Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: HELP! Alprazolam or Hyland's Nerve Tonic?????  (Read 20641 times)

Offline kayla

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
HELP! Alprazolam or Hyland's Nerve Tonic?????
« on: August 24, 2010, 08:03:55 PM »
I am against medication. I am ok with holistic/homeopathic cures...but I've been dealing with this severe anxiety for 4 years and am ready to reclaim my life. I also practice meditation and yoga, hoping for some relief soon. What experiences has everyone had with Alprazolam, I don't want to sacrifice my beliefs...this medication is my last resort.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: HELP! Alprazolam or Hyland's Nerve Tonic?????
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 06:26:03 AM »
People would recognise this form of medication under the name Xanax. It is a half life form of benzodiazepine. ( Benzos ) Is it good? It kicks in quickly and is best used if you want to have something to take as a standby in case a panic attack occurs. Though it can be dosed out up to three times a day. The only problem I have with it, is that doctors leave patients on it far too long. It should be only used for a few months. But you will find people on it for years. People who are stuck in a rut and have to try and come back off of it or go onto something else. Which is hard to do. Because by that stage your body needs the Xanax. It can reach tolerance levels and will do after some time. Which, in a nutshell, means it will stop working. You need more to get the same effect that you got when you first began using it. Hence not meant for long term use. Klonopin would be better if you intend staying on the medication for a prolonged period of time. Though it doesn't kick in like xanax it has a more steady state and dosed out twice daily can cover the full day. It takes a bit of time to get into your system. But for a longer term option would be my drug of choice. It too is a benzodiazepine. Though I have known people who have been on klonopin for years. ( Decades ) and it still does as it done on day 1. Just so you know, all forms of benzodiazepines are hard to come off after prolonged use. You should never just stop taken them. There is a way to come off them. Slowly weaning down. They do help. I use Klonopin. I used to use Xanax. I got hooked on them. Maybe that makes my mind up about Xanax. But I was left on them for over a decade. By that time they would have being doing nothing for me at all. But my body still needed them. Medication can be about trial and error. I can only base my words on personal experience. I am no doctor. What you end up on comes down to you and your doctor. And I hope you find the right medication for you and you manage to get that life back.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Door

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »
I am against medication. I am ok with holistic/homeopathic cures...

Holistic and homeopathic drugs are medication, except they are not controlled or regulated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline furryballys

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:53:18 PM »
I'm so glad i found your post. Let me begin with telling you my story. The reason why i was convinced Hyland's Nerve Tonic (i first began taking Hyland's Calms Forte - you should look into that too) would be right for me was literally from reading the many positive reviews that are out there (on amazon.com and swansonhealth.com); also because i did my own research on Homeopathic medicines and i was convinced that this was the right path for me.  I was also afraid of having any bad side-effects from regular medicine.

Homeopathic medicines are in fact regulated by the FDA just like pharmaceutical drugs, so whoever commented that they are not controlled or regulated must be mistaken. Just in case you didn't know how homeopathic medicines work, which i'm sure you do but it's just for others who don't know, help support and stimulate your body's natural defenses so it can heal itself, rather with conventional medicines, you're just suppressing the symptoms and not really fixing anything. Homeopathic medicines seems to be the way to go.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with anti-anxiety medications. There are some down sides of Homeopathic medicines (nothing to be concerned over). Nerve Tonic is not as fast acting in the same way that a Benzo would work (i've never taken any over the counter anti-anxiety medications before - so, just about have the same feelings as you do about taking conventional medicine) but it's beneficial to the body because it helps restore your nerve function. I love how it makes me feel. It's very subtle in how it works and it feels like it's helping me restore my damaged nerves. I was raving about this product to whoever would listen and i even recommended it to a girl here on the forum who ended up buying it an using it. She says it's a great product and only uses the minimal amount.

You might find that some people say Homeopathic medicines don't work. Most people don't know how to correctly use them. First of all, it takes time for your body to become accustomed to the medicine. Second, most people don't know to take them with a clean mouth and having a 15 minute cushion between having eaten anything AND after having eaten something. So, to clarify, don't eat anything within 15 minutes before you take your medicine or wait 15 minutes afterward to increase the efficiency of Homeopathic medicines.

So, something to keep in mind in conjunction with taking things that help you feel calm (taking Benzo's or choosing to use Homeopathic medicines)  is to actually doing Psychological work on yourself or get help from a therapist. I read in a Anxiety Self-Help book that after doing things like working on your (Psychological work) self-esteem, assertiveness...etc, the dosage of Benzos was lowered or was not needed anymore. So, it really shows that if we choose to work on ourselves, we can help alleviate our own internal sufferings or at least get them to a manageable and healthy level. Most doctors won't tell you this because it's easier to write a prescription than explain all these things.
Bookmark and Share
"Looking forward hopefully with confidence is tremendous help. It draws you past the yesterdays, past today, past the tomorrows until you find recovery." - Dr. Claire Weekes

Offline dreamland

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »
I just posted something earlier on a different thread regarding Xanax and its habit forming potential, and the bottom line is that if you treat benzos with respect and only resort to using them on an "as need" basis then you have nothing to worry about. In other words, if you're going through a stressful period in your life and need a couple of days to relax and catch up on some sleep then by all means, take a couple of Xanax pills for three days as opposed to hemming and hawing whether or not you're going to be subjugated to a lifetime of withdrawal symptoms. On the other hand, if you have an addictive personality and are prone to substance abuse then stay away from benzodiazepines if possible, because if you abuse them (three months +) your brain will end up down-regulating its own GABA production in time and you can end up with a host of complications (convulsions, hypertension, chronic insomnia, etc) upon cessation of taking benzodiazepines.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: