Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Thumb Twitching  (Read 23118 times)

Offline Eva62

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
Thumb Twitching
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:41:31 AM »
What causes thumb twitching? My left thumb has been twitching on and off for a day or so. I know if I google it would give me ALS and I don't want to do this. Let me tell you that my life is in shambles right now. I've been laid off for almost two years and my husband was just downsized. My daughter also just left for her first year at college.

Can stress and anxiety cause this? My hand also has fallen asleep when I lay down. Please advise, my life cannot afford any unwarranted stress and anxiety right now.

Eva
Bookmark and Share

Offline Marathoner

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Thumb Twitching
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:53:39 AM »
Anxiety absolutely causes twitching.  Last year I had an eye twitch that lasted over a month.  I've had a variety of similar twitches throughout my body over the years. 

I visited the doctor for ALS years ago after the father of a close friend was diagnosed.  He did a variety of reflex and strength tests during my appointment, said I was fine, and sent me home.  Unless you have obvious weakness in a limb I wouldn't worry about anything neurological. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline angelicmegan

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:15:26 AM »
I have been twitching, all over my body, for almost three years now. I went through exactly what you are going through (including the numb hands), with the ALS and MS scares and such. Please do not google twitching, as you will get these awful search results!

Twtitching can absolutely be caused by anxiety, but I also find mine flares up when I get sick or stressed out or when I am fighting a virus. I think it is just a defensive type of response that some people's bodies have. If you have no weakness or anything like that PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't worry that this is something serious. It is 99.99% likely not.

Do you have any back issues? Sometimes a buldging disk can cause twitching and numbness as sometimes they can pinch nerves.

I think you are gonna be okay  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 195
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 12:21:01 PM »
anxiety/stress  causes twitching.

Hell sometimes I read a post here that I may have to moderate to a degree and I'll notice a twitch or two.  I've always been a big twitcher.  It doesn't bother me in the least cuz I know the reason why.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Tags: