Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Pain in left arm, chest pains, please help.  (Read 8610 times)

Offline OCDP

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Pain in left arm, chest pains, please help.
« on: March 27, 2010, 07:00:49 PM »
Why, why, why must this keep happening to me! I am sitting at home as relaxed as I can be and I am hit with all these things. I don't think I am having a panic attack because this has been happening for almost 2 hours now.

I just got hit with pain in my left arm, and it's hard to describe how it feels. It's more so in the shoulder now, and of course it has to be the left arm! I also keep getting chest pains, and I am totally freaking out that I am going to have a heart attack at any minute. I am so freaking scared! I don't cry too much these days but this is bringing the tears back. I wasn't doing anything to hurt my arm, just sitting on the couch relaxing and then bam, pains.

I don't want to Google, I don't want to read anything that's going to fuel the fire. I know what these pains mean anyways, and I don't know if I this is just anxiety or something serious. I was at my doctor's yesterday and I meant to ask him all about heart attacks (again) but I had too many other more important issues to address. I am 23 year old male, overweight, smoker. Don't know what I am asking, maybe just some re-assurance? What could cause these types of pains in the left arm, from the shoulder all the way down through the arm? Chest pains I am a little more familiar with, not comforatable, but familiar. Ahh I am so unbelievably tired of pains, headaches, health fears. I am so scared and frustrated. Since writing this , I have a headache now and man that's just more fuel to the fire. I am so convinced I am going to have a heart attack!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noahs Mom

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pain in left arm, chest pains, please help.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 07:20:06 PM »
I came on the boards because I've been having weird chest feelings and a weird pain in my left arm. 

Your post reminded me that sometimes our bodies feel weird scary pain for no real reason - just a nerve sending a signal...
Most chest and arm pains are not cardiac related at all.  I come here a lot just to remind myself that there are millions of people feeling the same way I am right now.

Scary, weird feelings... You're not crazy, just very aware of changes in your body.
Bookmark and Share
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline kendramae09

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 07:21:35 PM »
I'm the exact same way as you!! I get like throbbing type pains in my left arm and I'll get chest pains right in the center at the same time. It's anxiety. I read somewhere that anxiety and heart attacks have like the same "nerve" or something so anxiety attacks can mimick heart attacks because of that? I don't exactly remember what it said. But I do know that it is anxiety because I went to the ER one time because of it.

Also, heart attacks usually happen within minutes. So it's probably not a heart attack. But if the pain turns to a crushing sensation or if it gets worse maybe you should get it checked out.

But it's probably just anxiety! Try to distract yourself and relax :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline johndeere216

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 07:55:13 PM »
I agree it's probably anxiety.  When I started getting it I went to the ER twice thinking I was dying of a heart attack.

That said I would get it checked out.  The fear is horrible.  Get it checked so you can be done with it and put it behind you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chewie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 11:04:23 PM »
I don't think that at 23 years old that you have to worry about having a heart attack. I am sure that it is something related to anxiety issues. The human body is a very strange device and as someone else mentioned, the nerves that are associated with anxiety attacks are probably the same as or quite similar to the heart. At the very least have your doctor check you out and once you find out that you are fine then don't worry about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JCWest

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 12:14:18 AM »
Why, why, why must this keep happening to me! I am sitting at home as relaxed as I can be and I am hit with all these things. I don't think I am having a panic attack because this has been happening for almost 2 hours now.

I just got hit with pain in my left arm, and it's hard to describe how it feels. It's more so in the shoulder now, and of course it has to be the left arm! I also keep getting chest pains, and I am totally freaking out that I am going to have a heart attack at any minute. I am so freaking scared! I don't cry too much these days but this is bringing the tears back. I wasn't doing anything to hurt my arm, just sitting on the couch relaxing and then bam, pains.

I don't want to Google, I don't want to read anything that's going to fuel the fire. I know what these pains mean anyways, and I don't know if I this is just anxiety or something serious. I was at my doctor's yesterday and I meant to ask him all about heart attacks (again) but I had too many other more important issues to address. I am 23 year old male, overweight, smoker. Don't know what I am asking, maybe just some re-assurance? What could cause these types of pains in the left arm, from the shoulder all the way down through the arm? Chest pains I am a little more familiar with, not comforatable, but familiar. Ahh I am so unbelievably tired of pains, headaches, health fears. I am so scared and frustrated. Since writing this , I have a headache now and man that's just more fuel to the fire. I am so convinced I am going to have a heart attack!!

OCDP I have constant throbbing, sharp, stabbing pains, you name it, when I'm in the REALM of anxiety, not even when I'm having a panic attack. If I'm going through an anxious period, my chest ACHES for about a week before it starts to subside, makes breathing difficult, exercise, you name it. You're not alone  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline OCDP

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 12:13:33 PM »
Thanks a lot for the replies.

The problem with me is it seems I take two steps back rather than two steps forward. I have been through this fear more times than I can count, the only difference this time was/is the left arm pain. It's still happening, but as mentioned, if this were a heart attack, I think it might have hit by now, seeing as how this has been off and on since Saturday now. I know the chances of something like that happening at age 23 are slim but there is no logic or reasoning when I go through these panic attacks.

I still can't figure out why my left arm would hurt, it's freaking me out still, but I am getting a bit better with it. The chest pains still occur but I am certain those are just anxiety related. Hopefully I can go a couple weeks panic free now, because the last few weeks have been nothing but stress, panic and constant anxiety

Bookmark and Share

Offline hs001

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 12:26:28 PM »
Sometimes it seems to me that anxiety is this smart intelligent predator that is always finding ways to get back into my life. As soon as I find a way to relax and as soon as I come to terms with all existing symptoms, it throws a new one at me and gets me back to square one. Right now I am fighting a combination of irregular heart beat, chills and constricted breathing. I am sure that as soon as I get past these symptoms (which might take a week or more) and finally go back to my normal self, some new or a variation of an old symptom will appear and I my anxiety will kick back in. This new pain in left arm is your anxiety's "trick" to get back into your life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noahs Mom

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 09:01:59 AM »
I'm currently on a heart issue/brain tumor combo.  And maybe a little bit of lymphoma.   After dealing with HA this long, I've come to terms with knowing that these symptoms are MOST LIKELY in my head.  I mean, there are REAL feelings and REAL pain involved, but the cause of the pain is a perpetrating lie in my mind.  It's not easy, it's very uncomfortable, and highly unsettling, but it's a part of my life.

To be faced with a affliction, it could be worse.  I'd much rather have HA than ... oh, I don't know... no legs or arms.  THAT would be much worse.  Celebrate the good times when anxiety seems under control and fight through the bad times when you seem to be under anxiety's control.
Bookmark and Share
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline mrjim

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 05:27:38 AM »
hi i get the exact symptoms an pains i was thinkin for a year an a half it was a heart attack an as soon as i found out another symptom i suddenly get it it has to be anxiety i have had adout every heart test there is. ipersonally think it is a nerve problem because i still get these pains at random times throughout the day for no reason an the dizziness too, terrible dizziness, but i also get ear "ringing" tinnitus with it and no haert complaint causes tinnitus. at the moment the pains are real bad but i have just started celexa to try an combat the anxiety and i was obsessed it was gonna give me a heart attack its been about 2and a half weeks on celexa so far so it prob hasnt kicked in yet but the anxiety is there. i have been referred to a neurologist for this now hopefully he will shed some light on this issue. i also find these pains may some simes be exacerbated by eating and occur about 1-2 hurs after eating. take care bst reagrds jim (ps sorry bout the spelling lol)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: