Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: afraid to get my drivers license  (Read 2859 times)

Offline surfmonkey

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
afraid to get my drivers license
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:51:09 PM »
Hey guys so this is my story today. Due to my agoraphobia and my social anxiety I have not gotten my drivers license! I'm 20 years old and I think its time. A few months ago I tried. I was so scared. I was shaking uncontrollably. The man "instructing" me was so mean. He was so self critical. He even went out of his way to tell my husband to teach me how to drive. He then in turn told his coworkers that I was crying because I was upset with him. I was crying because he was freakin mean!! He was being a d*ck! He embarrassed me in front of everyone. You guys I know how to drive! (Although I'm afraid of switching lanes) when I drive with my husband he says that I drive perfectly. I know exactly what to do. I failed because being in the car with a stranger really scared me. Then to top it off he was self critical to me the entire time. I'm afraid to try again because if I fail I I'm afraid every mean thing that person said to me was true. I have no self esteem and I absorb negatively like a sponge. I'm just so afraid to take that test again. What if I hit someone?!?!I'm afraid ill be so distracted by what that man said that I can't concentrate. It really traumatized me. I'm afraid to now take a chance because of what someone said. I have my learners permit but I do not drive at all because that person made me feel so badly about myself.

What can I do? Its killing me! I should have done this years ago. I hate driving but I need this for my self esteem in so many ways. Any, and I mean any advice would be amazing! Thanks guys!
Bookmark and Share

Offline I_miss_Lebron

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: afraid to get my drivers license
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 12:22:02 AM »
Hey surfmonkey, wow that's a doozy of dilemma. It's a shame your instructor is so discouraging. Their job is difficult, as it's up to them to weed out the drivers who aren't ready to have their license yet. But they should never aim to make a fool out of someone. How discouraging. It should be their responsibility to help you, also. What good would ridiculing someone do?
I know it's easier said than done, but just try and not let him get to you. Driving can be very mental. If you're constantly worried and panicking, it'll be hard to truly focus and concentrate. My advice is to continue practicing with your husband. Perhaps more experience out on the open road will help you feel more comfortable. Is there anyone else that can take you out driving - a friend or parent? It might help to get another perspective from them and maybe they'll be able to give you some tips, too. Don't let this guy get to you. Nobody is going to believe you're a good driver until you do!  :happy0151:

Driving, like everything else, will get better with practice, practice, practice. When I got my license at age 16, I also had trouble switching lanes. There were countless times I'd almost run someone off the road trying to merge over. It drove my dad crazy! (pun intended)
I think the secret to merging lanes is awareness. You need to know what's around you at all times. Let's say you're driving down the interstate in the far left lane, and you know that in two miles, you'll need to exit from the right lane. You need to be consciously thinking about merging and paying attention to who's all around you. The worst thing you can do is wait until the last minute to try and merge. It's just one of those things you need to focus on and give yourself extra time to do. Next time you're out with your husband practicing, try that method. Always be checking your mirrors, and if you see cars coming up on your behind, just monitor them. Always know where they are so you'll be ready to act accordingly. You can be the best driver in the world, but you still need to protect yourself from the other guy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline surfmonkey

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 01:01:44 AM »
Hey there :) thanks for the reply. It helps me to not feel so alone! The thing about this instructor is that until I got I took that test I had no idea who he was! He just literally started being mean to me. I guess maybe he doesn't have much self esteem and picking on helpless girls is his passion. I am confident I am a good driver and for me to say that means I must be. He just made me more nervous. Ill never see him again but its the fact that he bruised my ego. When I want to switch lanes I def pay complete attention. I'm always paying attention but with my anxiety I'm afraid that they are to close to me when maybe they aren't?
Bookmark and Share

Offline h0tb0x

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:02:29 PM »
Dear surfmonkey please tell me you succeeded! I just turned 20 and have yet to even attempt to take my drivers test simply because I'm afraid I will start crying as soon as I walk in and simply turn around and leave. I don't like talking to strangers, especially being evaluated by them! Driving is already scary enough and now I'm going to be judged on it! Your success would maybe give me a little more hope.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: