Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Prescription for Vitamin D Deficiency  (Read 7602 times)

Offline suzuki600

• Rec's: 0
  • BookOfPsalms
    • Poke This Member
Prescription for Vitamin D Deficiency
« on: May 11, 2010, 10:15:38 PM »
Hello,
I recently had bloodwork at my OBGYN's office when I went for my yearly exam, and got my results back today. Everything was great...including cholesterol, blood sugar, organ functions, etc....accept - my Vitamin D levels!!! They were low! She said they should be at least 39-100 and mine were 21. She said that my doctor was calling me in a prescription for Vitamin D.
Well, I noticed about 6 weeks ago I had this back pain (and still have it). It felt like my spine hurt, or just a weird pain in my spinal area and sometimes it would feel like it just hurt in different areas. I also had frequency and urgency to pee, and went to the doctor a total of 6 times for UIT symptoms! All of my lab results showed no sign of a kidney infection or UTI. I have also seen a Urologist. He saw no sign of infection either, but I have still had the ongoing symptoms of a UTI (the pressure and urgency to pee). The symptoms come and go. Somedays I feel like I don't have the symptoms and maybe a day or so goes by and the symptoms return. The Urologist gave me Vesicare but they hasn't done much of anything.
Now I am wondering if the lack of Vitamin D is what is causing the back/spinal pain and I wonder how long I have been Vitamin D deficient?? I also wonder if I will always have to take a prescription for Vitamin D? For now, he says take 1 tablet once a week for 12 weeks and to come back in for bloodwork to check to see where my levels are.
I drink lots of milk so how could I be deficient? I wonder if this has contributed to the UTI-like symptoms that I have been having as well as the back pain? I am just wondering.

Has anyone dealt with this? (the UTI symptoms with no UTI and also Vitamin D deficiency)??
Your input would be helpful. Thanks.
Bookmark and Share
"God does move mountains, even if he moves them one shovel at a time!"

Offline lovedbymany

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Prescription for Vitamin D Deficiency
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:20:23 PM »
I have been on D prescribed supplement for over 2 years.  I take 20,000 I.U twice a week.  My MD wants my levels at 55.  She said she believes low level contribute to breast cancer, inflammation and MS.  I drink milk, eat yogurt, cheese etc.  My MD told me some people cannot hold onto D.  There is alot of imformation out there on low D.  Check it out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline suzuki600

• BookOfPsalms
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »
Hi lovedbymany,
Wow...I just feel so bad now knowing that I could and should have been taking vitamins before now. I just didn't take any because with anxiety I just fear meds period and I should know that vitamins won't hurt me.
I pray that this all gets corrected soon and that these symptoms I am having will go away and things will get better because the anxiety levels get high when I am stressed and the stress comes when I am trying to figure out what is going on, and it is like I wonder if something is wrong and I can't help but to think about it all the time when I feel the symptoms.
Thanks for your reply.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy131

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »
i too was deficient in vitamin d and had no idea how. i drink a lot of milk and eat my weight in cheese (no joke). the doctor said the same thing- it's very common that some people just don't hold it in well. we get it from vitamins, the sun and some foods. it's a catch 22 with the sun- we load ourselves up on sunscreen b/c of the skin cancer scare, and we don't get vitamin d as a result (even 10-15 minutes helps!)

the vitamins will not make you feel any different, although some people say vitamin d can play a role in depression and aches/pains. the pain you felt in your back could have been any number of things, but very unlikely a direct result of a deficiency in vitamin d.

i took a big dose for about 6 weeks and got tested again, and was within the normal ranges. then my doctor told me to take a calcium & vitamin d supplement just in case. all those vitamins are water soluble anyways- what you don't use, your body will pass.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »
Doctor told me I was Vitamin D deficient and he wanted to put me on a 50,000 IU prescription.  I did a little research and did not like the side effect possibility of that high a dose.  This was at the beginning of the summer, so I decided to make a concerted effort to get at least 10 minutes of noon sun each day (without sunscreen), went back for a retest in 6 weeks and my Vitamin D was normal.

I asked the dermatologist if this much sun was safe, and he admitted that he also is Vitamin D deficient, and that sun is good, so long as you do not burn.

My gastroenterologist suggested that in the winter, when I am not getting the sun here in the northeast, I should take 1000 IU twice a day.  That also works for me.

I was taking 400 IU with Calcium twice a day, and all that gave me was a kidney stone.  I've sworn off the calcium part.
Bookmark and Share

Offline suzuki600

• BookOfPsalms
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 11:22:04 PM »
Hello Everyone!
Good hearing from everyone! Yes, I have heard the same things about Vitamin D absorption and I did hear that some people just don't absorb it well. I do know that I am one that doesn't like to be directly in the sun a lot. I do find myself avoiding it a lot! Lol. I just don't like being out in there sun. For one, my anxiety level would increase in the sun, and I would kinda' anxious in thinking "what if" thoughts. I will try to spend more time in the sun though.
I went to my Urologist again today for an ultrasound of my kidneys and bladder and both looked completely normal. I am thankful for that. My back pain seemed to VANISH when I got my results back! I have had this back pain for weeks! - more like almost 2 months and BOOM - I get the results back today that my kidneys look great and have not noticed the back pain at all since then. Maybe I pulled a muscle or something. I was thinking maybe it was the low Vitamin D but my doctor said that he doesn't think that the back pain is associated with low Vitamin D levels. Who knows??! I am starting to think the back pain may have been STRESS!!??!! I am kinda laughing at myself but it did really hurt for a long time. I did carry a heavy back pack to class each day for about 2 months and then the pain started and my family seemed to think I had possibly pulled a muscle or something, and they may have been right! I associated the back pain with the bladder pressure and urgency, so who knows!!
I am currently taking 50,000 units of Vitamin D once a week for 12 weeks. I am to return in 12 weeks to see where my levels are at that time.
I am also going to start taking vitamins tomorrow. I need to take them anyway..and this situation has taught me a lesson!

Thanks for all of your replies! I am new here so it was nice hearing from you all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 01:05:43 PM »
Your back pain was absolutely stress.

Read any of the books by Dr. John Sarno, M.D.  Many of his patients see their pain disappear immediately upon learning that there is no structural reason for their symptoms.  The brain is a dangerous, wonderful thing.

I would be interested to hear how your body responds to the 50,000.00 units of Vitamin D.  Please let us know at the end of the 12 weeks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline suzuki600

• BookOfPsalms
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 10:19:55 PM »
Hi AOkay-
I think you are right! The back pain is GONE! - totally! I mean, as soon as I got the results back from the bloodwork I felt better, and then when I went back to the Urologist last Thursday for an ultrasound of my kidneys and bladder and the doctor told me my results in the office I felt MORE relieved. He saw no blockages or anything abnormal, so that made me feel much better. On top of that, I got my Pap Smear results back in the mail a few days ago, which indicated no abnormal cells, so that TOTALLY made me feel even more better. I noticed the back pain has just vanished but it hurt sooooo bad for WEEKS! I mean, at least 2 months! I was in pain, and no one knew what it could be. I started to think it was really something terribly wrong. Stress is really something. I can not believe it can cause all these pains in your body. I have had back pain from stress before, but not like that. What was even more scary was that I was having bladder issues as well...frequent urination, pressure and pain in my bladder so I really did not know what to think at that point.

I started the Vitamin D last Tuesday. I only take one pill per week. I feel a lot better though. I really do. I will let you all know how things are at the end of the 12 weeks. :action-smiley-065:

G-Nite for now everyone!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: