Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Feeling very strange AFTER eating. Please help!!!!  (Read 37000 times)

Offline OCDP

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Feeling very strange AFTER eating. Please help!!!!
« on: August 06, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »
This is never ending with me, I am a total mess once again.

A little background for those who haven't seen my many posts. I have been fearing diabetes now for almost three weeks. I had blood tests last week to test, my doctor tested only random glucose and the hemoglobin AC1 or A1C I forget. All came back normal I guess as I did not recieve a call (I actually called the office and the doc said things are fine)

I have not been accepting the results very well as today is really bad.. but I feel like I have good reason.

I went for lunch at 12:45 or so and finished eating by 1:35. I had two pieces of bread with bruchetta and then a caesar salad with grilled chicken, and only water to drink. In the morning I had not even 1/4 of a cup of coffee (haven't had coffee in months, super tired today) and sadly I ate a cookie in the morning, something I haven't done in a long time, I regret it.

So I finish eating my lunch and a few times in the past few weeks I have felt off after eating and assumed it was diabetes related, or blood sugar related. But it's not 3:15 here and after I ate i started feeling like I was trembling but I really wasn't, it just really felt that way in my hands and body, completely unnerving. Since then I have been sweating, feeling light headed, still have my blurry visio and just feel totally off. I think I sweat out a decent amount (especially where the calves connect with the thigh, my jeans are damp) and I can't tell if this is something serious or just anxiety. Right now I feel anxious and weak, still having the trembling feeling, sweating is coming in flashes. All of this is hypoglycemia related. Of course I freaking googled and found reactive hypoglycemia and now I am convinced this is what is happening. Since my symptoms could be linked to both hypoglycemia and anxiety I am in a mind battle.

Can anyone offer any input? I am trying SO hard to shake off my obsession with diabetes but these things are making it so hard. I want to go to the ER almost to get myself checked out and fixed but fear they will just say it's anxiety, especially after having blood tests last Thursday. I had blood work done three times in less than a year and obviously they all came back fine.

So what the hell is happening to me? Why do I feel this way after eating?? Is it just anxiety or does this sound like a blood sugar thing? This is the worst it's happened since the fear started, before it was much more mild. It's really starting to bother me, I feel awful.

Please help!

Bookmark and Share

Offline dizziegirl3

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feeling very strange AFTER eating. Please help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 05:42:25 PM »
same thing was happening to me. I went to the dr to get my blood checked and everything came back fine. I too thought I had diabetes.

It still happens to me and don't know why, I try to just attribute it to anxiety and try to ignore it!
Bookmark and Share
<3 Hugz Dizz

Offline OCDP

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 06:04:06 PM »
I don't get it, I really don't. It really shows how much anxiety is still left in me even after the blood tests.

Another thing that scares the crap out of me is that right now (4:00) I am getting slight hunger pangs... Already?? I just ate at 1:35 and I left the restaraunt with a full belly. Like I said I had bruchetta and a chicken caesar salad, I shouldn't be feeling like this. If I were offered food however I don't think I'd be hungry to eat. I am thinking out loud here.... but I can't understand these symptoms. The hunger pangs are annoying as I just ate!!!

I'm feeling slightly better since my post, but I had been feeling crappy for a long time before posting so I don't know if it's just subsiding now or what, anxiety or whatever it may be. The last thing that I am fearful of is that I am pre-diabetic because all my stupid googling tells me that a random glucose test won't show pre-diabetes, only a fasting will, and my doctor did not send me for a fasting which is kind of making me furious. It would have just ruled out another thing for me to worry about you know? So I get left with doubt, and it's frustrating.

I so want to be better again, I'm really at my wits end with all of this stuff, it's becoming unbearable. For the record I am in the process of finding a phsycologist and I hope things get worked out soon because I am in desperate need of help. Why can't I accept that I'm okay and move along??

Sorry for sounding like a broken record guys.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline gridder

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:22:27 PM »
My husband is super-fit, no diabetes, and his blood sugar swings around a bit. Nothing diagnosable, but he gets all clammy (and crabby) when he needs to eat.

I find that my blood sugar swings around more when I eat a lot of carbs. Did you say you had bread and bruschetta? If you think you are sensitive to carbs, maybe try laying off of them a bit. That being said, man -- you beat yourself up for a cookie! Are you in a high-risk group for diabetes? (Like, you have been diagnosed as prediabetic? You are obese? You don't exercise? Everyone in your family is diabetic?) The normal scenario for being diagnosed with diabetes is that there are warning signs (if you have regular check ups). Most people's blood sugar climbs over time . . .Most are not struck down with diabetes out of the blue (unless you are a kid and get Type 1).

I'd also encourage you to exercise. It helps regulate blood sugar and makes you less anxious!
Bookmark and Share

Offline OCDP

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »
Sorry for the delay, I tried keeping away from the internet this weekend.

Gridder: It was a big cookie! Not just a little oreo or whatever, it was a big one but yeah... you'd think THAT would have made me feel crappy too. I haven't been diagnosed as pre-diabetic but that's what I feel like is happening. I guess you could call me obese, I am now 217lbs at 5"8. I try to exercise 4 days a week but haven't exercised for over a week now, before then I hadn't in a while. So no, I don't excerise. And no one in either side of my family has diabetes, but I feel like I've got it! I asked my doc last time about pre-diabetes and he said I wasn't in the range, I wish I would have got numbers. I have had 3 sets of blood tests in a year and I am fairly certain he checked my blood sugars on the other two tests (one was a physical) so hopefuilly that would have shown a trend.

I'm really not sure what the hell is happening to me anymore. I sit here at work thinking constantly about having diabetes and then come back to the realization that this all started from watching an episode of Oprah about diabetes. It's the craziest thing how this show triggered this whole anxiety respone and it hasn't left me, but has gotten so bad that I am under the impression every minute of every day that I have diabetes, even AFTER seeing my doctor AND having blood tests.

You'd think with that in mind I would be able to relax, but I can't. Last night we had pizza for dinner and the whole time I am thinking "here come the carbs, get ready to feel like crap" so I have it already built into my head that the food will cause some sort of symptoms after I eat. Sure enough, 15 minutes after eating I feel super tired like I could just go right to sleep. Instantly I am back to feeling like I am full fledged diabetic, I am tired and *feel* trembly, but I am not actually trembling or shaking it just feels like it (and if I am, it's very minor, probably normal little twitches and shakes one gets)

So now I have a food phobia, and I expect every time I eat that this will happen. I am hesitant to go back to my doctor considering he ordered blood tests and all came back fine apparantley. I still worry as to why he didn't do a fasting glucose though. I didn't eat anything the day of my blood tests and he did a random glucose, so if I hadn't eaten perhaps it wasn't showing an accurate reading, maybe it's higher than I know.

I am at a loss here, my mind and body is so beyond exhausted from anxiety that I am not sure how much more I can suffer through. People have suggested getting a glucose meter, but then many say I shouldn't given my anxiety. Kind of like my high BP, some say get a cuff, while others completely advise against it as it will only make matters worse. I don't know what to do.

I'm afraid to eat, and it's silly. Things aren't getting better like they should have, they keep getting worse and worse (AFTER blood tests!!) I am pretty sure I have now tied carbs to anxiety, or bread to anxiety , etc..

I'll be seeing my doctor sometime at the end of this month for a prescription re-fill, I wonder if I should just hold out until then. Blah! Happy Monday!!!  ::)

Bookmark and Share

Offline sweetiepie123

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »
Hello, I'm 15 and the exact same thing you are describing are ALL happening to me! EVERYTHING you described in this post and my thoughts and feelings and my fear od diabetes! I don't know if you are still on this sight or if you found out the cause of this but if you are reading this then I would really appreciate some help because I am absolutely petrified even though all my blood tests came back fine! I too have been refusing to eat because I am scared! :'(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nima2012

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »
Hi

Yes, I also went through the same problems you guys seem to be going through. I don't want to claim you have exactly what I had
and that I know what your issues are, but after reading your stories I just had to register and share my story.

To make a long story short, Anxiety feelings after eating , sometimes right after, sometimes hours and sometimes the next day after
you eat certain food is related to a condition called leaky gut which I had.  I was also sensitive to Gluten, I don't want to say I had severe
reaction to it as some do, but specially after eating gluten I would get anxiety attacks.  The holes made in your guts by the condition will
cause other food moluclues to enter your blood stream and cause your immune system to attack your body, causing all sorts of weird
symptoms, for different people it's different. for me i also had burning sensation in my left leg. Doctors may not be familiar with this problem
unless you go see someone who deals with leaky gut issues.  A person affected by leaky gut will not have issues eating
meat and vegtables, so the least you can do for yourself is to do what I say and see if you are having these issues because of this condition,
because if you are then you are the only person who can help yourself the most.  Please do the following for 1 month ( at least 2 weeks ) and see if it helps you.

1. Stop eating Gluten, stay away from it all together ( come on it's only for 2 weeks minimum )
2. No Junk food, don't eat out. shop and prepare your own food at home for 1 month
2. Just eat Vegtables and Meat, red meat or white, fish is best.

Tough diet for some but do yourself this favor and go through this diet. if you feel better, then there you go. you need to
continue this diet until you are healed. Read about gluten sensitivity and leaky gut and you will be able to help yourself and heal yourself.

I really hope i can make a difference for someone out there , take care and good luck

Nima
Bookmark and Share

Offline holograf00

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 01:48:49 AM »
i am a 46yo male, i have similar symptoms: nervous anxious feeling in the two hours after eating, then subsides and i feel normal until the next meal. i thought for sure it was diabetes because carbohydrate foods seemed to make it more noticeable, but the blood tests don't indicate diabetes. it's been over 3 months now and i don't know what it is. i've been living on a low carb diet to limit symptoms, but it doesn't wipe them out.

this theory of leaky gut / gluten intolerance is interesting, i'll pursue that further. i also have recurrent diarrhea and occasional hot flashes. if anyone that posted here before sees this, can you please post to give an update of your situation? did you find out for sure what it was? is it better now? how did you treat it? thanks for any help from anyone. - holograf00@*****
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 03:38:59 PM »
i know this is an old post but i just came across it. Same EXACT thing happens to me!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline holograf00

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 08:02:28 AM »
livelaughlove, how old are you and can you please describe your symptoms? have you found anything out about it? what did your dr say? my dr said i need to go for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. any info is greatly appreciated. thanks... holograf00-*****
Bookmark and Share

Offline Megandoc

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 08:26:12 AM »
Hi folks. :action-smiley-065:
 I'm a newbie to this site and came across it after googling my symptoms which seem to be similar to most of the members above. I am so pleased to find that I am not the only one suffering in this way. For a few years now I've noticed that after I eat anything with even a moderate amount of sugar or high-carb foods, I feel sleepy and my head sort of buzzes. It was so bad that at one point I was falling asleep at work. when I reported this to my doctor, he did the fasting blood glucose test, results were normal. He has carried out these tests several times over the last few years.

My husband has Type 2 diabetes, and he was recently advised by his clinical dietician to change over to a high protein, low-carb diet with a reasonable amount of fat content for energy. To make things simpler for myself, I also changed over to the same diet. The results have been miraculous. No more sleepiness, bags more energy and weight-loss into the bargain! Last night I made the mistake of having some Ben & Jerry's Baked Alaska ice-cream - a moderate portion (2 small scoops) without checking the ingredients list. My symptoms have returned with a vengeance. 12 hours after eating the ice-cream, I still want to close my eyes and sleep. this is after a full 8 hours sleep overnight. My head is still buzzing. When I got up, I checked the ingredients list. Sugar and glucose syrup are the 2 top ingredients after cream. I have tried to check exactly how much sugar and glucose syrup is in the ice-cream but with no luck. Here in the UK, manufacturers have to list exactly how much sugars are in their food products.

Needless to say, I am going back on my diet. Bacon & eggs here I come!

Hope this helps some people. Mgt
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cheesus

• Rec's: 34
  • Ha-Hum
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 03:06:36 PM »
Hi folks. :action-smiley-065:
 I'm a newbie to this site and came across it after googling my symptoms which seem to be similar to most of the members above. I am so pleased to find that I am not the only one suffering in this way. For a few years now I've noticed that after I eat anything with even a moderate amount of sugar or high-carb foods, I feel sleepy and my head sort of buzzes. It was so bad that at one point I was falling asleep at work. when I reported this to my doctor, he did the fasting blood glucose test, results were normal. He has carried out these tests several times over the last few years.

My husband has Type 2 diabetes, and he was recently advised by his clinical dietician to change over to a high protein, low-carb diet with a reasonable amount of fat content for energy. To make things simpler for myself, I also changed over to the same diet. The results have been miraculous. No more sleepiness, bags more energy and weight-loss into the bargain! Last night I made the mistake of having some Ben & Jerry's Baked Alaska ice-cream - a moderate portion (2 small scoops) without checking the ingredients list. My symptoms have returned with a vengeance. 12 hours after eating the ice-cream, I still want to close my eyes and sleep. this is after a full 8 hours sleep overnight. My head is still buzzing. When I got up, I checked the ingredients list. Sugar and glucose syrup are the 2 top ingredients after cream. I have tried to check exactly how much sugar and glucose syrup is in the ice-cream but with no luck. Here in the UK, manufacturers have to list exactly how much sugars are in their food products.

Needless to say, I am going back on my diet. Bacon & eggs here I come!

Hope this helps some people. Mgt

Thanks for sharing this.

I'd just like to add that sugar is a toxic food. We need glucose in the body but that's why we produce insulin, to create glucose out of the things we eat. A low GI diet with a good amount of protein, fats and veg is absolutely a must to attain excellent health. Sugar really messes with the body. We are not built to consume refined sugar. It messes with our blood, feeds unhealthy pathogens in the body, and is the root of the global obesity pandemic. High fructose corn syrup in particular is the devil incarnate.

I started on a diet (a low GI candida diet that allows carbs such as quinoa and brown rice, to be precise) about 2 to 3 months ago, and at my last blood test my doctor commented that my blood tests were not just normal, they were perfect. This includes kidney function, liver function, blood count and blood sugar. I cannot stress enough how much food impacts on all areas of health.

PS - to those people experiencing similar problems to the OP. You might have a gluten sensitivity. Gluten is not a good food to consume for anyone. Try cutting it out for a few weeks and lay off the sugary foods and see what happens.
Bookmark and Share
You can't calm the waves, but you can learn to surf!

Basis of Recovery
Intrusive Thoughts
A Philosophy of Anxiety

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 05:46:40 AM »
Hi! I am 34 years old. I had an EGD last april which was negative for H pylori (helicobacter pylori is a common bacterial infection about 2/3 of the world has... if you have it, you take antibiotics to get rid of it). My duodenum (which is the first part of small intestine) was irregular. On endoscopy, the entire duodenum had a granular appearance. A biopsy was taken, which showed duodenal lymphocytosis, especially at villous tips, and mild crypt hyperplasia. That can be indicative of celiac disease, NSAID usage, systemic autoimmune disorder, cystic fibrosis, or infection, or crohn's disease. Well i was negative for any type of infection, and I don't use NSAIDs. So then i had genotype testing to rule out celiac disease, and I was negative for the 2 genes which celiac people carry, which is DQ2 and DQ8 so the likelihood of me having celiac is like a 1% chance. So then i had a colonoscopy which was normal. 2 biopsies were taken to rule out microscopic colitis and they were negative. Now, the jejunum and ileum were the only 2 parts of my GI tract not gotten to. The jejunum is never reached through colonscopy or EGD. So then I had a CT abd and pelvis, and that was completely normal. So they say i probably just have diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome or unknown food sensitivity (not allergy... just an intolerance to something). I have done allergy testing and that was negative. I have done elimination dieting, such as Gluten-free, Paleo, and FODMAP diet. I seem to do best by avoiding gluten, preservatives, additives, and also by avoiding insoluble fiber. Wheat makes my stomach hurt. If i eat any type of vegetables, particularly lettuce, I will have loose yellow stool with undigested food particles in it. Now, it is normal to have undigested vegetables in stool, but i have excessive amounts. So the last test i had done, which i should get results today or tomorrow, is the fecal lactoferrin and fecal elastase. The lactoferrin would rule out inflammatory bowel disease, which i doubt i have. The elastase is to rule out exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, meaning my pancreas does not produce enough enzymes to break down food particles, like fats, proteins, and starches. The reason why they are testing that, is because i had high pancreatic levels in my first stool culture which could be indicative of pancreatic insufficiency, but it could just be negative, because the day before i dropped off my test i got really sick, that stool culture came back positive for salmonella and norovirus... double whammy! So i had to do another stool culture. But then I was reading about leaky gut syndrome. I do have enlarged crypts, in other words, so yes, in my opinion, that does mean increased intestinal permeability meaning food and toxins that should not leak through will leak through into my bloodstream and cause a toxic like reaction. Now, I think the leaky gut thing is more thought to be a holistic type thing, not really accepted as of yet in mainstream medicine. But once you repair the leaky gut then you can go back to normal diet. These are my symptoms: for a while i was getting bouts of diarrhea up to about 10 times a day maybe like once a month. At one point for about a month i was passing a lot of mucus in stool, or sometimes i would just poop out mucus and no stool. Sometimes i get a mild pain in my left upper quadrant. When i eat gluten or a lot of sugar, i get roaming joint pains in my ribs, knees, and hips. I will get a headache. My eyes will feel blurry and itchy. Sometimes i might have an ocular migraine. My thinking gets messed up, which causes me to have increased anxiety type feelings. I can't focus. I feel like my mouth doesn't work right. Right now I am doing gluten free again and i do feel better. I am not allergic to gluten or wheat, and i do not have celiac, but i do think when i eat it, it effects me because it leaks through my leaky gut and causes an inflammatory response of some kind that effects my brain-gut connection. I am a big believer in that. When i am gluten-free and low carb/low sugar i do not have diarrhea. But vegetables cause me to have yellow stool, still. Also, when i am gluten free i do not have anxiety and weird feelings as stated above. I read to cure leaky gut, you need to remain gluten-free, dairy-free, and no NSAIDS. Also, a supplement called glutamine will help, which i just ordered, but have not taken it yet. I do not drink at all. I do smoke. My labs are always normal (CBC, CMP, LFTS and thyroid). The only thing abnormal was my redblood cell morphology, which shows 1+ (meaning 25%) poikilocytosis and ovalocytosis, which means irregular shaped cells. My atypical lymph was abnormal too at 5, but that could be because i think i had a viral flu-type illness when i had that checked, which was 2 months before the salmonella and norovirus infection. My ANA was negative. My rheumatoid factor was elevated but not enough to be considered rheum arthritis and i dont have any nodules or pains in little joints so that meant no RA. So basically i have had tons of testing, and Im done with testing, and through my own elimination dieting, i have come up with that i have leaky gut and need to avoid gluten and stay on low fat diet which seems to work really well for me. I will post my findings of the pancreas thing if i get them back today.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 05:55:30 AM »
By the way, with the pancreatic thing, all you would do for that would be to stay on low-fat diet and you can take enzymes such as pancrelipase or creon i believe before you eat, kind of like taking lactaid for people that have lactose intolerance. Oh, and i do not have diabetes. My blood sugars are always in the 70s, whether fasting or 2 hours after eating. But once i get this elastase test back, i am totally done with testing. And again, they are only testing that becuase my stool culture was indicative of having a lot of undigested food fibers and levels so that is why they said they wanted to test that to rule it out, but my pancreas on my CT was normal and not replaced by fat or anything, so I am not concerned about that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline holograf00

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
thanks livelaughlove for taking the time to give your story. it's very helpful.

i still have my symptoms of fatigue after eating, but now i also have a low grade fever thing going on all the time. i had gone back to my high carb diet (lot of gluten), but now i think it will do my zero carb diet again to see if that improves things because i was doing better when i was on that. it might be gluten or leaky gut as you mentioned. hoping it's something i can work with like that rather than something more serious. my bloodwork was all normal and colonoscopy and egd were pretty much normal too.

thanks again,

mark
Bookmark and Share