Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Ever Tried GABA, 5-HTP or L-Theanine?  (Read 10639 times)

Offline zengurl

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Ever Tried GABA, 5-HTP or L-Theanine?
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:37:18 AM »
Hello.

I'm new here and am trying to find a way to live with GAD. I want to have a relaxed feeling. I want to be able to just have a worry free day or if I do worry have it be a passing thought. I was on meds. It took 6 months to find one that worked and after one year I had gained 50lbs. That presented a whole new set of worries. Well now I need to find something and I have been reading about GABA, 5-HTP and L-Theanine as possible supplements that help with GAD.

I have tried 5-Htp and really didnt feel like it helped me. I just started taking GABA yesterday and it made me sleepy and I actually went to bed at 8pm after fighting myself not to take a nap ealier in the day. I did have vivid, colourful dreams but not as vivid or disturbing as I do when on certain meds. So far all I can say is that I had a decent nights rest. A good nights rest for me would involve no dreams.

I have not tried L-Theanine but its said to be a precursor for your body synthesizing its own GABA. They say its better becuase oral GABA doesnt cross the blood brain barrier easily. But it seems to have done something to me because I dont ever feel sleepy. I usually lay in bed talking myself down into sleep or staying up til I am exhausted and sometimes even then I dont sleep.

So I just wanted to know if anyone is using or have tried these and if it helped them or what they noticed while trying it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dbirm77

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ever Tried GABA, 5-HTP or L-Theanine?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:13:43 AM »
Early on I took St. John's Wort which really helped.
I have also tried Kava, which worked less than the St. John's Wort, at least for me.

Theanine made me feel "off".

Now I take a B-complex vitamin and fish oil.
Seems to be working.

Good Luck,

Drew
Bookmark and Share
Expect.....anxiety to come.
Accept.....anxiety and all it's sensations.
Ask.........anxiety for more!

Rinse and repeat!

Offline lucho

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 01:14:29 AM »
 I am currently taking l-theanine before sleep with good results.I  think it calms me down
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cally539

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 06:38:05 PM »
Does anyone know of any side effects of taking l-theanine? I'm thinking about trying the supplement instead of just drinking green tea.
Bookmark and Share

Online AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »
Sorry, I don't know the side effects of L-theanine, but, for whatever it is worth, it does not work for me. 
When I read this initial post in March I ran right out and bought a jar of 60 200 mg. tablets and took one.  Absolutely no effect.
For those helped by L-theanine, I'm glad you found it to be effective.  I have a jar with 59 tablets left I would like to get to you.
To Cally, I find chamomile tea somewhat relaxing, as opposed to green tea.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cally539

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply AOKAY. I also enjoy chamomile tea and drink it before I go to bed, but I stick with green tea through the day. I think it calms me down, but it is probably just a placebo effect!
Bookmark and Share

Offline fatcharlie

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 06:49:07 PM »
All of the supplements I have read in this thread I have heard do help. I guess it depends on the person. Also, a little cardio exercise works wonders.  ;D
Bookmark and Share

Tags: