Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What are the chances my neck pain is an artery problem??  (Read 15224 times)

Offline mom2boys

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
What are the chances my neck pain is an artery problem??
« on: August 12, 2010, 09:42:01 AM »
My recurrant upper FRONT neck pain has been going on for years. Now it seems to go together with pain in the back of my neck mostly left side. I get an aching feeling on the left upper neck I guess where their could by lymph node or the caratid artery. When I mention neck pain to my Dr. he's always focussing on my anxiety and talking about meds. He does feel the area. I don't know if I made it clear enough the pain I have in the front. He thinks it's all tension. I just don't really hear much about tension being down the front of the neck. I know it's possible I am clenching my jaw because I am always tense and anxious. But why would it be on only one side and not on both if I'm clenching my jaw??
 It was easy for me to accept the pain in the back of my neck is tension but with it mostly being on one side and the upper neck pain also makes me think it's a tumor, artery problem, even heart problem. I also get racing heart and chest pains. Also been told was anxiety...
Would the Dr. be able to hear an artery problem when he listens to my heart? Or feel something when he feels neck. lymph nodes etc? What about chest x-rays? Does the neck area show up in those? I have one every year sometimes every 2 years.
I really need to get a grip on my physical symptoms. They always come back. The SAME ones. Headaches, neck pains, tingling, random pains all over, chest pains, racing heart, etc etc.
I know a lot of you have seen cardiologists. Do you have ANY advice on this?? My physiccal is Aug. 23rd. I am already dreading it. I'm sure this will be the time something shows up... I have mentioned my pain to my Dr. I just think he is always focused on my anxiety. If my pains would go away I wouldn't be anxious. If my anxiety would go away I wouldn't be depressed :( I literally sat at my kids soccer practice yesterday clenching my chair feeling shooting pain from my stomach to chest to neck. I wish I could just be a normal Mom who isn't fearful she's about to drop dead  in front of every one..... Or get diagnosed with some terminal disease...
Off to the store with my kids. I'm sure I'll start to panic while I'm there :(
Bookmark and Share
Hyperchondria(health anxiety), panic disorder,social anxiety, GAD, recently insomnia
Meds tried Lexapro,(twice) Trazodone, Cymbalta, Buspar,xanax, zoloft, back on zoloft for a 2nd time

Offline teeps

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What are the chances my neck pain is an artery problem??
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:09:40 AM »
with the jaw clenching i clench my left side more then my right , why who knows i just do. and its obvious on my full face xray as to which side the jaw joint is more worn. so it can be the case. i get tension on the left side of neck and down the front of my neck and under my chin. pretty sure this is whats causing my numb lips and chin now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mom2boys

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:22:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply :)
Do you take any meds for the pain? This is my next step. Advil does not work for my headaches, neck pain etc. I also take xanax "as needed: which does help to relax me, which in turn does help the pain. But it always comes back. I suppose if something more horrible is ruled out I need to focus on getting rid of my pain!! Muscle relaxers maybe?? I know they probably can't be taken w/xanax. I would be scared I'd have a panic attack and not be able to take anything for it...
Bookmark and Share
Hyperchondria(health anxiety), panic disorder,social anxiety, GAD, recently insomnia
Meds tried Lexapro,(twice) Trazodone, Cymbalta, Buspar,xanax, zoloft, back on zoloft for a 2nd time

Offline AnxiousMatt

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:50:09 AM »
sternocleidomastoid trigger points...google it...the one time I will tell someone to google something...It is a muscle that runs along the front of your neck that causes a myriad of problems, specially pain in the jaws and neck...feel better. You can usually feel alot better after massaging this muscle a couple of times everyday for a few weeks until you get alot of the knots out.

The SCM for short, is involved in a lot of movements of your head and neck, and also assists in breathing as well. This is why alot of time people with chronic anxiety and tension, constantly overwork these muscles because of thier "chest breathing and over breathing", which works the SCM quite hard.
Bookmark and Share
Check out my blog! It might help you!

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?article=18998.0

Offline teeps

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 09:03:44 AM »
thanks matt i'm going to look that up to  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline angelicmegan

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 09:34:30 AM »
You know, I worry about this a lot too. I get a lot of frontal neck pain (like a deep ache), also pain around my jaw and underneath my chin. I agree with Matt that this is probably a sternocleidomastoid issue. It probably comes from tension, and I think that this is a common area where people tend to carry anxiety. I have not found anything that works, specifically yet, so let us know if you do!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mom2boys

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 09:44:22 AM »
I'm having left sided chest pain. Scared to death...Waiting on hold for my Drs office. Just the thought of driving myself and 3 kids to the Dr. makes me feel like I could pass out. I was seriously going to call the squad. I'm waiting to see if my xanax is going to help. But I can't keep taking xanax every day to get through life. I will be addicted, go through withrawl and be worse off then when I started!!!!!! :traurig001: 
Bookmark and Share

Offline grateful

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »
Hey there-
Just wanted to let you know that I was diagnosed with an artery dissection at the beginning of april. This is NOT what you have. The symptoms are pain in the neck and headaches but you are also very dizzy and vision gos weird like I was seeing stars. Also this wouldn't hang around for 2 years. The great thing about our bodies is they heal themselves and arteries almost always do within 6 months. When I say Headache it is the worst pain you have ever had comparable to childbirth. yours sounds like tension to me. Hope you feel better.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: