Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: If you hurt your back or pinch a nerve, can it effect your face?  (Read 5458 times)

Offline JCWest

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
If you hurt your back or pinch a nerve, can it effect your face?
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:21:52 AM »
So I've been thinking that a lot of the symptoms I've been getting are somewhat congruent with what might be a pinched nerve or spinal compression, as others have suggested here. Primarily:
- Right thumb / forefinger occasionally spasms
- Odd sensations and pain when bending back / neck
- Bad back pain after working out or trying to correct bad posture by sitting up straight

Occasionally I've had buzzing or numb spots on my face, and I'm wondering if this can be caused by screwed up nerves in the back/neck? I don't understand how it could be connected, so I thought someone here might know if it's possible?

Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: If you hurt your back or pinch a nerve, can it effect your face?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:14:44 AM »
JC

you can find some chiro sites that explain how facial numbness etc can be caused by issues in the neck.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline JCWest

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:55:42 PM »
Looking into that now on *****.com - thanks Six
Bookmark and Share

Offline SuperJew26

• SuperJew82
  • Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 06:40:59 PM »
neck\TMJ can cause this type of stuff in face.... cervical stenosis / bulging disk in neck can cause a bunch of other stuff.... i find that anxiety causes alot of facial stuff.. have you had anybody look at your neck?
Bookmark and Share

Offline SuperJew26

• SuperJew82
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:56:10 PM »
If you get the sensations when bending your back and neck bending, i'd say lumbosacral... you tug on your lumbosacral (lower back) nerve roots when you bend your head down and that can make little sensations in your upper and lower legs..... if they are electric shocks that shoot out down your spine.... i would get a MRI to rule out anything else.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JCWest

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 07:48:44 PM »
If you get the sensations when bending your back and neck bending, i'd say lumbosacral... you tug on your lumbosacral (lower back) nerve roots when you bend your head down and that can make little sensations in your upper and lower legs..... if they are electric shocks that shoot out down your spine.... i would get a MRI to rule out anything else.

Hey SuperJew,

I know you had something similar at one point, I believe? Luckily they are not shocks or anything like that, I've read all about L'hermittes and have been told that what I'm experiencing doesn't sound like it. I will look into the back muscles you mentioned, what was your experience?
Bookmark and Share

Offline JCWest

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »
neck\TMJ can cause this type of stuff in face.... cervical stenosis / bulging disk in neck can cause a bunch of other stuff.... i find that anxiety causes alot of facial stuff.. have you had anybody look at your neck?

And yes I think this one is more anxiety than anything, I was fine all day today and suddenly became very frustrated and flustered with something, and almost immediately the buzzing in my nose came back, now it's dying down again. Very strange, the first few days I had it, it was there almost constantly, then slowly fades away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SuperJew26

• SuperJew82
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 08:06:14 PM »
Yea I had\have the same thing you have.... and it is "funny" it started the same way..... i started a new job, was way stressed out....had tingles, sweaty palms, etc..googled ms.... started doing every test in the book and bent my neck and noticed a little buzz near my calf. You can only make it do the tingle every so often so it is not repeatable. that is the interesting thing.... if it was from smashing against an ms lesion on my neck....im pretty sure that if you did it twice..an electric shock would still be there or worse....i'm guessing that anyways.... i understand nerves don't heal that quickly at all.

My Primary doc doesn't think anything of it...

I bet if more people tried this the chin to neck thing they might find little sensations if they looked for it...

I know bulging disc and other neck problems can do similar things. I have seen about half a dozen more posters who have had the same exact thing on anxietyzone. The ones that have had MRI's show nothing. It could be some nasty thing about to spawn, or it could be absolutely nothing at all....just a out of whack neck...

I wish i was better at handling the "what if's" of health.

I don't know the deal, except I have had it on and off for over two years... I dont have any other real issues (knock on wood)
Bookmark and Share

Offline JCWest

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 08:34:28 PM »
Very interesting indeed, I know exactly what you mean in that you start looking at what seems like a microscopic level across your entire body for any weird sensations when you bend your neck down. And you're 100% right, I bet most people would notice something if they tried it. The first night I read about bending your neck down as a test for MS was the first time I ever felt anything, I tried it multiple times, felt nothing, then a few hours later BAM. I imagine then it had something to do with stretching a muscle too much in my neck or tugging on a nerve that honestly would never have been touched otherwise, how often do you bend your neck down to your chest entirely? I don't think I would ever really do it. And yes, it's very infrequent for me, often I can only feel it the first time I bend my head down then the times after that it fades or doesn't re-appear. I have a good friend who was diagnosed with MS last year and she said it is a very disturbing feeling that ran down her back, that it was very hard to describe.

Needless to say this really screwed me up over the past 6 months, anxiety like I could never believe, and I'm suffering the fallout from it now. I have repetitive stress injury in my right hand and it spasms now and again, which causes me to immediately think parkinsons, etc. Then these little numb spots, as if there couldn't be more going wrong with me, I think to myself. When in reality this neck buzzing thing for me, is very minor, I would probably never notice it unless I had read about it on the net. Often I wonder where I would be if I hadn't!

Thanks for your feedback  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline SuperJew26

• SuperJew82
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 09:01:25 PM »
Yes this describes my experience exactly. I'm an IT guy and have bad posture so maybe its something to do with that. I just don't know - I just have studied this thing long enough to know that it isn't LH's - and it has to be something either with the lumbar or neck nerves being slightly disturbed. The fact that you can only do it once seems to me like it is something pushing or pulling on the nerves.... as a damaged cord would not care how many times you aggravated it, i would think.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SuperJew26

• SuperJew82
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 10:31:31 PM »
Do you take any meds?
Bookmark and Share

Offline JCWest

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 12:58:08 AM »
No, no medication. Like you I'm on the computer for anywhere from 8-12 or 14 hours a day with very bad posture. I've actually found recently that trying to correct my posture will really hurt my back between my shoulder blades and neck, and in turn this was one of the times where bending my back has also produced the buzzing sensations, typically it's just my bending my neck that does it. There's definitely a connection between back pain and strain and this buzzing for me, a little while ago I picked up a box incorrectly and I could feel the strain in my back for a few hours, during that time every time I bent my neck down the buzzing was there, not just once and a while. After taking a really hot shower and relaxing for a bit both the pain and the buzzing went away. Do you find heat effects you, good or bad?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: