Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: TINGLING IN HANDS AND FEET  (Read 26070 times)

Offline Stress1972

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
TINGLING IN HANDS AND FEET
« on: June 03, 2010, 07:17:53 PM »
Does anyone know if the tingling/numbness you get with MS presents in a few places at the same time or is it more likely to be anxiety? I am going through an MS scare, and experiencing tingling in both hands and feet (toes and sometimes the bottom of my feet). Sometimes I also get a slight tingling feeling near my mouth too. Its been fairly constant for 4 weeks now which worries me, although I do find that I can forget about it during the day. At night though, it seems to be all I can think about.

Thanks again everyone.

Stress1972
Bookmark and Share

Offline jack1000

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Re: TINGLING IN HANDS AND FEET
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:24:51 AM »
It can go on and on with anxiety ... What else is going on, have you been to a

I have symptoms that can fade in and out for many months
Bookmark and Share

Offline Crush

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:02:54 AM »
Does anyone know if the tingling/numbness you get with MS presents in a few places at the same time or is it more likely to be anxiety? I am going through an MS scare, and experiencing tingling in both hands and feet (toes and sometimes the bottom of my feet). Sometimes I also get a slight tingling feeling near my mouth too. Its been fairly constant for 4 weeks now which worries me, although I do find that I can forget about it during the day. At night though, it seems to be all I can think about.

Thanks again everyone.

Stress1972

Yes we all get tingling. I think I can speak for everyone.

Actually.. when I would get it by my mouth I thought it must be my teeth or something causing it.

The tingling over time will shift around. The tingling may leave and get replaced with something else.

Wait.. I'm getting tingling in my left middle finger and ring finger. See what you did to me now? Hehe..

Your nerves are just stressed that's all. Some days will be better than others. But don't be surprised if the tingling stops, it will morph into something else like muscle twitches, pains, etc.
Bookmark and Share

Offline diana66

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 07:20:49 AM »
I have been getting tingling in my fingers and toes (mostly left side) plus around my lips at times...I don't know why but it moves around.
Bookmark and Share

Online sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 07:33:41 AM »
MS usually strikes on one side of the body first.  And a person will typically only get the numbing etc on that one side earlier on in MS.  If you are having tingling on all of your extremities, it is likely not MS.  You are more likely looking at anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline mom2boys

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 07:52:47 AM »
My hands do go numb, somtimes lasting for hours. My Dr. said it was anxiety. It's crazy what anxiety can do.
Bookmark and Share
Hyperchondria(health anxiety), panic disorder,social anxiety, GAD, recently insomnia
Meds tried Lexapro,(twice) Trazodone, Cymbalta, Buspar,xanax, zoloft, back on zoloft for a 2nd time

Offline tigerpaw

• Rec's: 32
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 10:14:46 AM »
Lets post our pictures in the Members Gallery..............

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=2;start=0
Bookmark and Share
Psalm 34:4 'He saved me from all that I feared."......

Offline lbrickme

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 12:01:28 PM »
I had tingling daily for months - it's just started to abate this month.  It started in my left foot, then progressed to my left leg, both legs, then to my arms and even my waist on the right side.  It was sort of a prickly tingling feeling.  I also noticed that my left foot would fall asleep really easy when sitting certain ways.  I was so sure it was something really serious.  I went to my doctor and my therapist both of whom assured me that it was anxiety.  The thing that proved it to me was that I went on a yoga weekend (all by myself, no responsibilities) and the tingling was gone the entire weekend.  Within a day or so of coming home (to all of my responsibilities, stress) my tingling came back.  Obviously MS symptoms don't come and go like that just because you're relaxed.  Now that I've accepted this, after 3-4 months of tingling, my tingling is waning to the point where several days a week I don't feel it at all.  I feel so silly for having wasted so much time worrying.

Here's one thing I know about MS - it generally presents in one spot or area.  It could be one sided like sixpack mentioned.  The caution with that is that you'll find that anxiety symptoms, for some reason, often present on one side more than the other - most often the left side though I'm not sure why.  But sometimes it's both feet or the same spot on both legs.  The reason for this is that the demyelination that occurs with MS usually starts on one nerve/area.  So the fact that you have it in hands & feet makes MS very unlikely - obviously your hands and feet are not innervated by the same nerves.  Also, usually, if you have parasthesia (which is what tingling is) you also have other more pronounced symptoms. People with MS may end up with more widespread tingling/numbness but this is usually after living with the disease for many years (during which many more nerves demyelinate and thus the numbers of tingling/numb spots increase).

Finally, I know when I was going through this part of what I had a problem with is that there are very few reputable websites that list tingling as a symptom of anxiety.  I mentioned this to my therapist recently and he was shocked.  He said tingling/prickling/other paresthesia sensations are one of the most common symptoms he sees in his patients with anxiety.  My primary care physician, who has been practicing for many, many years, said the same thing - she's got tons of patients that experience tingling because of anxiety.  Especially in their hands/feet/face - she told me those are the most common locations (honest!)  And I know that my mother who has suffered from anxiety for 35 years also has experienced parasthesia for years.   Hers is a perceived numbness rather than tingling, often in her left arm or elsewhere on her left side.  She started experiencing it in her early 30's and it's never progressed into MS or any other disease.  In fact in her late 50s she had an MRI for a different reason and her brain looked perfect!

I hope this reassures you somewhat.  I know it's hard to believe that anxiety can do this to you.  I was so sure I had something else wrong with me, but I don't.  Shocking - but true!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline jack1000

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 02:35:42 AM »
lbrickme, thank you for this reply it's one of the best tingling responses I have seen .... I hate the tingling, but have gotten used to it now.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: