Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: legs feel heavy when climbing stairs (even just one step)  (Read 8077 times)

Offline mermaid

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
legs feel heavy when climbing stairs (even just one step)
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:27:58 AM »
I am now worried about the fact that on top of the ongoing pain I've been having in my legs and groin area, I noticed recently that when i step UP either on to the sidewalk or up a stair or two my legs feel extremely heavy, like it's a real effort to do that movement.

in addition i keep getting a numb section in my right foot (underneath the middle of the ball of my foot).

MS fears are coming back as I read heavy / tired limbs and of course numbness can be from this.

No twitching, no eye problems (well I do keep thinking my vision's a little blurry but I could be imagining that)

Also I don't know if muscle pain in the limbs can be from MS, the book I read where it said about weakness didn't mention pain.

Anyone know what else can cause the tired / fatigue feeling in the legs when stepping up? Can it be associated with fibromyalgia (which is what I think the pain is from - a fibro flare?)

I keep walking on my heels round the lounge and standing on one foot to test my balance (and yes I feel like a real idiot!!)

Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: legs feel heavy when climbing stairs (even just one step)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 07:31:44 AM »
this happens to me when I'm anxious--knowingly or not.  even small tasks seem and feel much harder.  This is the same phenomena for those worried over their hearts.  They walk across the room and they get the palps and short of breath.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline mermaid

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 04:00:23 PM »
thanks for the reply sixpack. however to clarify, i don't feel tired in an out of breath way, i feel like my legs are heavy.

since i posted this this morning, i have had increasing feelings of weakness in botj legs and in my lower back - it feels like I am going to not be able to hold myself up, however apart from some numbness in the one foot i don't have any loss of sensation.

i am trying to figure out how to test real weakness from perceived weakness... it FEELS weak but is it really or is it in my mind!?

i am scared of going to bed because i have this fear when i wake up i won't be able to stand or walk.

my mind is going round - from MS to ALS (I haven't looked up ALS for years but recall that weakness was one of the symptoms) to cancer - i have had pain now for over a month, a clear back x-ray, normal full blood and inflammation blood tests and my ovaries have been scanned and are fine.

i could really use some reassurance on the real V perceived weakness thing and any other comments.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 04:17:45 PM »
  thanks for the reply sixpack. however to clarify, i don't feel tired in an out of breath way, i feel like my legs are heavy.

yes I understand that.  My point was--- legs feeling heavy/weak etc is caused by the same thing that causes people who fear their hearts are in bad shape----fight/flight and fear/anxiety.   When  people who fear they have an issue with their hearts, they have palps and all that.  When people fear MS or ALS or brain tumors, they have heavy, tired, weak feeling limbs.  I have done this myself.  BTW---ALS typically doesn't cause pain.  And weakness in an ALS patient is PROFOUND--as in they can't grasp a refrigerator door handle.  If you have to figure out if you have real weakness from perceived weakness, then you don't have real weakness.  ALS patients don't have to make such a distinction.  I was just reading about a person with ALS.  His wife said that in November he was lifting a very heavy birdhouse and hoisted up to a 12 foot pole by himself.  In March he couldn't even lift up the corner of a canoe with her help. Again, I have felt exactly as you at times.  I don't have ALS/MS/brain tumor or any other neuro nasty.  I have anxiety. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline mermaid

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 06:42:08 AM »
Thanks again sixpack.

i think of all you said, the sentence : BTW---ALS typically doesn't cause pain - has kept me going all morning!

beginning to think maybe there IS a pinched nerve after all...
Bookmark and Share

Offline viningcr

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 11:36:10 AM »
Mermaid,

my wife is experiencing the same exact thing.  What was your outcome!???
Bookmark and Share

Tags: