Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Articles   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I'm too scared to go to the doctor  (Read 14578 times)

Offline Emkat

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
I'm too scared to go to the doctor
« on: January 15, 2007, 02:43:12 AM »
I have so many symptoms and I think that getting them checked out would make me feel better.  Yet I am terrified of finding out that there is something really wrong with me.  The thought of going for a diagnostic test paralyzes me with dread.  I can't even weigh myself out of fear that I may have lost weight which in my mind equals terminal cancer.  Does anyone feel the same?
Bookmark and Share

Offline gloomy

• Poke This Member
Re: I'm too scared to go to the doctor
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 03:29:05 AM »
Yes I know how you feel.  I hate the doctors aswell.  Just getting my blood pressure taken results in a panic attack. I have severe health anxiety yet wont go and see the doctor about my many symptoms.  Its wierd I know. >:(
Bookmark and Share
I am a survivor

Offline gracie1

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 08:45:51 AM »
Emkat:  I am the exact same way.  I know exactly how you feel.  I have a scale in my office under my desk and I secretly weigh myself all the time.  I get downon the floor and make sure the little line is exactly at "0" before i get on the scale. If I weigh less, even the slightest change than I was before, I go into A COMPLETE PANIC.  I check my saliva for blood and everything.  I did bring myself to get a CBC blood test last week and everything was normal.  I'll be OK for a couple weeks then the dreadful thought process begins again.  You are NOT alone and I fear EVERY KIND of terminal cancer also.  It is horrible. Hang in there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Emkat

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 01:38:04 PM »
Thank you for your responses.  This is the first time I have not felt alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kris_99

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 06:50:51 PM »
I'm exactly the same too. There seem to be two main types of hypochondriacs - the ones who go to the doctors for every little ailment they get, and the ones who do everything they can to avoid going. I'm in the second group! :p

I've had a lot of symptoms myself lately. Like you, I haven't been to the doctor yet. I'm always sure I have something terrible. It doesn't help with my anixiety, spending every minute willing my body to get better, while at the back of my mind I'm scared I have an awful illness.

It *is* nice to know you're not alone though. I found this forum recently, and that's the really big thing I like about it. There are lots of other "me's" out there :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline jenny649

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 10:11:54 PM »
I'm definitely the other kind of hypochondriac, I go to the doctor for every little ache and pain.I always read about diseases that early diagnosis is key, so I want to get to the doctor as soon as possible. It's not exactly a bad thing that you're too scared to go to the doctor, it's probably the same as going to doctor, them telling you it's noting to worry about, and you not feeling any better about it. I know it's hard though, and I know how you feel having all these symptoms and being convinced you have cancer. Every time I see that word I get a pang of pain somewhere in my body, I hate it. Anyway, hang in there, hopefully it will get better for all of us.
Bookmark and Share
"I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it." --Groucho Marx

Offline parrynoid

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 02:22:07 PM »
I am in the middle group.  LOL.  I would like to go to the doctor for every ache and pain, but know that if I go down that path, it will grow into an addition and it is not a greta addiction to have.  Self diagnosis is not a great thing either though.... but, in saying that, I have had stomach crampiness and bowel issues for the past two weeks and am just going to hope it is IBS :winking0008:  If I started going to doctors it woul dbe blown out of  proportion, but who knows.... I am afraid of ovarian cancer, so perhaps that is why I dont give in and go. What fun!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpms

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 07:46:26 PM »
I go to the doctor every time I have an ache.  I ask for tests.  When they order the tests...I am convinced without a doubt that I have the disease or they wouldn't order the test.  It is a horrible cycle.  My life is then put on hold until I get the results.  The anxiety of the disease isn't as bad as waiting for test result for me.  I feel as if life is passing me by while I worry!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Im_unique

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 11:09:39 AM »
I thought I was weird  ;*).  I am so scared to go to the dr.  I will do almost anything to convince myself I am okay and don't need to go.  I too am like petrified to have by blood pressure taken.  If they didn't do that I would go to the dr.  Isn't that crazy.   And yet I smoked for 20 yrs knowing that was heading for trouble but yet I am scared to have my bp taken in which case if something is wrong they can give me meds for it.  Yesterday I went with my husband to his dr appt.  Big mistake I think because his pressure was up and he has been feeling fine.  So you all know where that went.... >:(.  Now I am feeling anxious thinking about my bp.   Somebody please help with maybe some suggestions that can ease my mind about going to the dr.  I know I need to go my stomach has been giving trouble for sometime now.  Tried the self diagnosis ya know.   Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance   :action-smiley-065:
Rose
Bookmark and Share

Offline fauna

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 11:37:52 AM »
I also hate having my blood pressure taken and it almost ALWAYS goes way up when I'm at the doctor.  The last one I saw (a couple of days ago) was very concerned.  I suggested that maybe I should go to a drugstore and do it myself when I am not at the doctor's office.  She said it was a good idea.

I also fall into a middle category when it comes to seeings doctors.  I often wait things out and self-treat, but when I start to get depressed and anxious I go to the doc and get all the tests done that I can and I never believe them when they tell me nothing is wrong.  If something is "wrong" is it usually something very small and managable.  But just being at the doctor's office gives me the willies, which is why I often avoid it.  I hate how cold and unfriendly those places seem!  I am also terrified that the person I see will be rude or incompetent!
Bookmark and Share

Offline valleyplayer42

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Pissed
    Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 06:38:34 PM »
everyone, i am JUST LIKE all of you.. i get nervous about every little thing.. if i get a bump or a pimple on me somewhere, i like quickly make sure its a pimple or something because ill think its like skin cancer..... i am a very nervous, worried person, and i always feel sick, it makes me constantly feel nautious, its so bad.. i dont know what to do anymore, i am 19 years old, its been like this since i was like 15-16 years old.. its ridiculous, i cant even live life the way i want too.. even if i  like think about what i have to do in a few days, or for work tomorroww, or even what im eating for dinner, i like get nautious for no reason, this is unreal guys, i dont get it..my stomache always gurgles, thats been doing that for years also, i try to eat healthy and this and that, but it doesnt help so much.. i alway fear i have like stomache cancer, and if i go to the doctors to get checked, and they tell me evreythings ok, i always think that they missed something, its ridiculous!!

thank you
mark
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jadex9

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 04:35:44 PM »
Same boat here, I hate the doctor, I HATE blood work, and im a cyberchondriac, so I diagnose myself without having the slightest clue when it comes to medical problems.

Cyberchondriacs, were a weird bunch.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietynotfun

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 02:02:50 PM »
im so afraid to go to the doctor. espically the eye doctor. i'm afraid that they will say i have something that i fear of. everytime i get blood taken, i pass out. therefore i'm afraid for them to draw blood. deep down i want to go to the doctor to hear everythings okay. but my HA tells me that i'm not okay. so i get scared and i chicken out on actually going to the doctor. it really sucks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cheryjeff

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 11:36:58 PM »
I just went to the Dr Friday and he called today and said that we need to talk about some of your tests when can you come in. Duh, not a smart thing to say to someone who freaks out about thier health.
So I am going tomorrow to see what he has to say. Wish me luck,.
Bookmark and Share
we are twice armed if we fight with faith,
Cheryl

Tags: