Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: 3:00 AM WAKE UP EVERY NIGHT  (Read 3724 times)

Offline Sail-A-Wai

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
3:00 AM WAKE UP EVERY NIGHT
« on: August 17, 2010, 09:42:10 AM »
Every night without fail I wake up between 2:00 and 3:00 am and the anxiety symptoms start to build. From the start they are so severe I can not get back to sleep. Then over the next 3 or 4 hours they greatly increase so by morning I am ready to run  screaming down the street. Then the daily battle begins......

Does anyone else have these 3:00 am wakings. It does not matter what time I go to bed it is always the same wake-up time.

James
Bookmark and Share

Offline eduk8or

• Rec's: 11
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: 3:00 AM WAKE UP EVERY NIGHT
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 09:49:44 AM »
I have experienced this when my anxiety was really high.  Every night without fail I would wake up between 3-4am and since I have to get up for work at 5:30am, this was not a great way to start my day.  What I started doing was instead of letting the anxiety continue to increase and get out of hand, I would do a meditation technique where you focus on your breathing,  On every in breath, you say "in" in your head and on every out breath, you say "out" in your head.  Your mind will wander, because that is what it wants to do, but as soon as you notice that you aren't focusing on your breathing, you bring your mind back to your breath and focus on the in/out.  It usually worked to calm my mind and sometimes I'd even fall back to sleep.  I haven't been waking up on a regular basis lately, so maybe it worked??  Worth a try at least.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sail-A-Wai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:05:19 AM »
I do hours of breathing but I get severe burning and agitation ( sometimes weird anxiety thoughts) that keep me awake)

James
Bookmark and Share

Offline xenos89

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:08:07 AM »
I wake ep every nigh not long at 2am. It's so weird. But unlike you I don't really get anxiety then. My anxiety peaks in the late afternoon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eduk8or

• Rec's: 11
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:14:28 PM »
Do you have any realaxtion CDs you can listen to?  There are some really good ones that do progressive muscle relaxation or meditation or relaxation imagery.  It forces your brain to listen and focus on what they are saying.  If you need suggestions ofr titles, let me know.  : )
Bookmark and Share

Offline joegilbert

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 07:59:50 PM »
Every night without fail I wake up between 2:00 and 3:00 am and the anxiety symptoms start to build. From the start they are so severe I can not get back to sleep. Then over the next 3 or 4 hours they greatly increase so by morning I am ready to run  screaming down the street. Then the daily battle begins......

Does anyone else have these 3:00 am wakings. It does not matter what time I go to bed it is always the same wake-up time.

James

Didn't you do a med change recently? That could contribute to this too. I also struggle with waking up too early. I'm usually in bed by 9am and am up by 4am. Some days 3am. If I'm really anxious, I will wake up even earlier.

I'm trying to wean down and off my Paxil. I stayed at my current dose 20mg for a month before dropping down to 17.5mg's. The first night at this new dose, I woke up at 1am, wide awake. I did it again the next night. I went back up to 20mg to hopefully stabilise and start sleeping again. I'll obviously taper down at a much small rate.

Anyway, yes, when your anxious, people tend to struggle to fall asleep but more often, wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to fall back to sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mindful1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 08:23:22 PM »
When I wake up in the night I don't allow myself to look at the clock first of all, then I imagine something I really like (a walk on the beach, whatever) and l usually fall back to sleep quickly.  Once you look at the clock your wheels start moving which brings on the anxious thoughts..and bam you are suffering and going back to sleep is a no deal.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: