more when I'm anxious.  This is because my muscles get more tense and then press on the nerves.

a week or two ago I knew things were acting up because my left palm started hurting.  As the day wore on, I noticed that the sensation was moving up my arm.  By evening my neck area was hurting.  All that it was was stiff neck/shoulder muscles impinging on all the junk in my neck.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:10:43 AM »
You are just sleeping on your hands or in an odd position. It happens to all of us at one point
or another.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline mermaid

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:23:21 AM »
as sixpack said this is a nerve in the neck thing. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with both arms from shoulder to fingertips numb or full of pins and needles - but lucky for me this started 20 years ago before I had HA and I was quite calm about it and went to a physio. I still get it sometimes tho but it doesn't worry me, I sit up, shake my hands until the feeling returns to normal and go back to sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline magnumforce2006

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:42:27 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure this has happened to me many times before, but under normal circumstances I would just not care or not even notice and go back to sleep.

Ever since I've been experiencing anxiety symptoms, I interpret every bodily function negatively, and waking up in the middle of the night (usually to go pee or for some other reason) with a numb hand or fingers immediately makes me anxiuos, and prevents me from giong to sleep again.

I suppose it doesn't help that when we wake up we are in a very vulnerable state. Often even when I wake up in the morning (at the right time) I'll start worrying about my body before there's even a reason to.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GillLFC

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:01:29 AM »
I often wake up and my arms are numb from my shoulders to my elbows, it's weird. Also got up twice this week and a tiny patch, about the size of a penny on the sole of my foot was numb. I thought I was stood on something for a minute but I looked and nothing was there.

I think we need a new mattress but can't afford one yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hope-girl

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 09:26:04 AM »
Since my HA became full blown, almost every morning I wake with pins&needles in my hands. And it will often wake me in the middle of the night. So annoying.
Bookmark and Share

Offline magnumforce2006

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 12:41:44 PM »
So, just went to take a short nap in a chair, and low and behold, my left hand started falling asleep again.

This is somewhat worrisome  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline frazzle

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 12:44:45 PM »
Could be carpal tunnel maybe? or as someone suggested just sleep positions..

when you are anxious...your central nervous system goes into overdrive and attributes to so many physical symptoms....don't breathe any more life into them, or they will take over.

Bookmark and Share

Offline magnumforce2006

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 12:46:20 PM »
Why would it only start when I started napping though? My hands were at my side, btw.

Also, I was feeling pretty calm/good today... until this again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Forrest70

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 12:47:30 PM »
I get it all the time even though i tested neg for c.t.s!Mine was all caused from my line of work being a tile setter..But being Stressed like Six says seems to make it worse!
Bookmark and Share
For each disorder that doctors cure with drugs..they produce ten others in healthy subjects by inculating them with that pathogenic agent a thousand times more virulent than all the microbes in the world,the idea that one is ill.

Offline magnumforce2006

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 12:52:53 PM »
I get it all the time even though i tested neg for c.t.s!Mine was all caused from my line of work being a tile setter..But being Stressed like Six says seems to make it worse!

Yours happens while sleeping?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Forrest70

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 12:57:50 PM »
yep all the time!half my hand all of my hand my whole arm ext goes numb at times i have even woke up with just my big toe being numb as well as my whole leg..But it seems to come and go!but i have woke up where my wrist was put ina odd spot like really bent and that will make your hand go numb but there are two nerves that run down your arm they work one half of your hand...And stress can make things even worse!
Bookmark and Share
For each disorder that doctors cure with drugs..they produce ten others in healthy subjects by inculating them with that pathogenic agent a thousand times more virulent than all the microbes in the world,the idea that one is ill.

Offline magnumforce2006

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 01:05:14 PM »
I guess what's bothering me is the fact that this is a sure sign of carpal tunnel, which is also related to lyme disease... And I had put that out of my mind for awhile, but once again, it's racing in my head that that's what's been causing my symptoms (even though I've gotten 2 blood tests now negative).
Bookmark and Share

Online sixpack

• Rec's: 197
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 04:13:23 PM »
mine will do that with napping too  OR just sitting in a chair funny for any length of time.  Carpal tunnel is related to inflammation of nerves in a very narrow passaged way in your wrist.

btw--I woke up the other night and stood to go potty.  My leg collapsed out from under me. It had fallen asleep and I hadn't really noticed until I stood up.  I hobbled to the bathroom.  By the time I got back to bed it wasn't like that anymore.  BUT it felt weird for about 1/2hr.  My kids have this happen to them all of the time too.  THis isn't a big deal.   
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: