Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scabs INSIDE nose that won't heal could be cancerous?  (Read 341563 times)

Offline retro

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scabs INSIDE nose that won't heal could be cancerous?
« on: June 17, 2010, 07:28:43 PM »
Hey all,

I've had some nasty scabs inside of my nose that started in April, and it's been two months and no healing whatsoever.  The scabs are in both nostrils, on the skin.  I tried neosporin for a couple of nights, but was told it was not a good idea to put that inside of my nose.  I can't help but get the scabs out every morning with a tissue because it's embarrassing if anyone were to notice the um, you know, boogs.  Does anyone have any suggestions on this, or think that it is possible it could be basal cell or some other kind of skin cancer? 

thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scabs INSIDE nose that won't heal could be cancerous?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 07:32:31 PM »
oh I had one of those in my right nostril in Jan or Feb I don't recall.  I kept pulling the scab too.  This is what kept it from healing.  But if I didn't it, pulled when I sniffed or whatever.  So what I did was put a bit of vaseline in there.  That kept the scab moist and so it didn't pull or anything.  After I did that, it healed in a couple of days.  Why not give that a try? 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline bike21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »
I wouldn't sweat it.  I had something similar this past winter/spring (probably from my nose being dried out or something like that) and I actually had my dermatologist check it out when I went for my annual check up.  He wrote me a prescription for an ointment that is like neosporin on steroids.  I ended up not filling it and just using neosporin a couple of times a day and after about 3-5 days it cleared up.  I spray some saline up into my nose occasionally to keep things moisturized.  I am sure things will clear up if you give it some time and don't irritate the area.  Hang in there...
Bookmark and Share

Offline retro

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 11:56:34 PM »
Thanks..trying vaseline out for a coupla days.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lbrickme

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 12:10:39 AM »
I had this same problem.  I've had it a few times in my life.  The most recent time was this winter.  The sores were on the inside of my nose along the center (the part between the two nostrils) and could be painful at times.  I used Bacitracin and eventually it went away. 

By the way I mentioned it to a friend of mine and she says she has this problem recurrently.  She had seen a doctor about it who said it was recurrent staph infection.  This is actually very common as staphylococcus resides in lots of people's noses.  She said her doctor gave her a cream to use and she uses it when it gets uncomfortable.

Finally, when I had this problem this winter I googled and surprisingly found nothing ominous.  I was afraid it would say cancer but I never did find anything that said that - all I found was sites that said it was probably staph and others that said impetigo (which I think is caused by staph).  They indicated that there is a prescription cream that can be used called bactroban.  See the link here.  It's pretty much the same info I found everywhere.  Good luck and don't worry that it's something serious - it's not!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jethro

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:33:50 PM »
So glad I found this post.  Google led me to it.  I've had a nostril scab it seems like for weeks. I've never had anything like it in my life, as far as I remember, and had the same worry about it retro did.    I'm so relieved it was unfounded.  I've started the Neosporin today.  Thanks everybody!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mastermind

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:05:46 AM »
I am dealing with a very similar scenario right now myself.  I have had sores in both nostrils for around 2 months now.  I thought at first it was sinus/allergy related and was my nose just dried out.  I cannot stand the discomfort once they start scabbing over, so I moisten the outside of my nose with warm water to loosen the scabbing on the inside.  I then massage the outside of my nose with my fingers to further loosen the scabbing.  I then blow my nose very hard to "blow out" the scabs!!!  YUCK!!!!  It is gross, but I cannot stand it!!  The relief lasts for like 20 minutes until the scabbing starts to form again!!  I'm headed to the doctor today since I have read that this could very well be a type of Staph infection that resides in your nose.  I have Folliculitis also and have dealt with it for years.  Currently, I have a very sore knot beneath the skin on my lower chin along my jawline.  It is red, swollen badly, and about the size of a nickel.  The swelling goes fairly deep.  There is no "head" to it, just a knot.  I get ingrown hairs quite often and many of my hairs will become infected on my face.  I can pull the hair out, and the entire shaft of the hair follicle is encapsulated with infection (hardened pus).  I believe that all of my symptoms are related and each has something to do with the other.  I am headed to the dermatologist today to find out exactly what is going on.  Will re post soon!!!   :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline emmalou290

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 11:14:06 AM »
This is no big deal at all. It's something called impatigo. You need some bactriban cream from the doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypomom

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 02:36:31 PM »
My husband had scabs in his nose that wouldn't heal a few years ago. Our son started getting these huge bumps on the back of his legs that looked like ENOURMOUS zits and I took him to the ped. They were staph infections and the doc said usually someone is a carrier of staph and doesn't know it and it "lives" in their nose. I mentioned my husbands unhealing scabs and he gave me an antibiotic ointment for my husband to put in his nose and meds for my son's legs and my husbands scabs healed and my son never got another staph infection on his legs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Soliss

• Rec's: 12
  • Overthinking...bad...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 04:11:49 PM »
Is it my imagination or does this old thread have over 42000 views????  B-;
Bookmark and Share
When life gives you lemons, just make the damn lemonade and don't overthink it...

Offline cabeazer

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 03:10:41 AM »
 :spineyes: OH ABOUT 8 YRS AGO I HAD THIS AND TOO WAS TERRIFIED ABOUT IT THEY EVENTUALLY HEALED AND ALL IS WELL IT TAKES A BIT FOR THESE TO HEAL BECAUSE OF THE AWKWARD LOCATION YOU WILL BE FINE:)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: